1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Rumored Is this New Era defined by unlikely Champions?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dreyga2000, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Dreyga2000 STOP TREATING SPECULATION AS FACT!!!

You got Charles Olivera who has been with the company for years didn’t seem like a world beater. Had reputation for choking in big spots.

You got Jan who started his UFC with a losing record only to turn it around in his later years to become a true force to be reckoned with.

And now Brandon Moreno a man who was cut by the UFC only to fight his way back into the promotion who would lost their first fight if not fir a low blow only to dominate Figgy in his last outing

Looking even further back there was once a time when people laughed at the idea of Rose being to beat Joanna.

Given how early UFC tends to sign prospects is this a sign of new trend people who were mediocre gradually becoming great while competing in the UFC? Will more unlikely champions follow?

2. amok attitude Green Belt

Hard work pays off, dont you think ?

3. svmr_db Brown Belt

You've got a point, crazy the turnarounds in some of these fighters careers to make their way to the gold. Moreno was definitely cut prematurely coming off 2 decision losses.

Wonder who the next guy is to be champ down the line that we've all written off from title contention. Drew Dober? Kevin Lee?

4. kenetics Gold Belt

I was thinking the same thing. I keep coming back to that those titles were vacant by better fighters and champions.

Khabib , Jones and CCC are better than the champions now .

5. Dreyga2000 STOP TREATING SPECULATION AS FACT!!!

Possibly WMMA I mean Val or Amanda has to lose eventually… right?

6. Al Stone Banned Banned

Chuck isnt unlikely t all after Khabib retired during his run. Jan isnt shocking because honestly LHW is a turd heap. Moreno definitely. Rose kinda sorta but she improved leaps and bounds so yeah but no

7. Dreyga2000 STOP TREATING SPECULATION AS FACT!!!

Joanna was -860 favorite over Rose.

8. TempleoftheDog Black Belt

These guys all put in several years perfecting their craft. And now they reside atop of the mountain. A few years ago, would anybody have said, “That guy is the future champ. I’m the first on the hype train and fuck you all”.

No that would be unlikely. But thankfully I read the OP, because at first I thought you meant unlikable. And they are all very good (Jan, Oliveira, and Moreno) heart warming stories, about respect, and perseverance. That’s the shit I can get behind. Fuck the douchebag shit talking clowns.

9. TheCryingElite Fiercest Poster since the taut one Dufresne used.

I feel like Lawler was the first Bastion of those type of “unlikely” champions.

Zorro and mma sharingan like this.
  10. TempleoftheDog Black Belt

Good call.

Wasn’t he about a .500 or .666 fighter at one point? But, he was straight badass, and his fights with Rory, especially bare that out. All due respect to that man.

11. mma sharingan Brown Belt

Lawler set the tone for sure. Who knows what the future holds with the sport, Dustin could be champ in a year, Glover could beat Jan? Lewis beats Francis? hell i'd love to see KZ as fw champ haha

TheCryingElite likes this.