Crime Is this because of racism while also driving racism?

abiG

The Last Iconoclast
Banned
Reaction score
I have seen folks come on here and claim things like blacks commit more crimes because of racism while others argue that what we see as racism is because certain groups simply commit more crime and that they are just pointing that out.

This is what's happened in London:
Almost half of murder victims - as well as suspects - were black despite the ethnic group accounting for just 13% of London's population.

White people in London make up 60% of the population, but only account for 35% of murder victims and 24% of murder suspects....

https://news.sky.com/story/black-murder-victims-and-suspects-london-v-uk-11443656

So, do you think that blacks in London are committing murders at this crazy rate because of the racism against them? And, do you think this actually drives racism itself? I guess it could be both.

Breakdown the defendants/victims by economic status and I think that'd be more telling.

The truth shall set you free.

Or get you banned.

It's really not that complicated. Poverty, population density = increased crime rates. Criminals tend to target people close to them. Murderers tend to kill people they know. Most murders also tend to be between people who are already involved in criminal activity.

Basically, if (and I don't know if this is true) the black population in London is concentrated in the city limits and not the suburbs and they are poorer than the average then you should expect there to be higher crime rates in those communities.

People will make it about race related things but it's not. It's a byproduct of cities and poverty.

In the U.S., there is a race related element because of the history surrounding discrimination both in terms of jobs, housing, etc. but I have no idea if that applies to the UK.

I wonder how long before this gets dumped. It's a fair question, but these kind of threads always seem to end up in The Far Beyond.

These stats from London are very similar to those in America if I'm not mistaken, almost identical.

If somebody digs in and spins hard enough I’m sure they can find a way to blame this on Trump, or anyone other than the people that are doing it.

You want the truth? Bad parents raise violent children. The end.

Poverty doesn't result in murder. You can be poor as hell and raise good children.

It's really not that complicated. Poverty, population density = increased crime rates. Criminals tend to target people close to them. Murderers tend to kill people they know. Most murders also tend to be between people who are already involved in criminal activity.

Basically, if (and I don't know if this is true) the black population in London is concentrated in the city limits and not the suburbs and they are poorer than the average then you should expect there to be higher crime rates in those communities.

People will make it about race related things but it's not. It's a byproduct of cities and poverty.

In the U.S., there is a race related element because of the history surrounding discrimination both in terms of jobs, housing, etc. but I have no idea if that applies to the UK.
Aren't people from many races poor?

These numbers are actually pretty staggering when you think about them.

These stats from London are very similar to those in America if I'm not mistaken, almost identical.
peEheIn.png

Is this the "blacks are bad with money" thing?
No, it’s the “people that are poor generally, and unfortunately, tend to commit/get caught committing more crimes”

It’s similar to why sales tax is a regressive tax that hits the least well off harder.

Do you have data that takes this into account? Because these all seem like factors that could be controlled for in a sample set

No, it’s the “people that are poor generally, and unfortunately, tend to commit/get caught committing more crimes”
Crimes like stealing (money for bills/food), sure, but murder?

Aren't people from many races poor?

These numbers are actually pretty staggering when you think about them.
Which is why I laid out a range of relevant variables.

Lots of people are poor, lots of people aren't poor and living in high density areas. It makes a difference in terms of crime. And I don't think the numbers are staggering. To swing to the U.S. for a moment - people say the same thing in the U.S. But then you look at the actual number of murders and you see it's less than 4000 people in a country of 350 million. It's miniscule.

London has 8,100,000 people. It had 135 murders in 2018. That's less than 0.002% of the population. There's nothing staggering about it, it's negligible.

Which is why I laid out a range of relevant variables.

Lots of people are poor, lots of people aren't poor and living in high density areas. It makes a difference in terms of crime.
Yes, white and black and others, right?

And I don't think the numbers are staggering.
13% of the population commits 50% of the murders... not staggering?

Back