Is this normal behaviour for an instructor.

Gladstone

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have only been training for a little while, so I'm still a white belt. But the other day we were rolling, and there weren't any people for me to partner up with so the instructor offered to roll with me. I agreed expecting to get worked, but also to learn a lot. I was half right.

We rolled for a bit, I was doing well, but still getting dominated. Anyway at one point the instructor was in my half guard, I have a pretty poor guard, so I was expecting him to pass easy. Instead he just locked both hands behind my head and cranked the shit out of my neck, I thought it was like a guard passing strategy, so I relaxed my legs completely so he could pass without any 'trouble'. It was hurting quite a bit at this point, but he just kept my chin pressed to my chest, while jerking my head side to side until I tapped.

Not wanting to look like a bitch, I just got up and told him good job etc, etc. But my neck has been sore for about a week now, and I was wondering if this is common practice.

I'm a white belt as well, but I still I think its kinda weird for your instructor to put you in a neck crank, yes.
IMO that's not the kind of submission you don't want to do in training, its like a heel hook in terms of being potentially very damaging. In competitions neck cranks are generally illegal.

That sort of thing is usually done from full guard "the can opener" and you have to let your guard go and sit up forward to relieve the pressure. Having on put on from half guard like that seems weird(maybe even just plain mean) to me.

If you feel extremely uncomfortable, something hurts or just doesnt feel right... tap. especially if your new. In the beginning it is ok, then later on you will know when theres "real" danger.

Tapping doesnt mean your a bitch, and also dont forget that since its your instructor it is ok to ask him what you should do when he does something to you (while he is doing it even).

Yeah I thought so. I know there was probably something I could have done to stop it because I was in half guard, but at the time it was pretty effective.

No TS, an instructor using a can opener on you is not a common thing. I've never heard of an instructor doing that to someone new.

it is what it is dude, you gotta learn to tap if it hurts....it doesn't matter if it was a black belt or white belt...I'm a white belt too and I've learned, you can get hurt pretty fast in BJJ.

Tap or just scream 'stop please for heaven sake'......

If you feel extremely uncomfortable, something hurts or just doesnt feel right... tap. especially if your new. In the beginning it is ok, then later on you will know when theres "real" danger.

Tapping doesnt mean your a bitch, and also dont forget that since its your instructor it is ok to ask him what you should do when he does something to you (while he is doing it even).

Yeah, cheers mate. Yeah, I try and let go of my ego when I walk into the gym, guess I just didn't want to complain in front of the whole gym.

Pretty gay instructor. You can tell him I said that.

I like how you told him "good job" at the end.

Also no, probably not common behavior, but doesn't seem that bad. Some instructors roll like dicks and some are really gentle.

You wouldn't happen to be training at Team Garcia would you?

did you try to push his hands away using your arms? alot of times i'll put on a choke to just draw a reaction, but if my partner doesn't react i'll go through with it.

Sounds like you have a shitty instructor. Neck cranks are very dangerous and dominating white belts wont encourage them to stick with the sport.

Honestly it sounds like a douche move by your instructor. Why would any instructor neckcrank a whitebelt? Makes no sense to me. Unless you're not telling us about how you elbowed him the mouth right before..

Can opener from half guard?

Interesting, I would have to see a video of that to tell if he was being a dick or not.

Where do you train if you dont mind me asking? is this BJJ?

were you attempting to get out or work or just stall?
He could have possibly been trying to send a message to you.

personally that would piss me off and I would be movin my ass

Back