Is this place legit?

Shulom1***

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to brooklyn and I was wonder what peoples opinion were on this place, and if it's legit. I'm a noob to the whole BJJ world ( but not grappling per se) and I want to make sure I am going to a place that is good.

Home - WILLIAMSBURG BJJ

If you have a train pass why not just take the 30 minute ride and go to marcelos or renzos?

If you have a train pass why not just take the 30 minute ride and go to marcelos or renzos?

Because if I can decent instruction at a cheap price, I would rather save the money. Of course I would love to train at those places but you need to shell out big time.

Is it just me or the guy never mentionned who gave him his BJJ brown belt?

website give a lot of information on who he trains with and mention some kind of affiliation with Almeida.

You should contact Almeida and ask him if he is one of his student.

Is it just me or the guy never mentionned who gave him his BJJ brown belt?

website give a lot of information on who he trains with and mention some kind of affiliation with Almeida.

You should contact Almeida and ask him if he is one of his student.

I know, maybe this is a job for Bullshido. They ARE useful for somethings....

I know, maybe this is a job for Bullshido. They ARE useful for somethings....

I just find it strange that a brown belt would start his own "brand name" if he was a brown belt under Ricardo Almeida.

It does not mean he is a fake. some guys are independant from very early in their career.

but he put almeida name on his logo so you need to contact almeida and ask him if it is one of brown belt. or maybe go on almeida website and see if he is listed as an "official" affiliate program.

I just find it strange that a brown belt would start his own "brand name" if he was a brown belt under Ricardo Almeida.

It does not mean he is a fake. some guys are independant from very early in their career.

but he put almeida name on his logo so you need to contact almeida and ask him if it is one of brown belt. or maybe go on almeida website and see if he is listed as an "official" affiliate program.

coincidentally he isnt listed as one....

Because if I can decent instruction at a cheap price, I would rather save the money. Of course I would love to train at those places but you need to shell out big time.

BJJ is expensive in NYC, plain and simple. But you get what you pay for. If you're looking to train very casually once or twice a week, find whatever's most convenient and go there. But if you plan to invest your time heavily, you ought to pay accordingly in order to get the most value for it. Do yourself a favor and take a week or two to compare schools and see what really drives the price difference. Black belts with years of experience make pilgrimages to train with the likes of Marcelo Garcia and John Danaher (Renzo's); you're coming this far, don't short-change yourself now.

BJJ is expensive in NYC, plain and simple. But you get what you pay for. If you're looking to train very casually once or twice a week, find whatever's most convenient and go there. But if you plan to invest your time heavily, you ought to pay accordingly in order to get the most value for it. Do yourself a favor and take a week or two to compare schools and see what really drives the price difference. Black belts with years of experience make pilgrimages to train with the likes of Marcelo Garcia and John Danaher (Renzo's); you're coming this far, don't short-change yourself now.

I think you're right.

I don't like the fact that they have a student creed (kind of forcing ideals on you) and am often weary of instructors with "TMA" backgrounds who now teach BJJ.

They might be legit but have too much of the TMA feel for me.

They have a separate "Randori" day which I would probably not like to have. Instead I'd like to have some kind of open mat after class where everyone can just help each other out,try out techniques,and open roll.
If they have this then it's cool.

Can you make it out to the city (Manhattan), you don't necessarily have to train in Brooklyn if you live in Brooklyn, I commute into the city it's worth it, you might be able to train at my gym, send me a PM.

I don't like the fact that they have a student creed (kind of forcing ideals on you) and am often weary of instructors with "TMA" backgrounds who now teach BJJ.

They might be legit but have too much of the TMA feel for me.

They have a separate "Randori" day which I would probably not like to have and instead I'd like to have some kind of open mat after class.

Can you make it out to the city (Manhattan), you don't necessarily have to train in Brooklyn if you live in Brooklyn, I commute into the city it's worth it, you might be able to train at my gym, send me a PM.

I know I used to live in Brooklyn. I'm moving back =D!

Honestly the place looks pretty solid. Lots of classes and decent instructors. If you're just getting started it looks like a fine investment. World class training is fantastic, but it always just depends on your goals. Frankly, being close by and able to afford good training will take you far too.

It seems legit for what it's worth....but honestly, you're in New York. There's no reason not to train under a black belt, even if it's not at one of the big name schools, unless you're totally strapped for cash. The instructors there are a brown belt and a purple belt. In Brooklyn alone I know there are a number of black belts teaching.

It seems legit for what it's worth....but honestly, you're in New York. There's no reason not to train under a black belt, even if it's not at one of the big name schools, unless you're totally strapped for cash. The instructors there are a brown belt and a purple belt. In Brooklyn alone I know there are a number of black belts teaching.

Help a brother out! Point me in the right direction!

YES this place is legit.

Roger is a very tough dude! Hell, eons past me. Really cool too.

I usually see him at Prof Ricardos twice a week.

YES this place is legit.

Roger is a very tough dude! Hell, eons past me. Really cool too.

I usually see him at Prof Ricardos twice a week.

cool.

Wow could you imagine how this thread woulda gone on in bullshido? It would have been 3 months and two posting of ssn# a gong sau, 3 different thread culls, and I dont know what to tell you to show for it.

Back