Is this Muay Thai school a McDojo?

WolfSage

Fightin' Lass
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking around for martial art dojos that have Muay Thai and aren't bullshido or a mcdojo. I came across this one and, using the guide from the Bullshido site, it seems to check out but I'm not totally sure. I'm kinda scarred from garbage dojos and gimmicky techniques. If someone could take a quick look at the site and double check, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot!
WolfSage

http://tigeracademyonline.com/programs/program-detail/muay-thai-kick-boxing

"Muay Thai Advanced Program"
"Program: Black Belt"
"Next Step: Muay Thai Mastery Program"
images

"Muay Thai Advanced Program"
"Program: Black Belt"
"Next Step: Muay Thai Mastery Program"
images
So is that bad they put in their own ranking system? That's an honest question. If that's all your referring to, I don't see any harm in that unless I'm mistaken.

The techniques on the videos look way better than i expected. They're not masters by any means but i'm sure you can learn decent technique. Just make sure you do the muay thai sport programme and not the ones designed for self defense

The black belt is probably just some dumb gimmick but don't worry about it

The techniques on the videos look way better than i expected. They're not masters by any means but i'm sure you can learn decent technique. Just make sure you do the muay thai sport programme and not the ones designed for self defense

The black belt is probably just some dumb gimmick but don't worry about it
Okay. Thanks for looking! I just called them on the phone and they said the monthly rate can range from $129-$139. Does that sound right?

Okay. Thanks for looking! I just called them on the phone and they said the monthly rate can range from $129-$139. Does that sound right?
Idk man, in europe we have way cheaper options but i guess muay thai training in the US is that expensive

wtf man, I can get €5 per month from famous professional fighters who won from legends, but then again it's in a rented hall and not a real gym.

130-140 sounds fucking immense to me . I pay 50 for everyday lessons + a really good gym to workout

Yea, but the gyms around here are kind of expensive like that. I live in an area where buildings rates are a little higher. That might be why they're charging a little more cause the gym has a sports bar, flat screen TVs, and showers. And that price includes lessons. Plus, there are so many McDojos around here, I guess I'm willing to pay a little more if they check out otherwise and have decent technique.

Jeez, those prices sound ridiculous guys. I mean, they're awesome prices but wow that's unheard of where I'm from.

So, I guess I just answered my own question.

In europe i usually pay something like 70 euros for a semester/ 6 months

In the UK the best Muay Thai gyms, and I'm talking about the best gyms (like Bad Company, Keddles Gym, KO Gym etc.) with experienced coaches, active fighters and proper gym facilities charge within the range of £40-£80 per month so that's somewhere between $55 and $110. More than that is a rip off to be honest.

In the UK the best Muay Thai gyms, and I'm talking about the best gyms (like Bad Company, Keddles Gym, KO Gym etc.) with experienced coaches, active fighters and proper gym facilities charge within the range of £40-£80 per month so that's somewhere between $55 and $110. More than that is a rip off to be honest.
I live in the country so there are very few martial art schools and even fewer MT gyms. This is the only one around. I mean, it’s not like I have a choice.

I've trained in 5 different gyms in different scandinavian countries. I believe the most expensive one charged double that price, so 70 euro for 3 times a week or 140 euro for 6 times a week
That's dirt cheap, which country is that?

Gyms in the US are notoriously expensive, and usually it's not because the gym is trying to rip people off it's just the cost of operating a gym leaves little profit. Most striking gyms also have Cross Fit programs and other classes to be able to afford running a gym. Usually a big drop off in striking classes because most people do the basic classes and don't last, few people make it to advanced classes and stay for years unless it's a serious gym that is cranking out MMA fighters.

I would only pay a price like this if the gym had notable western mt fighters and good coaches

Here in my state when eduardo maiorino was alive- he born in the city that i live-the capital campo grande and had his gym while he competed

dude was a top 3 Brazillian HW kickboxer of early and mid 2000s (without considering K-1 guys like Feitosa and filho)

Fought a notable kickboxers like Ramazanov Poturak and Bugaenko,only got beat up against mid lvl non Brazillian guys but however the price of monthly training with him + being coached-instructed wasnt above 60 dollars(translating to purchasing power of US)

this price is crazy.

Here in my city to train MMA + Gym 3x at the Team nogueira gym with guys with mid lvl MMA experience and High level BJJ teachers(former national-pan american tournament winners and etc) is 90 dollars monthly.

I would only pay a price like this if the gym had notable western mt fighters and good coaches

Here in my state when eduardo maiorino was alive- he born in the city that i live-the capital campo grande and had his gym while he competed

dude was a top 3 Brazillian HW kickboxer of early and mid 2000s (without considering K-1 guys like Feitosa and filho)

Fought a notable kickboxers like Ramazanov Poturak and Bugaenko,only got beat up against mid lvl non Brazillian guys but however the price of monthly training with him + being coached-instructed wasnt above 60 dollars(translating to purchasing power of US)

this price is crazy.

Here in my city to train MMA + Gym 3x at the Team nogueira gym with guys with mid lvl MMA experience and High level BJJ teachers(former national-pan american tournament winners and etc) is 90 dollars monthly.
What state do you live in? If everything else looks good with this place I'm looking at except the price, do I just not train there even though it's the only one for miles? So I just don't train at all?

What state do you live in? If everything else looks good with this place I'm looking at except the price, do I just not train there even though it's the only one for miles? So I just don't train at all?

I Live in Brazil-Mato Grosso do Sul State- in the capital of the state Campo Grande(20th most populated city of the country-anyways 900k habitants only)

It is relatively near to São Paulo city(1000 kilometers) so there always "exported tendencies" from the giant city.

well if is the only MT gym in miles could be one of the factors that it is overpriced, nah,if i was on your situation i would train in there anyways, if the the environment, equipment and instructors were at or above the level that could be expected on where you live just go for it :)

In My country the only state that you could actually train with good credential Kickboxing and western MT gyms(good athletes, instructors and etc) is São Paulo, so i understand a bit on what you in.

I Live in Brazil-Mato Grosso do Sul State- in the capital of the state Campo Grande(20th most populated city of the country-anyways 900k habitants only)

It is relatively near to São Paulo city(1000 kilometers) so there always "exported tendencies" from the giant city.

well if is the only MT gym in miles could be one of the factors that it is overpriced, nah,if i was on your situation i would train in there anyways, if the the environment, equipment and instructors were at or above the level that could be expected on where you live just go for it :)
Thanks man. I thought that was Brazil. Like a guy said before, the gyms that are any good in the US are priced over $100 a month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back