Is this routine good for strength?

Jun Fan Lee said:
Compound = more than one muscle , Bench press = only movment at the elbow.

Bicep curl with dumbells = 2 movements wrist and elbow.

uhm, so far you got everything in this thread wrong so i dont doubt that you will fail here too, but how exactly is there only movement at the elbow during bench presses. i imagine your shoulders move too................maybe you are confusing bench presses with tricep extensions...a exercise very dear to you bodybuilders.

jsut to judge from my own experience. i waste the first 1,5 years of my training on bodybuilding......got nice mass results, but got really shitty strenght results. i got more strenght in the 6 months that i follow strenght routines then in the 1,5 year that i did bodybuidling type training.

i have nothing agaisnt BB......but if you want strenght train for strenght, BBers might be strong compared to average ppl....they are stronger then average ppl, but are significaly weakers then strenght athlethes.

and please dont take ronie coleman as an example coz we all know what he did first

Jun Fan Lee said:
and to answer your question are bodybuilders called upon to use strenght in any athletic endeavor when in competition ? yes they do , its called posing , and they have to pose durring the prejudging in a competiton for 2 hours straight , even when they're not being compared to others , they have to stand in whats called a relaxed pose for up to 2 hours , and this relaxed pose demands you stand with hands by your side fully tensed until called out for a comparision , and once you are compared to others you're asked to do one of 7 mantatory poses , which are isometric exercises in essence , imagine trying to full tense and contract every single muscle in unisen and holding it for periods of time , all the while in a water and carb-depleted state with as low as 3% bodyfat under hot lights , so yes they use some form of muscle strenght and muscle endurance at a competition .

Jun Fan Lee said:
Bench press = only movment at the elbow.
Read the stickies, then come back here with a new account.

Seriously, between the shit you've spouted here and your sheer arrogance I don't see any way back for you.

vjekoboban said:
uhm, so far you got everything in this thread wrong so i dont doubt that you will fail here too, but how exactly is there only movement at the elbow during bench presses. i imagine your shoulders move too................maybe you are confusing bench presses with tricep extensions...a exercise very dear to you bodybuilders.

jsut to judge from my own experience. i waste the first 1,5 years of my training on bodybuilding......got nice mass results, but got really shitty strenght results. i got more strenght in the 6 months that i follow strenght routines then in the 1,5 year that i did bodybuidling type training.

i have nothing agaisnt BB......but if you want strenght train for strenght, BBers might be strong compared to average ppl....they are stronger then average ppl, but are significaly weakers then strenght athlethes.

and please dont take ronie coleman as an example coz we all know what he did first

I'm curious as to what you do exactly for strenght training ?

Jun Fan Lee said:

I'm curious as to how you bench without moving your shoulders...

Jun Fan Lee said:
you know there's a training log forum where you can see that for a lot of people. I have a log I update periodically, not all my workouts are in there, but at least one out of three is.

The Woggle said:
I'm curious as to how you bench without moving your shoulders...

The same way you believe in a guy who has a virgin for a mom and a ghost for a dad. :wink:

Urban said:
you know there's a training log forum where you can see that for a lot of people. I have a log I update periodically, not all my workouts are in there, but at least one out of three is.

I just looked at your log and you include heavy basic exercises , which is what I was saying is the quickest route to strenght & size.

Nobody is arguing about that. the reason everyone says you're full of shit is cause you say bodybuilding is a good method to acheive strength and curls are a compound movement, and neither statement is true. Nor to I even beleive curls are neccessary in a strength routine for 90% of everyone.

Jun Fan Lee said:
I just looked at your log and you include heavy basic exercises , which is what I was saying is the quickest route to strenght & size.

No you were talking about isolation exercises and how body building routines are the best for gaining strength. I think that somewhere along the line what you are saying and what you are trying to say have taken different paths. I have a feeling you really don't have a good idea of what you are actually trying to say.

Jun Fan Lee said:
The same way you believe in a guy who has a virgin for a mom and a ghost for a dad. :wink:

So my shoulders don't move when I bench on account of faith?

Jun Fan Lee said:

Instead of attacking my faith, why don't you enlighten us as to how you bench without moving your shoulders...

...I'm waiting...

:wink:

Urban said:
Nobody is arguing about that. the reason everyone says you're full of shit is cause you say bodybuilding is a good method to acheive strength and curls are a compound movement, and neither statement is true. Nor to I even beleive curls are neccessary in a strength routine for 90% of everyone.

I stand by that statement , bodybuilding is a great method to acheive strenght , flat bench , deadlifts and squat are all bodybuilding exercises , they were used well before there were powerliting competitions started.

The Woggle said:
Instead of attacking my faith, why don't you enlighten us as to how you bench without moving your shoulders...

...I'm waiting...

:wink:

You lower your arms then then you press them up , where are the shoulders moving to? its not like a squat where you knees are bending , and torso , and elbows etc etc.

Jun Fan Lee said:
You lower your arms then then you press them up , where are the shoulders moving to? its not like a squat where you knees are bending , and torso , and elbows etc etc.

That's funny, because last time I checked, when I press, my deltoid moves, too. Unless the deltoid isn't part of the shoulder...

EDIT:
Oh, and btw, you still never responded to post #39 by Urban, which pretty much sums it up...

It's not possible for your shoulders to not move at all.

Impossible.

The Woggle said:
That's funny, because last time I checked, when I press, my deltoid moves, too. Unless the deltoid isn't part of the shoulder...

Sure your delt moves slightly but its not like a multijoint movement , thats why bench presses work the front delt .

During the concentric phase of the lift there is adduction of the arm if your elbows are flared out (which they probably shouldn't be). Rotation of the shoulder is the ONLY way to abduct your arm. if you keep your elbows tucked your shoulder STILL rotates as you lower your elbows to your sides. There is also extension at the elbow. Rotation of the shoulder + extension of the elbow = multijoint movement = compound movement. period

If you don't rotate your shoulders during bench press it looks more like this:
BBLyingTricepsExt.gif

and why didn't you respond to my post earlier?

Urban said:
During the concentric phase of the lift there is adduction of the arm if your elbows are flared out (which they probably shouldn't be). Rotation of the shoulder is the ONLY way to abduct your arm. if you keep your elbows tucked your shoulder STILL rotates as you lower your elbows to your sides. There is also extension at the elbow. Rotation of the shoulder + extension of the elbow = multijoint movement = compound movement. period

If you don't rotate your shoulders during bench press it looks more like this:
BBLyingTricepsExt.gif

and why didn't you respond to my post earlier?

that guy is a beast, he can do those things forever.

Jun Fan Lee said:
I stand by that statement , bodybuilding is a great method to acheive strenght , flat bench , deadlifts and squat are all bodybuilding exercises , they were used well before there were powerliting competitions started.

did u ever hear of guys like arthur saxon,eugene sandow,goerner,hackenschmidt, they were usin some of those strength exercises before bodybuilding was a sport and when strength was everything

Back