Is This Legal?

It wasn't illegal because it didn't actually spike him on his head. It's sorta like throwing a soccer kick or stomp that misses. A move is only illegal if it actually lands. Intent doesn't seem to matter much except for low blows and eye pokes.

You're not allowed to head spike . . . Several of these recently have come close. It seemed the intent was there, just not the actual result. Officiating could be better in this sport.

Yeah, this would be illegal though

piledriver2b.jpg

Borderline, ref has to use his discretion. It IS against the rules to intentionally spike an opponent on their head. Its terribly dangerous and shouldn't be tolerated. However, fans love to see that shit regardless of how dangerous it is.

not really.
The rule states that a spike has to be the head facing down and legs up in the air which we see. The other part is if the person getting slammed can let go and avoid the spike, then it's still legal. He was hanging on around the waist. The reason I would say its illegal is because even if he let go, Varner still had control over his lower body and I don't think letting go would have stopped it.
The ref could have also saw that he was tucking his head in, so technically the head wasn't facing down.

Has anybody ever been warned about throwing an opponent right on it's head?

From my understanding it would be illigal if Melvin would have landed with his head first. Which would be kind of a BS rule to beginn with.

Even the Rustam suplex action was dangerous no clue how to solve this though.

It's only illegal if Melvin didn't have the ability to release his hold. Notice that Melvin is holding onto Varner, not the other way around. Same goes for spiking your way out of an armbar. All Melvin had to do was let go.

He could have let go so the fault lies with Guillard.

This is the only right answer.

I've been in many fighter meetings, both pro and amateur, where the ref says basically this. Hell, I've even heard Heb Dean say it at an event.

It's only illegal if Melvin didn't have the ability to release his hold. Notice that Melvin is holding onto Varner, not the other way around. Same goes for spiking your way out of an armbar. All Melvin had to do was let go.
This^

Has anybody ever been warned about throwing an opponent right on it's head?

Nate Marquardt had a point deducted vs Thales Leites for pile driving him. Cost Nate the fight, and got Thales a title shot

Back