1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Is this a good routine

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Jaedong, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

Goal is to be healthy and look masculine, get ripped (I know it's a diet question too). I know it's not a bodybuilding forum but I'm on sherdog, it's the only forum i really read or post on (been lurking since about 2005), I see no reason why looking good while being strong can't be a legit goal. I do mainly compound lifts and free weights, cables only for my back cause I can't do pull ups even when I was in good shape, but when I'll get stronger I'll incorporate them. Volume is how much I feel I need, I try to work as hard as I can possibly motivate myself for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. I didn't list all exercises cause they vary but the main goal is to do real exercises and really work the muscle that is on that day. I've been lifting on and off for about 6 years but with huge intervals between so I'm not very strong, mediocre at best compared to other lifters but def better then some starters or clueless people - what I'm just trying to say is that I do have experience. I want the best routine (I know there is no best) and don't shy away from extra effort.

Mon – Quads (squat), shoulders, traps

Tues – Back (rows), power clean

Wed - Chest, triceps, biceps

Thu - Hamstrings (Dead lifts, lungs sometimes), abs, neck

Fri - Kickboxing on heavy bag and sprints

Sat - Circuit training (all compound lifts included)

Sun - Rest

Also I want to do some cardio 1 hour after breakfast for about 30 minutes of rather high intensity depending if my legs are sore and stretch afterward. I get a lot of rest, so I can work hard, I need to improve sleeping time tough (go to bed earlier) This is the first time I post here, so try to be nice.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

Read the FAQ's carefully.

After that, tell us what set/rep scheme you plan to use and what kind of progression you want to follow.

3. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Ebony Belt Platinum Member

Gentlemen - target will fall when hit!:icon_twis

4. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

I'll read the faq in a minute. For now : I do about 8 reps, depending. Sometimes just 6 heavy ones then lower the weight and do 8, mostly 8 reps, calves, hyper-extensions and abs 12 - 15 reps with weights. I just want to get stronger everyday, the last 20 days I went to the gym 6 times a week with good motivation working hard. Number of sets is as much as I feel is enough, more exercises for back in general. Should I feel drained and tired I'll take a day of but I sleep a lot so that doesn't really happen and I eat healthy and plenty.

It is something like this :

Quads - Squats for 4 sets of about 8 reps. Then maybe a leg press or that machine where you sit and lifts your legs. The calves with dumbbells in my hands for weight. Shoulders is military press 3 sets in front 3 behind the head and flying with dumbbells for shoulders - lifting them up from your waist to your head, sorry don't know the name again. Traps 4 sets of dumbbells or a bar, bar to chin or dumbbells circular motion using traps.

Back - First rows or power cleans then on the pull machine2 different exercises, one for lats outside (the triangle shape of your back) pulling behind your back and one in front with close or wide grip, both for about 4 -5 sets and 7 - 10 reps. I might throw in the dumbbell exercise for back using one arm at a time, don't know the name but the one where you straightening your back on a "bench" and lift a dumbbell from the ground.

Chest - do 2 types of bench press for 4 - 5 sets, incline, regular, the one for lower pecs or the one for higher pecs then do dumbbell flyes, sometimes throw in some diverse pushups or dips. Biceps triceps just use a bar and do 1 set of triceps then 1 set of biceps for about 5 sets, doing double biceps with bar or french press for triceps, then at the end death drops for biceps and that exorcise where you lift yourself of the ground with your triceps from a "bench" - both for 1 or 2 sets.

Hamstrings - 3 sets of dead lifts and 2 sets of sumo dead lifts for 8 reps, lungs if there is energy left in my legs, abs with weights 12 - 15 reps lower abs side abs and regular abs, neck - just lie flat and do circles and up and downs till sore for 3 sets.

Circuit - do what I want, compound lifts included, just kill myself and try to work hard. From exercise to exercise, small rest, then bigger rests between cycles. Possibly include some bag work in-between.

I warm up doing cardio for 1 song (break a sweat) and warm up joints for about one song - about 7 minutes total. At the end I mostly do about 3 minutes high paced cardio to make sure I don't have much energy left.

5. Origins

Origins Blue Belt

The time you spent typing that could have been spent reading the FAQ's.

6. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

So you go to the D/S forums and make a post before reading the FAQ which gets locked. Then you make another thread bitching about your thread getting locked. After wandering your way here, you go ahead and make ANOTHER thread without reading the forum's respective FAQ?

At least this time don't make another thread in the S/C forum complaining when this one gets locked as well.

P.S. It's a bad routine.

7. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

I just did, took me 3 minutes because I realized that I already have read it a long time ago but forgot that I did since I always read D&S (and 1k, conternders, havyies) and never this forum. Only thing I never got is periodisation, a friend who is really strong explained it to me once but I don't get the point. If I do the right exercises, lift progressively higher weights, mix it up and get plenty of rest and good nutrition then what is the purpose of periodisation.

8. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

9. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

Wow you just think because I don't always agree with everything in the DS that I'm a noob and don't know what I'm doing. What is bad about this routine ? You are just blindly judging me to make yourself feel better as If you are a great athlete and poster. I hope you feel better about yourself now.

10. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

11. KnightTemplar

For Thor's sake - where's the Sam Jackson pic?!:cool::icon_chee

12. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

I'm not trying to fit in, I'm trying to guide you to the answers you're looking for as is everyone else who has suggested reading the FAQ. That's what it's there for.

13. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

What's wrong with the routine ?

Are you internet bullying me ? I guess my friend was right, he is like the strongest guy in our town - don't read internet forums cause a lot of people are just taking their real life frustration and negative energy out on other people. It's not that bad but still, some real life [email protected] trying to be macho on the internet.

14. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

I read the FAQ, what exactly do you don't agree with in my training ?

15. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

I don't understand you. We're trying to help you. There is a plethora of information in the FAQ and in the links provided in the FAQ. If you read everything in the FAQ you'd have the answers to most of your questions right at your fingertips. If you really want me to, I can copy and paste what is in the FAQ into this thread in order to answer your question.

16. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

No you are trying to bully me on the internet. You said my routine is bad , ok - according to what in the FAQ is my routine bad. Copy and paste just that part.

17. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

He is relinking the FAQ because your questions fall into the standard category of questions we see from people who didn't thoroughly read our unusually good FAQ, and didn't follow the links in the FAQ.

You've gotten off easy so far. People usually rip into these threads with bloody ferociousness.

Really, the program ideas in the FAQ are better than what you are doing now. Many people have a hard time accepting the simplicity of a good non-advanced program, but it really is that simple and you really do have to do the big and complicated lifts with free weights. Also, you need periodisation because there is no such thing as getting enough energy and sleep to just keep going.

Let go of the pride and give this stuff a chance. It is absurdly much more efficient that big complicated programs.

18. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

Sorry but what exactly am I doing wrong ? Too many reps or sets ? Be kind and enlighten me, if you can type that post you can also put in two sentences what I'm doing wrong.

19. animalistik

animalistik Green Belt

That's what I don't think he understands. I'm being nice and trying to help him, yet he thinks I'm bullying him. Just wait until some of the better posters get here when they smell the blood.

20. KnightTemplar

God, no. This is mild banter. Real "internet bullying" is much uglier. In fact, had you been on the receiving end of it you would not have to ask.

There are a lot of Tools on the internet, just as there are in real life.

To be serious for a moment: I'm just a beginner, but even with my very limited experiance, this looks like a bad routine. If you want to practice Bodybuilding, go for it. But it is difficult if not impossible to combine that with any meangful level of Martial Arts training.

Bear in mind that hypertrophy is not exclusive to BB. If you run a good, solid strength training program, you will build muscle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.