Is this a takedown @ 6:20?

Reading that you should have received the points imo. I was wrong in my earlier post.

Thank you sir! :)

That is a clear takedown. You landed North South, held the position for a solid few seconds (no scrambling or anything), and then the guy rolled to his knees, but you stayed on top and behind him as well, so i don't know why they think that was not a takedown. This is why I hate bjj competition because of all the gray area when it comes to scoring. A lot of the positions for scoring are not clearly defined and there is no official set of rules. For example, if a guy shoots on me, and I sprawl and hit a go-behind, is that 2? I know some tourneys make you put hooks in, which is retarded because you are still on top. What difference does it make if the guy has his legs locked around my body or if I'm on top of him while he is on all fours, although I don't have hooks in? Fucking silly. Wrestling scoring is much better, as (literally) every position is clearly defined in the official rulebook, although there still are bad calls whee you don't know who should have got the points and who shouldn't have. That would have been considered a takedown in wrestling.

Sure thing. That's why BJJ/Grappling will never make it to the Olympics!

Great thing is that even the organizer is on my side on this call now after sharing the video and the rule book. So the only two people on the planet that thinks others wise are my opponent and his buddy!

AGF promised to use this video to help teach their officials the correct way to make calls so maybe something good will come out of it. Other than some of the officiating AGF runs good tourneys... last weekends tourney ran exactly on time and had some tough competition!

Every organization has officiating issues including IBJJF. Until they can get that corrected BJJ will never be a legitimate sport!:icon_sad:

The only thing I can think of as a reason to reverse the two points is that you got the take down while you being front headlocked. I don't know the rules regarding this so I don't know if you can score from there or not. Can anyone confirm?

Looks like the opponent is motioning that he had a submission (front headlock choke) locked from standing and through the duration of the takedown and North South position. As soon as he released the submission from under North South he immediately scrambled to turtle and then didn't allow you to get your hooks for back take points.

What are the rules on this? I think the submission attempt and no control after is the question I guess.

Great takedown btw!

Looks like the opponent is motioning that he had a submission (front headlock choke) locked from standing and through the duration of the takedown and North South position. As soon as he released the submission from under North South he immediately scrambled to turtle and then didn't allow you to get your hooks for back take points.

What are the rules on this? I think the submission attempt and no control after is the question I guess.

Great takedown btw!

Thanks Title Fight Productions

Submission? he wasn't even close. I baited him on that. And I even pull that one off all the time in training and even other tourneys. yes he turtles but........

Pay close attention to the second bullet point here. "Hooks not need to be in place"
POINT-SCORING POSITIONS*
Takedown (2 points)
• When an athlete forces his/her opponent back-down, sideways or into a seated position on the ground after standing on two feet at some point during the movement, and keeps the fight on the ground and himself/herself in the top position for 3 (three) seconds.
• When an athlete forces his/her opponent to the ground on all fours or belly-down, points shall only be awarded once the athlete performing the takedown has established a back clinch on his/her opponent—hooks need not be in place but at least one of the opponent’s knees must be maintained on the ground for 3 (three) seconds.

The only thing I can think of as a reason to reverse the two points is that you got the take down while you being front headlocked. I don't know the rules regarding this so I don't know if you can score from there or not. Can anyone confirm?

All I know is that is common and scorable take down in wrestling. So should be in BJJ as well.

Thanks Title Fight Productions

Submission? he wasn't even close. I baited him on that. And I even pull that one off all the time in training and even other tourneys. yes he turtles but........

Pay close attention to the second bullet point here. "Hooks not need to be in place"
POINT-SCORING POSITIONS*
Takedown (2 points)

It's a takedown. Some black belts are such divas I swear.

Defiantly is considered a takedown in my eyes, however I would be more upset by how ridiculous your opponent acted at the end of the match.

Defiantly is considered a takedown in my eyes, however I would be more upset by how ridiculous your opponent acted at the end of the match.

That was annoying but most upsetting imo is the black belt that comes out of left field. He talks the ref into reversing a call and restarting a match she already called an end to. From how long it took to reverse the call and her giving the idk look & not explaining the ruling to TS, obviously the ref thought her original call was correct. She must have felt a little intimidated (not physically but experience-wise) and caved to a brazilian black belt in her face. It's her first time time reffing and I can see how it would be difficult to back down. She probably feels like shit now too for letting that guy convince her she was wrong.

Yea it was odd. One would believe he just won a Black Belt 'World Title' or something. LOL. Should have seen the strange bowing and praying session before the match. Very odd to say the least. He about shat himself when he later seen me in my Brown belt in the Gi division. LoL

absolutely should be called a takedown

Thank you Patrick!

That was annoying but most upsetting imo is the black belt that comes out of left field. He talks the ref into reversing a call and restarting a match she already called an end to. From how long it took to reverse the call and her giving the idk look & not explaining the ruling to TS, obviously the ref thought her original call was correct. She must have felt a little intimidated (not physically but experience-wise) and caved to a brazilian black belt in her face. It's her first time time reffing and I can see how it would be difficult to back down. She probably feels like shit now too for letting that guy convince her she was wrong.

Yes right on..that's exactly what ended up happening.

looks to me like you got screwed by the ref.
And I really despise the guy in black. from the running away the entire first half, to arguing over a takedown where he clearly got ragdolled, to his lame little celebration at the end. clearly one of those people that wants a win rather than to prove they are the better grappler.

Last edited:
Back