Is this a takedown?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
At the end of round four, gus grabs one of jones legs, and pushes him. It's hard to notice but gus actually wraps his left leg behind jones leg ( the leg jones was hopping on) and then gus trips and pushes him down. Jones lands on all four limbs. Does that constitute a take down or no ?

gif, notice gus with the single leg, going for the takedown, then tripping jones up with his left foot.

ibsHToK8Mskia3.gif

notice right before the judge gets in the way, gus wrapping his left foot around jones leg.

*EDIT* if you don't think it's a takedown, which i wouldn't count it as one personally. Do you at least agree that gus tripped jones? or am i seeing things.

Last edited:
Nah landed on his knees.

Pretty badass though to do that while being as tired as Gus was

Nah, not unless he landed on top position. It's a stuffed takedown if anything.

Nah landed on his knees.

Pretty badass though to do that while being as tired as Gus was

i thought two knees, and a hand on the ground constitutes as grounded?

Nah, not unless he landed on top position. It's a stuffed takedown if anything.

but jones was tripped and put on all fours, does that do nothing from a judges point of view? do trips even count in a judges eyes? i'm not sure.

Takedowns in MMA don't require an established position like they do in BJJ or submission wrestling, but that is not a takedown.

i do think rogan and goldie missed a td, during the second or third rd

they kept saying gus had one but he had two, he tripped bones

but not takedown

But jones was technically grounded, because of something that gus did. What are the rules on what qualifies as a takedown? do you at least agree that gus tripped jones? i've seen people argue that jones lost balance.....but i clearly see gus tripping jones and pushing him down.

i do think rogan and goldie missed a td, during the second or third rd

they kept saying gus had one but he had two, he tripped bones

He had the take down in the first round, then not sure what round it was but gus caught one of jones legs, and kicked jones other leg out from beneath him, put jones on his butt briefly.

I see a poor guillotine attempt being thwarted and Jon landing on a knee.

Idk, wouldn't call that a TD personally but props to Gus for managing that went exhausted and recovering.

I see a poor guillotine attempt being thwarted and Jon landing on a knee.

Idk, wouldn't call that a TD personally but props to Gus for managing that went exhausted and recovering.

Do you agree that gus tripped jones with his left leg or no ? Also that knee did nothing imo , his left leg ( the one that was meant to knee gus) had barely extended off the ground before gus caught it.

Last edited:
Gsp defended a takedown against koscheck and he had his hands and knees on the ground at one point. GSP ended on top but koscheck got him on the "ground" similarly. Jones defended this takedown attempt

Have to end up on top to be a takedown I believe.

No, in BJJ and SW that is true, but I believe Fightmetric has a different definition of a takedown in MMA. Can't remember it exactly, but I saw one of the guys from Fightmetric say the definition (which was very good) on some roundtable that also had Jordan Breen on it talking about statistics in MMA. See if you can find it, it was a very interesting watch overall.

But jones was technically grounded, because of something that gus did. What are the rules on what qualifies as a takedown? do you at least agree that gus tripped jones? i've seen people argue that jones lost balance.....but i clearly see gus tripping jones and pushing him down.

Don't think that any real rules are out there.

Most people generally roughly use freestyle wrestling ones.

Dude must bring his opponent to the ground (at least 3 points of contact) and have 'control' over him.

Here Gus obviously doesn't have any sort of control whatsoever on what Jones could do. Couldn't force him into anything really.

Is not now never was in the past shouldn't ever in the future be considered a takedown.

Furthermore the TDs by both guys lead to absolutely nothing offensive and as such shouldn't factor into scoring very much if at all.

Much ado about nothing with all the talk about the TDs In this fight.

20 fights into his career jones got taken down once and got up instantly without taking any damage or being put in any danger.

Last edited:
Don't think that any real rules are out there.

Most people generally roughly use freestyle wrestling ones.

Dude must bring his opponent to the ground (at least 3 points of contact) and have 'control' over him.

Here Gus obviously doesn't have any sort of control whatsoever on what Jones could do. Couldn't force him into anything really.

honestly at this point all I want to know is whether or not people agree with me that gus tripped jones...or if i am seeing things.

Back