is this guy good to follow ?

odene

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hey guys, not sure if this guys videos have been discussed or posted. If so, feel free to Chase me out of here.

Just wondering if he is truly knowledgeable, and worth taking advice from, on workouts and overall tips. This is only one of many videos he has.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEiDpeDSL44

Last edited:
Lol I'm guessing his vids are bad in some way.

Lol I'm guessing his vids are bad in some way.

Generally knowledgeable and good vids regarding S&P, though some of his ideas may be controversial, e.g. "front squats are better for athletes than back squats". I think what turns most off who don't like his channel, though, are his philosophical views, which he often goes into detail about. All said, you could do a lot worse than appealing to teh Hulse for quality info about S&P.

I'm glad that someone said it's the Hulse so I didn't have to click on the link to find out and give him an extra view. I agree with gspieler, a lot of good info but sometimes I think he tries to be controversial just to get views. I also think he talks too much and over-explains things to show off his knowledge.

Generally knowledgeable and good vids regarding S&P, though some of his ideas may be controversial, e.g. "front squats are better for athletes than back squats". I think what turns most off who don't like his channel, though, are his philosophical views, which he often goes into detail about. All said, you could do a lot worse than appealing to teh Hulse for quality info about S&P.

Thnks for reply. I do find him slightly annoying in his tone and way he speaks. I can only handle him in short 5 min vids. But I do like his explanations, and motivational stuff

From him i also have "learned" more about the body and the many connections between different muscles, psychology and other aspects of the mind and body

Who would you guys recommend to watch. Then? To get advice and tips along will overall knowledge

From him i also have "learned" more about the body and the many connections between different muscles, psychology and other aspects of the mind and body

i wouldn't put much stock in anything he says in that regard. He's on record in one of his videos saying he doesn't read the scientific literature and that knowledge is overrated. He's a weird mix of bro-science and new age religion with a healthy dose of arrogant posturing for icing.

the video of him on the massage table throwing a 2 year old style temper tantrum to "release negative energy" was hilarious though.

watch johnny candito instead.

Who would you guys recommend to watch. Then? To get advice and tips along will overall knowledge

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a one-stop shop(IMO). And it often times will be about knowing what sources of info to avoid, e.g. Mike Chang. That said, I would pick a few that base their info on actual science(reference studies, sources of info, etc). Hulse is decent for exercise instruction. Jason Blaha has good scientifically-based info on physiology, if you can stomach his narcissism and hypocrisy. I guess you could place Layne Norton in that same category. And a few others.

Really I would just search whatever specific topic you're interested in, and then judge the vids individually. After a while, you will start to notice the same sources consistently put out and shady info and others will generally(but not always) be more reliable.

I have tried watching "the Hulse" vids a couple of times before. Tried again with the video in the OP, lasted a minute or two.

They are just unwatchable for me.

I have tried watching "the Hulse" vids a couple of times before. Tried again with the video in the OP, lasted a minute or two.

They are just unwatchable for me.

Same here. I honestly can't comprehend how anyone can watch his videos on a regular basis.

I like Powerlifting To Win and Renaissance Periodization.

Chad Wesley Smith is probably the best guy out of that whole bunch to listen to.

Aside from the strong guys worth watching, eric cressey and mike robertson are amazing to read/watch regarding corrective exercises, posture correction, prehab and rehab. Every lifter should be acquainted with those topics.

I wouldn't call that philosophy. He isn't talking about Aristotle or the possibility of Free Will. It is some mix of self-help book style pop psychology and New Age mumbo-jumbo.

I wouldn't call that philosophy. He isn't talking about Aristotle or the possibility of Free Will. It is some mix of self-help book style pop psychology and New Age mumbo-jumbo.

I may be using the term somewhat loosely. But whatever you want to call it, just remember to breathe through your balls.

i wouldn't put much stock in anything he says in that regard. He's on record in one of his videos saying he doesn't read the scientific literature and that knowledge is overrated. He's a weird mix of bro-science and new age religion with a healthy dose of arrogant posturing for icing.

the video of him on the massage table throwing a 2 year old style temper tantrum to "release negative energy" was hilarious though.

watch johnny candito instead.

Yeah but Johnny's eyes are fucking weird.

I learned about this guy from watching elliot check him out

They're all a waste of time unless they are showing form.

Back