Is this a good routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I don't think he understands. I'm being nice and trying to help him, yet he thinks I'm bullying him. Just wait until some of the better posters get here when they smell the blood.

Omg I'm so scared anonymous strangers on the internet are going to call me names cause they don't like my lifting routine. That's so hardcore talking shit over the internet.

God, no. This is mild banter. Real "internet bullying" is much uglier. In fact, had you been on the receiving end of it you would not have to ask.

There are a lot of Tools on the internet, just as there are in real life.

To be serious for a moment: I'm just a beginner, but even with my very limited experiance, this looks like a bad routine. If you want to practice Bodybuilding, go for it. But it is difficult if not impossible to combine that with any meangful level of Martial Arts training.

Bear in mind that hypertrophy is not exclusive to BB. If you run a good, solid strength training program, you will build muscle.

Who says that bb and strenght routines have to be different, look at Pudzanovskies ripped body, it's a question of diet how lean you will be, both groups try to gain as big muscles as possible, one to be strong for powerlifting or martial arts one for aesthetics.

Also keep in mind that MANY people here don't even train martial arts, so I don't see why wanting to look good is a bad goal, it includes being able to lift heavy weights, being strong.

To give you guys a reality check, posting on sherdog does not make you an fighter, I see no tags.

What is wrong with the routine ?

Jaedong, no more of this garbage. Either read the stickies and follow the rules or find somewhere else to post.

Jaedong, no more of this garbage. Either read the stickies and follow the rules or find somewhere else to post.

Ok I'll take a few days off from posting. Still would like to hear in two sentences what is wrong with the routine, if you could post all of those responses at least type two sentences on why it's a bad routine so I can understand what I did wrong. Bye

Ok I'll take a few days off from posting. Still would like to hear in two sentences what is wrong with the routine, if you could post all of those responses at least type two sentences on why it's a bad routine so I can understand what I did wrong. Bye

You know, in the time it took you to ask that question 10 times in this thread, you could have found your answer in the FAQ and related articles linked in the FAQ.

Some of us (me) aren't experienced and/or eloquent enough to answer your question as well as the FAQ or other articles can. And those that are aren't going to answer you because you're lazy and won't follow our directions or the forum rules.

You know, in the time it took you to ask that question 10 times in this thread, you could have found your answer in the FAQ and related articles linked in the FAQ.

Some of us (me) aren't experienced and/or eloquent enough to answer your question as well as the FAQ or other articles can. And those that are aren't going to answer you because you're lazy and won't follow our directions or the forum rules.

So you can say it is bad but don't know why it is bad. As for the circuit - LLCool jay did it to and he is very strong and muscular. How about just copy paste the part of the FAQ that' proves my routine to be bad. It's just that I'm apparently to stupid to figure it out on my own. I guess because i mentioned getting ripped that made you here not like me, but then there's power lifters (hobby or professional) who don't train martial arts but that is alright on an MMA forum, maybe they need to go to a powerlifter forum.

So you can say it is bad but don't know why it is bad. As for the circuit - LLCool jay did it to and eh is very strong and muscular.

You missed my point. I could, but the people who wrote the FAQ and articles linked in the FAQ can answer the question much better than I can and have much more experience behind their writings than me. The people who wrote the FAQ and articles are some strong motherfuckers. Would you want me to answer your questions or someone who lifts probably 3x what I do?

There is also a lot of information in the FAQ that any aspiring weightlifter should read that you're missing out on.

If you do squats,shoulder, traps on monday it will zap your power on cleans tuesday.

Your muscles grow when you rest and have a caloric surplus.

What is wrong with the routine ?

Your routine is probably perfect for you, since you don't really care about being strong.

Happy lifting!

If I've misunderstood your post and you were actually asking "Is this a good routine for getting stronger?" then there are some points that you might consider changing. For example, your selection of exercises is not really optimized around the lifts that most people seem focused on getting stronger at. Your rep range is probably inconsistently programmed (sometimes 6, sometimes 8) based on feel, rather than a plan.

The reason that you are getting a lot of shit for your routine is that there are routines in the FAQ that are proven to work on people with a wide range of body types and lifting experiences. You've decided that you want to be a special snowflake with your own random-bag-of-crap routine, and challenge people to tell you what's wrong with it. You say in your very first post of this thread "I want the best routine". Ok. Read the FAQ, and do one of those. Starting Strength is probably the best choice for beginners (and you are one).

You don't have a program:

I'll read the faq in a minute. For now : I do about 8 reps, depending. Sometimes just 6 heavy ones then lower the weight and do 8, mostly 8 reps, calves, hyper-extensions and abs 12 - 15 reps with weights. I just want to get stronger everyday, the last 20 days I went to the gym 6 times a week with good motivation working hard. Number of sets is as much as I feel is enough, more exercises for back in general. Should I feel drained and tired I'll take a day of but I sleep a lot so that doesn't really happen and I eat healthy and plenty.

It is something like this :

Quads - Squats for 4 sets of about 8 reps. Then maybe a leg press or that machine where you sit and lifts your legs. The calves with dumbbells in my hands for weight. Shoulders is military press 3 sets in front 3 behind the head and flying with dumbbells for shoulders - lifting them up from your waist to your head, sorry don't know the name again. Traps 4 sets of dumbbells or a bar, bar to chin or dumbbells circular motion using traps.

Back - First rows or power cleans then on the pull machine2 different exercises, one for lats outside (the triangle shape of your back) pulling behind your back and one in front with close or wide grip, both for about 4 -5 sets and 7 - 10 reps. I might throw in the dumbbell exercise for back using one arm at a time, don't know the name but the one where you straightening your back on a "bench" and lift a dumbbell from the ground.

Chest - do 2 types of bench press for 4 - 5 sets, incline, regular, the one for lower pecs or the one for higher pecs then do dumbbell flyes, sometimes throw in some diverse pushups or dips. Biceps triceps just use a bar and do 1 set of triceps then 1 set of biceps for about 5 sets, doing double biceps with bar or french press for triceps, then at the end death drops for biceps and that exorcise where you lift yourself of the ground with your triceps from a "bench" - both for 1 or 2 sets.

Hamstrings - 3 sets of dead lifts and 2 sets of sumo dead lifts for 8 reps, lungs if there is energy left in my legs, abs with weights 12 - 15 reps lower abs side abs and regular abs, neck - just lie flat and do circles and up and downs till sore for 3 sets.

Circuit - do what I want, compound lifts included, just kill myself and try to work hard. From exercise to exercise, small rest, then bigger rests between cycles. Possibly include some bag work in-between.

The bold parts are what make it not a program. The rest is what would make it a shitty program if you actually made up your mind about the bold parts.

You missed my point. I could, but the people who wrote the FAQ and articles linked in the FAQ can answer the question much better than I can and with much more experience behind their writings than me. There is also a lot of information in the FAQ that any aspiring weightlifter should read that you're missing out on.

I read it like 4 years ago and went over it again 20 minutes ago, and STILL don't see what I'm doing wrong. I do compound lifts, free weights, do squats deadlifts and bench press. Eat a lot of healthy food, rest a lot. Wghat is wrong about the split ? Also the circuit is done by GSP for example I can find you the video if you don't believe me, so waht is wrong ? Is it to many reps or sets ? I lift heavy and do quite a few reps cause I like to work hard and burn more carbs then just doing 12 sets, why eat a lot of carbs and fat for fuel if you don't try to work hard in the gym.

TS I dont think you could have possibly read the FAQ in a minute. So you're basically lying and not very well. If you want to read the FAQ and the accompanying links/threads then by all means go ahead but we're not going to spoon feed you.

Plenty of people here lift and practice MAs so dont go assuming things you dont know.

I also question your form on the big lifts. I highly recommend you video tape yourself squatting, benching, pressing, deadlifting, etc and post it for lift analysis/critique. Side angle works pretty well.

Guys like DevilsSon and Tosa have probably forgotten more about Strength Training than I'll ever know but I'll give it a shot:

1)The routine you are doing is over-complicated; a Body-part Split Routine is not an efficient method of developing maximal strength. Full body workouts or push-pull split produce faster and better results.

2)The rep range you are using is too high. 5 Reps or lower is best for strength and power development.

If you are interested in developing strength do what I did; swallow your misplaced pride, read the FAQ's and ask advice from the big(Sher)dogs. I'm willing to bet that some of them are even stronger than your friend, the strongest guy in your town.

If all you care about is your appearance and you wish to focus on hypertrophy etc then, to quote Coach Rippetoe, that a matter for you, your God and your shrink. There's very little we can do for you here and you would be better to ask questions on a Bodybuilding site. Personally, I have nothing against Bodybuilders. But then I grew up watching Das Governator's movies(come on, Yanks - amend the Constitution so we can have President Schwarzenneger. You know it makes sense:cool::cool:). But that is not what this site is about.

Hope this has been of some help to you. Best of luck.

TS your routine is fantastic. Have a nice day.

Alright, I'll join one of the strongest people here and say your routine is awesome and to keep at it.

Wait.. some sort of detector is going off...

I read it like 4 years ago and went over it again 20 minutes ago, and STILL don't see what I'm doing wrong.

Did you read Carnal's treatise on lifting heavy iron? If you did you would see what you're doing wrong.

There's also multiple sample routines in the FAQ you can compare yours to. Pick one and start lifting.

If you do squats,shoulder, traps on monday it will zap your power on cleans tuesday.

Your muscles grow when you rest and have a caloric surplus.

Your routine is probably perfect for you, since you don't really care about being strong.

Happy lifting!

If I've misunderstood your post and you were actually asking "Is this a good routine for getting stronger?" then there are some points that you might consider changing. For example, your selection of exercises is not really optimized around the lifts that most people seem focused on getting stronger at. Your rep range is probably inconsistently programmed (sometimes 6, sometimes 8) based on feel, rather than a plan.

The reason that you are getting a lot of shit for your routine is that there are routines in the FAQ that are proven to work on people with a wide range of body types and lifting experiences. You've decided that you want to be a special snowflake with your own random-bag-of-crap routine, and challenge people to tell you what's wrong with it. You say in your very first post of this thread "I want the best routine". Ok. Read the FAQ, and do one of those. Starting Strength is probably the best choice for beginners (and you are one).

You don't have a program:

The bold parts are what make it not a program. The rest is what would make it a shitty program if you actually made up your mind about the bold parts.

Ok finally some normal posts. The power clean is not very important for me but just to add something to my workouts to fill that + 1 hour of training. That is the main reason I posted the routine, I do compound lifts with free weights but wanted to regulate it to for example not have sore abdomnials when I do deadlifts that f*ck up my lift, but if power clean is going to be not optimal then that is good enough for me. Also many people train on instinct and experience, everyone is different.

But I see, people here are only about the 3 major lifts and getting stronger in those movements. So yeah, I'm getting stronger and more masculine witch is a little different it seems. So no need to discuss anything anymore. Confusing to me that this forum is all about strength as if everyone is an professional or aspiring athlete here. If I don't improve on my routine fast enough I might try one from the stickies. Anyways, good luck

Alright, I'll join one of the strongest people here and say your routine is awesome and to keep at it.

Wait.. some sort of detector is going off...

Dude, I love your avatar. But you're definately going to Hell for it...:icon_twis

This. Quit being lazy and read the faq.

Dude, I love your avatar. But you're definately going to Hell for it...:icon_twis

I finally had it when I got caught up in yet another idiotic discussion about religion. I'm quite okay with going down surprised and in flames.

If your name is anything to go by, you'd be quite willing to help me get there faster ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back