1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

is this a good tdk school?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by el pollo loco, Jul 24, 2010.

1. el pollo loco

el pollo loco White Belt

Ok so my ultimate goal is to train mma but my mom wont let me. But my dad trains tkd so I know they'll let me do that. All I want to know is if this school is good here is the link: Martial Arts, Tae Kwon-Do, Charlotte,NC

thanks

2. dtravis92

dtravis92 Orange Belt

If you want to train TKD in charlotte i would go to Black Belt USA - Martial Arts Academy. They have several people who fight in local kickboxing and mma tournaments so they are real legit. Plus since they have fighters and teach muay thai their TKD is probably trained properly, not mcdojo stuff.

3. Redwards

Redwards Orange Belt

[​IMG]
    That sorta stuff would put me off a bit. How old are you anyways?

4. FlyingKnee101

FlyingKnee101 Banned Banned

im 16 now, i did TKD when i was about 13-14 for a while i found it ok when i was doing it. Then i stepped into Muay Thai and that opened my eyes to how crap and over rated TKD rely is man. all this time wasting kicking in the air fists on hips did not help at all. plenty of time waisted learning these stupid patterns called tegogs man i regret doing it. Go Muay Thai. but the only thing i actually benefited from it was kicks that helped me in Muay Thai but not too significantly.

Just do muay thai or Kick boxing. and all the McDojo's say the same old shit (this is taken from youre link. its all cheesy and showing you that they are trying to sell their things. But if you rely rely want to do TKD look for a Dojo who has tournament Champions etc.
    but just go directly to Kick boxing/Muay thai would be my advise from my experience

The school's emphasis is more than just self-defense:
    it is self-improvement.
    Through the development of self-confidence, self-discipline and respect
    students choose resolution and avoidance techniques
    rather than confrontation as their first choice.
    PROVEN
    Our curriculum has been developed and tested for over 20 years.
    Trends like "Cardio-Karate" and "Aerobic-Boxing" will not be found in our school.
    Trends come and go.
    Our established program meets and exceeds the physical conditioning,
    self-defense and martial arts training standards of the industry.
    Enthusiastic instruction, clear direction and
    goals make the program enjoyable and successful.

5. el pollo loco

el pollo loco White Belt

I'm 15 and this is the only martial art my mom will let me do. So should I start with this or wait till I get my license and drive myself to muay thay?

6. el pollo loco

el pollo loco White Belt

Oh and my dad does tkd at this place and he told me if I do tdk I'm going to his school

7. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

So I'm going to go on instinct here... you're in high school? If so than do what 99% of people who train MMA wish to god they would have done (not including those who did ofcourse :icon_chee). JOIN THE WRESTLING TEAM!!!! SERIOUSLY NO STUPID NOOBIE ARGUEMENTS; THIS IS THE ABSOLUTE SMARTEST THING TO DO, WHERE AS JOINING A TKD SCHOOL IS PROBABLY THE DUMBEST.

A: Wrestling lays your foundation for the future when you'll have to learn BJJ (or another grappling art) to be competent in MMA. Striking is important, not doubt about it (it's where I started) but the ground game is much deeper and harder to get right. Don't pass up a golden opportunity.

B: Don't go to a TKD school just because of the "something is better than nothing" mentality. IT ISN'T. If you go to a TKD school you're going to learn years of bad habits (hands at waist, spinning like a ballerina with your back exposed, no boxing, using legs to generate power for kicks) which you will have to unlearn once you start a real striking art. I have seen it a thousand times; we've even had TKD BB's from good schools come in and get wrecked in fundamental MT and boxing. TKD WILL HURT YOU MORE THAN IT WILL HELP YOU.

C: WRESTLE, WRESTLE, WRESTLE.... And you can learn striking at the same time!! Youtube is free, watch boxing and Muay Thai technique videos and then shadow box a ton. Every striking coach I've ever worked with all say that shadow boxing is HUGE in developing good timing and technique.

8. AXelator

AXelator Blue Belt

If your 15 go get a job and pay for your own lessons.

9. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

His parents would still have to sign a consent form. He's underage

10. makaio

makaio Blue Belt

If you can't train in the gym, make due. Do the TKD thing to work on your agility, etc.

Then get with your friends who are "allowed" to go to MMA class and train with them on the side. Watch videos, study fights. Tell your Dad you want to go with him to learn Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Old guys love that stuff.

Good luck bud, you'll be free in a few short years.

11. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    ^

This guy is right. TKD will never come in handy, not in the street, not in messing around with your friends, nowhere. The only thing it's good for is making hilarious youtube blooper reels.

12. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

funny because i personally saw a street fight where tkd roundhouse smacked someone in the jaw and put him down to where he didnt get up. But i suppose that doesn't count to all the street fighting experts here. :rolleyes:

13. AXelator

AXelator Blue Belt

If you have to fill out consent forms or whatever (I've never heard if these), then go
    to a boxing gym where they don't do forms and contracts, you just turn up give your

14. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

15. wisemanrax

wisemanrax Yellow Belt

You want to attend a school that regularly has their athletes compete at the national or even international level. A TKD school that focuses on competition (sparring) a lot.

16. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Orange Belt

Training in TKD is better than not training at all. It may not be the most useful martial art but at least it will allow you to develop your timing, flexibility, and footwork.

17. Alaskantkdkid

Alaskantkdkid Green Belt

Your dad's place looks sorta McDojangy. That second place looks pretty legit though, try getting your dad to switch to the other school.

18. quikkick

quikkick Technical Brilliance, Prowess, and Analysis

LA......the city of out of town Wanna-Be's
    I like his mission statement. With TKD being such a detail oriented art it may be an excellent place to acquire great striking technique that you can carry over to an MMA focused gym. Several fighter owe a great deal of credit to their TKD backgrounds.

19. pailum117

pailum117 Blue Belt

You're right, your anecdotal evidence is a much better judge of effectivness in martial arts. Did the person who got K.O'd train? How are you sure it was a TKD round kick? I can pull off a Crane Kick and Knock out Shogun every million times I do it, how are you sure it wasn't one of those moments?

20. LEGS MAHONEY

LEGS MAHONEY genetically modified man shark

^ of course not it was a street fight and like many people you will meet in a street encounter they will be untrained and havent the slightest clue about fighting much less spotting a kick coming at their face

I knew the person well and he trained at a tkd school went on to teach later as well.

he was wrestler too but right high kicks arent exactly in the wrestling arsenal last time i looked unless times have changed!:icon_chee