Is this bad grappling etiquette? Tapping early

In submissions, especially with new people involved, I think both players have a responsibility to make the most of the situation.

- Experienced guy puts new guy in submission, but doesn't apply pressure yet, pausing to see new guy's response.
- New guy has choice to defend, tap, or do nothing. New guy shouldn't tap, but new guy may not recognize that he will be submitted.
- Experienced guy gradually applies more pressure until tap or reversal, or releases the hold because it doesn't seem to be working.

Of course, when the guy isn't so new, you wouldn't have to wait and see their response, since they should know enough to tap out.

The more you train, the easier it will be to know when it is time to tap. I have been in a triangle attempt for almost a whole minute trying to let the guy work it and get it. after a minute he didnt hip out to finish the choke. If they dont have the technique, then keep fighting it, dont tap.

Only time I ever tap early is when someone is attacking my left shoulder. I have a shoulder injury that is healing, so as a protective measure i will tap when someone even gets close to a sub on that shoulder.

Tap early. Tap often.

It was your first day and you were smart enough to tap before you got hurt. A lot of newbies try to tough it out, end up getting hurt and sidelined.

GENERALLY, taping to a position is considered bad form. In your particular situation, I'd say it's cool.

Enjoy training. Have fun. Keep injury free.

Partner needs to finish the sub, doesn't mean you gotta let him bust your elbow!

paul-smecker.jpg

"Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?"

Best post of the day

depending on what kind of submission, it is always better to be safe than sorry

Back