1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is this a takedown?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by fortheo, Sep 24, 2013.

1. youngda9 Purple Belt

Nit picking if the guy actually got taken down a second time. Take a step and see the impressiveness of that and what you're doing.

ugh

2. egk Gold Belt

LOL All these posts disagreeing with you and you're writing whole books about it to argue with me in other threads.

My original post was to someone else who claimed that meant Gus was never hurt in Rd 4 because he was able to toss Jones down like a child. ROFL

People embellishing things to try to make their story more credible just end up looking oolish.

3. shunyata Red Belt

4. Robespierre Purple Belt

not a takedown and should not be counted as an succesful offensive attack

5. fortheo Titanium Belt

lol dude, did he trip jones or not ? that's what i mainly want to know. I also wanted to know what constitutes a takedown. Once again you've done nothing but attack a poster, instead of refute, or make a counter point.

6. Lavitz It’s Showtime!

I don't think the Unified rules have set definition of what takedown in mma is.

7. Author Brown Belt

I think by definition, Jones was grounded. And yes, be blind if you want, but it was because of something Gus did. I'm kinda thankful TS shared this gif because I've been wanting to see it again. This is akin to a Judo throw to ground your opponent. Just because Gus didn't capitalize and full mount him or anything doesn't necessarily mean it didn't happen.

It's the equivalent of Jones (or any fighter) securing a takedown, then backing up and letting the opponent immediately get to his feet. The takedown wasn't capitalized on, but does that negate the takedown happening (and the subsequently scored point)? I don't think so. Judges dropped the ball on that round because of an elbow that rocked Gus and got people excited. Sucks!

8. egk Gold Belt

I've already commented on it. Someone created a thread just like this yesterday asking what constitutes a takedown. I replied in it. You're getting a lot of exactly the same kind of responses and still you're arguing over it.

9. fortheo Titanium Belt

show me a place where I argued with someone in this thread. There is a difference between an argument ( which you love to instigate) and a discussion. Arguments usually involve people like you posting and attacking people instead of posting actual opinions on the topic.

10. Spawned_Fighter nobody but me

exactly the one im thinking of im sure

11. Mikeyz Silver Belt

Nope. watch it again, Jones clearly landed on his knees.

That was definitely not a trip or a takedown

12. 315MMAFighter MąïȚře Đë Đəğåť§ - Pure Dominican Platinum Member

Didnt complete the takedown, thats what makes it count, look at JJ million dollar trunks though, the guy must be worth mils by now lol, gatorade, nike, McDonalds should be next

13. The DanaWhite Pink Belt

If you wanna say that being on all fours is a takedown then almost every sprawl is a take down then. You gotta be on your back or butt to count

14. Hallzzz Purple Belt

In wrestling that wouldn't count as a takedown

15. kflo Titanium Belt

gus ended up grounded therefore it is a td for jones.

double takedown. double takedown!

16. blitzk Red Belt

Yes and No.

It was sort of a throw and Jones landed on all four, so it counts as a takedown for statistic purposes, but in no way should it be scored as a takedown in judging; takedowns are not "awarded points", the correct term is "effective grappling", and it constitutes not only taking the opponent down but controlling, being aggressive and inflicting damage as a result of performing that maneuver.

17. Judoxing Red Belt

It wouldn't be scored as one in wrestling. Takedowns should only be counted when control is established.

18. electricfuneral Red Belt