Is this normal behaviour for an instructor.

Look son, back in my day, we didn't have "instructors", we just had one HOSS that was better than ya AND LET ME TELL YA he'd stretch ya from one side of the mats to the other, make ya scream, break your bones, and then he'd say to ya, "That's a shoot, son, that's a goddamn shoot." and afterwards you'd be expected to carry your butt on down to the state carnival and put a fantastic goddamn show, BECAUSE THAT'S HOW YOU PROTECT THE BUSINESS.

^ True on the Darce.

Maybe since TS is new, he doesnt know the difference?

Not a stab at you TS, just seeing if there is a logical explanation besides, your instructor is a dick.

maybe the first thing you were told was 'tap early'

maybe he noticed you werent tapping early.

maybe he wanted you to start tapping early.

tap early.

Then he would have been choked out.

But he got neck cranked not choked.

Not necessarily, the entry for a Darce can be unpleasant to say the least and depending I've had it done to me where I want to exit half guard quickly. Sometimes I'll even set that top hook and force him out into side control.

Also keep in mind that this guy is a white belt and might not know the difference, hell he might not even really know what a neck crank feels like. No offense but we dont know a lot about the white belt.

In addition it might have been a no gi class, or an MMA class. He never designates that it is a BJJ class. In some catch wrestling and submission wrestling classes this would be fair game even if it was a neck crank (still a dick move but hey, not all grappling classes/instructors were created equal)

Well, maybe you were leaving your neck extremely exposed, and he just grabbed it to teach you to protect your neck...

Does seem a bit odd though, kinda depends on the situation really. Did you ask him about it? Because I always ask the other guy what they did/ what I can do to prevent something if I get tapped, because normally when I get tapped it's by something I don't know the defense for.

^ True on the Darce.

Maybe since TS is new, he doesnt know the difference?

Not a stab at you TS, just seeing if there is a logical explanation besides, your instructor is a dick.

I'll try and answer some of the questions people asked

No, it wasn't a Darce, or an Anaconda.

He is a BJJ brown belt.

We had been rolling for about 10 minuted already, so I was pretty tired, and admittedly didn't know what to do. If I was less fatigued, there may have been something I could have done to stop it.

He didn't just apply a little pressure, he cranked it hard, then kinda jerked it from side to side.

It was no Gi.

Also, cheers for all your input.

I feel like I've read this one before for some reason.

Another post where someone tells a story that sounds like bull and they don't post any actual details.

Just post the instructor name / school so they can defend themselves or others can input.

Grappling forum should be for asking questions from serious schools. This sounds like backyard garbage, any shady school like this should be shut down.

Are you training with a "self made" brown belt, in some 30 dollar per month gym?

I have only been training for a little while, so I'm still a white belt. But the other day we were rolling, and there weren't any people for me to partner up with so the instructor offered to roll with me. I agreed expecting to get worked, but also to learn a lot. I was half right.

We rolled for a bit, I was doing well, but still getting dominated. Anyway at one point the instructor was in my half guard, I have a pretty poor guard, so I was expecting him to pass easy. Instead he just locked both hands behind my head and cranked the shit out of my neck, I thought it was like a guard passing strategy, so I relaxed my legs completely so he could pass without any 'trouble'. It was hurting quite a bit at this point, but he just kept my chin pressed to my chest, while jerking my head side to side until I tapped.

Not wanting to look like a bitch, I just got up and told him good job etc, etc. But my neck has been sore for about a week now, and I was wondering if this is common practice.

yeah the guy that owns my school (isn't generally the instructor) does neck cranks. I had never done it at any other school and they got extremely mad if somebody did. he did it to me and really fucked my neck up. He's like 200+ of solid muscle and im 120lb. He used extremely unneccesary force on me like its an ego booster for him

interesting. seems to me like a pretty clear cut case of douchery, yet a lot of folks are eager to blame it on the TS. why is that? some educated skepticism is fine (and has been answered by the ts), but some of y'all are off the deep end.

when you're first starting out in a sport like this, you need to be communicated with and looked out for by your instructor. you don't teach a noob to protect his neck by cranking it. you don't teach a noob to tap early by cranking his arm. you teach by vocalizing expectations and, if need be, demonstrating a consequence in a controlled and non-damaging manner. ie, get your grips on a guillotine, apply small amounts of pressure, and explain why he's there and how to escape.

i suppose an argument can be made that it's a "teaching style". if so it's a horrible one. if you're gonna "teach a lesson" like that, any reasonable instructor should know to use a choke, not a crank or joint lock. and *if* the TS was acting inappropriately prior to or during the roll, some intense shoulder pressure or KOB would be more than sufficient to take him down a notch.

more than likely the instructor's just an asshole.

interesting. seems to me like a pretty clear cut case of douchery, yet a lot of folks are eager to blame it on the TS. why is that? some educated skepticism is fine (and has been answered by the ts), but some of y'all are off the deep end.

I think people make assumptions based on experience and in most people's experience, in most situations its the whitebelt's fault not the instructor's.

was there any choking involved? If not then find another gym.

Sounds pretty dodgy to me. In our club neck cranks and leg locks are not done by or to white belts during sparring. Learnt in class of course but not used in sparring till blue belt.

And how on earth does a white belt do "pretty good" against a brown belt? Unless you outweigh him by like 20kgs and even then ....?

That's a very stupid thing to do for an instructor. What a jerk. I mean, you're a new guy who doesn't know how to defend anything and he cranks the shit out of your neck?

Regarding tapping early, you're new, tap early. It's ok.

Really stupid guy. If you have the choice to train somewhere else,do it.
The instructor should learn that he'll scare new guys to train at his gym.

Back