Is this bad grappling etiquette? Tapping early

Well in your post one of the first things you say is that you dont want to be a fighter. As a hobbyist, just do whatever feels right because you arent taking it that seriously. Not an insult either, just know that what you put in is what you take out. Also, its worth mentioning that it being your first time ever training, it would be pretty silly to expect you to understand an armbar escape, so at this point you didnt do anything detrimental. What I am speaking of is in the future if you wish to pursue grappling consistently and take it seriously.

If you wish to compete on a real level and get to an elite level of competition.. (world champion NOT intermediate NAGA champ) you need to fight your ass off which includes fighting tooth and nail to the end, running off the mat to avoid being swept, falling into the wall and yes, occasionally getting hurt in the process. Its hard work and it sucks, but if you want real results, you kill yourself on the mats for them. Im sure plenty of people will disagree with me and chime in with comments about that being a reckless thing to say or "well I compete four times a year and I train safe wah wah wah" but they won

Well in your post one of the first things you say is that you dont want to be a fighter. As a hobbyist, just do whatever feels right because you arent taking it that seriously. Not an insult either, just know that what you put in is what you take out. Also, its worth mentioning that it being your first time ever training, it would be pretty silly to expect you to understand an armbar escape, so at this point you didnt do anything detrimental. What I am speaking of is in the future if you wish to pursue grappling consistently and take it seriously.

If you wish to compete on a real level and get to an elite level of competition.. (world champion NOT intermediate NAGA champ) you need to fight your ass off which includes fighting tooth and nail to the end, running off the mat to avoid being swept, falling into the wall and yes, occasionally getting hurt in the process. Its hard work and it sucks, but if you want real results, you kill yourself on the mats for them. Im sure plenty of people will disagree with me and chime in with comments about that being a reckless thing to say or "well I compete four times a year and I train safe wah wah wah" but they won

First thing is disregard what Kenny MD is saying.

Second thing is there is nothing wrong with tapping early.

Third like most new people you are putting too much emphasis on the top and 'winning'. Tapping and someone and getting tapped doesn't mean you win or lose it just means you tapped. Tapping means learning, look at all the black belts they roll relaxed and don't go out to get submissions. Nobody has tapped more than a black belt.

Yes, it is bad etiquette. By tapping early, you're stealing part of the experience of jiu-jitsu from your partner. There's a HUGE difference between an almost-locked-in-kinda-looks-like-an-armbar, and a truly sunken and debilitating armbar. You'll never learn the difference if your partners tap early--essentially tapping to the threat of submission, rather than the technique itself. Totally rude.

While we're on this topic, you know what's even worse than tapping early? Tapping because of fatigue. If you're not in good enough shape to win, take your medicine like a man, and keep fighting until you do in fact get beaten by a submission. Not only is this the polite thing to do, it is a corrective mechanism: Your conditioning will improve if you push yourself in training.

I've never seen anyone tap out from fatigue myself. I've seen people quit but nothing like "Ok I'm done, game over" after they get mounted. We did have a guy that was notorious for being dog gone tired for most rounds but then getting huge surges of energy the moment he got on top though.

sizedoesmatter7422621.jpg

paul-smecker.jpg

"Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?"

Just dont be the guy that yells in pain and walks off the matt everytime he is in a bad spot. Only to talk smack about how close the submission beforehand was.

Truthfully, There are times when I just grab the keylock from side control or north south and people will tap. It's like... I didn't even move your arm yet... what the fuck are you tapping for?

So, tapping WAY too early, or just from general discomfort is not being a good partner IMO. That said, don't wait so long for the sake of "realism" that you end up hurting yourself. Just use common sense.

I was setting up an arm triangle with a guy who used to train and is new to the club, he was spazzing a little with smaller guys and being bigger I thought I would put a bit of weight on him, anyway I was setting it up from half guard and went from side control to mount to hop on the other side for sidecontrol to put it on and he tapped as soon as I got mount. Kind of annoying since I was using him to practice arm triangle set ups and he still could have escaped, but what can you do lol

Truthfully, There are times when I just grab the keylock from side control or north south and people will tap. It's like... I didn't even move your arm yet... what the fuck are you tapping for?

So, tapping WAY too early, or just from general discomfort is not being a good partner IMO. That said, don't wait so long for the sake of "realism" that you end up hurting yourself. Just use common sense.

I've had my elbows popped from keylocks, so for me, it's game over once you even lock it up. I don't bother with escapes, because if I'm in that position I've already screwed up, and the only thing working an escape will help me with is irritating every fiber of soft tissue in my elbow. I'm in pain before the back of my hand even hits the mat.

There are certain guys in my gym that I know to tap early with otherwise they might stretch my arm a little further than I want. With chokes I don't tap until I have to though.

I tap early, because I want to roll again

I've waited too long before, or had my partner hold on for just that extra millisecond AFTER I've tapped

and then i spend the next 3 weeks nursing a gimp elbow.

If you tap as soon as the guy locks it in partially then you'll never learn to be calm and work your way out. Also your partner will never learn to lock in a sub properly or just wait it out until something happens which is dangerous because he could just keep letting go leaving perfect subs to correct something that's pointless.

just make sure its locked in...if it is...tap before you feel pain...you will never become better with one less limb :)

I've had my elbows popped from keylocks, so for me, it's game over once you even lock it up. I don't bother with escapes, because if I'm in that position I've already screwed up, and the only thing working an escape will help me with is irritating every fiber of soft tissue in my elbow. I'm in pain before the back of my hand even hits the mat.

perhaps this isn't the best example. I've also had people tap from triangles when I have basically crossed my feet, but am nowhere near applying a choke. There are a ton of examples of stuff like this where the person is in no danger and urgently taps as if Roger Gracie is crushing their windpipe.

You need to tap before you feel pain, because pain MAY equal damage. Always try to defend a submission, if it doesn't work, tap before you get hurt. If you don't know any defense, ask the person that you are rolling with to show you some defense for that submission.

Also, be aware that not all subs cause pain before the damage. Americana angle twisting from any position doesn't really hurt until your elbow pops (experience :()

There is a guy at our school who will armbar the shit out of you if you arent careful. If he gets the arm and I cant defend I usually tap well before he extends it, he popped my elbow once and theres really no need to endure that kind of punishment in training.

He sounds like the kind of guy I'd just advice against even rolling with. Subs in training should be finished slowly and with maximal control.

You need to know your own limits. I trained with guys who were better then me and they never let me get them in a vulnerable position. So I never learned the proper submission and they never learned how much pain they can take before they had to tap out.

You need to know your own limits. I trained with guys who were better then me and they never let me get them in a vulnerable position. So I never learned the proper submission and they never learned how much pain they can take before they had to tap out.

What the fuck...

depends on who you are training with. Some guys really yank subs in and dont give you much of a chance to tap. personally, I like it up and gently apply pressure untill the other guy taps. There is a guy at our school who will armbar the shit out of you if you arent careful. If he gets the arm and I cant defend I usually tap well before he extends it, he popped my elbow once and theres really no need to endure that kind of punishment in training.

Dick move, you don't crank on subs during training. Hyperextend, fine. Put it into position, and gently apply some pressure- fine. But never hip up, that's fuckin rude.

Back