Is there something wrong

with working your way through college?
Why would you want someone else to pay for it other than you are a lazy shit?
B.S. supporters,there is a reason why his initials are BS.

Because the corporatists created a global economy where we are in competition with other nations for jobs based on the skills of our workforce.

You want to end "free trade", than we can all go back to saying every man for himself, without that, you are advocating making us less competitive.

Because the corporatists created a global economy where we are in competition with other nations for jobs based on the skills of our workforce.

You want to end "free trade", than we can all go back to saying every man for himself, without that, you are advocating making us less competitive.
Why should I have to pay for college?
Somebody has to.

Sad to see how common philistine attitudes like this are these days.

Eh, I say this as someone who is literally pursuing is post graduate degree in literature. I love it - it is where I want to be and what I want to do - but looking at it, at close to a decade of degree hopping, being a professional studient... Going through the whole course of this education is a tremendous drain on resources with a dearth of utility at the end. The idea that *everyone* should be doing something along these lines, to look at it as just something that every person should do, seems like a mistake. It costs a lot and, frankly, there are many things to learn of great value beyond that which you find at a university. Some people, I believe, would be better off pursuing some of those other things.

I work construction for money and it is... Oddly rewarding. I can see a lot of people being totally out of place in a college setting, but finding a suitable and rewarding living becoming the master of a trade rather than going to a university. Plenty of other things too. Why do we treat college as the thing everyone *must* do when there are many other avenues to pursue?

Eh, I say this as someone who is literally pursuing is post graduate degree in literature. I love it - it is where I want to be and what I want to do - but looking at it, at close to a decade of degree hopping, being a professional studient... Going through the whole course of this education is a tremendous drain on resources with a dearth of utility at the end. The idea that *everyone* should be doing something along these lines, to look at it as just something that every person should do, seems like a mistake. It costs a lot and, frankly, there are many things to learn of great value beyond that which you find at a university. Some people, I believe, would be better off pursuing some of those other things.

I work construction for money and it is... Oddly rewarding. I can see a lot of people being totally out of place in a college setting, but finding a suitable and rewarding living becoming the master of a trade rather than going to a university. Plenty of other things too. Why do we treat college as the thing everyone *must* do when there are many other avenues to pursue

Do you assume that just because the option is there for folks to go to school that no one will go down another path ? That no one will do "construction" or learn a trade ?

Doesn't free mean free?
If it doesn't Bernie supporters are in for a rude awakening.

You seem to be stuck on the word free meaning no cost whatsoever. I dont think thats what bernies plan is but what do I know

You seem to be stuck on the word free meaning no cost whatsoever. I dont think thats what bernies plan is but what do I know
But free means free...there is no such thing
k.jpg

somebody has to pay for this shit.

Do you assume that just because the option is there for folks to go to school that no one will go down another path ? That no one will do "construction" or learn a trade ?

Not my very first sentence:

"I honestly think that, as a culture, we have to come to a realization that not everyone should go to college."

I'm speaking from a perspective of a cultural idolization of the college educated - that Baby Boomer mentality of "College is the key to the future!" It's not - that was a myth. College is the future for some people, not some universal right of passage we all must partake in. We should take a step back and analyze our love affair with a college education rather than rush in to make sure everyone gets one...

Now, I don't disagree with you in principle, but you don't see people rushing to get into the trades, at least in part because we idolize a college education and, to some degree, turn our noses up at someone who works with their hands. You don't see people rushing to have everyone's trade school paid for because that's not the shiny toy everyone wants to play with.

Sure, there will be some people who willingly follow other walks of life and that's good. They'll be making a *fortune* doing so while the value of a college degree drops to that of a highschool degree, and you'll have a generation of young people saying "Damnit, in hindsight, college was a huge waste of time..."

I'm speaking from a perspective of a cultural idolization of the college educated - that Baby Boomer mentality of "College is the key to the future!" It's not - that was a myth. College is the future for some people, not some universal right of passage we all must partake in. We should take a step back and analyze our love affair with a college education rather than rush in to make sure everyone gets one...

I dont think that everyone should go and get a college degree I just think that it would be a good investment in us as a people to make it a lot easier and cheaper for people to become more educated should they chose to go down that path. There needs to be some kind of standard to get in im not advocating we send everyone to college right after highschool. Im from Detroit man people where I live will go down any road if they think that theres money to be made at the end ya know what i mean ?

Eh, I say this as someone who is literally pursuing is post graduate degree in literature. I love it - it is where I want to be and what I want to do - but looking at it, at close to a decade of degree hopping, being a professional studient... Going through the whole course of this education is a tremendous drain on resources with a dearth of utility at the end.

So what? You're not doing it for a job, are you? You were implying that market income should be more valued in society than learning and that education should be measured in terms of income. That kind of thinking is disturbing, IMO.

with working your way through college?
Why would you want someone else to pay for it other than you are a lazy shit?
B.S. supporters,there is a reason why his initials are BS.

So going in debt for 2096029$ because youre not rich is 'working your way through college'?

LOL only in Murka

I dont think that everyone should go and get a college degree I just think that it would be a good investment in us as a people to make it a lot easier and cheaper for people to become more educated should they chose to go down that path. There needs to be some kind of standard to get in im not advocating we send everyone to college right after highschool. Im from Detroit man people where I live will go down any road if they think that theres money to be made at the end ya know what i mean ?

Well, my concern is that by essentially putting a giant money siphon into the college system from the state, we'll be both giving colleges a free license to continue upping the monetary cost of their service because they know there is a payer with deep pockets - the tax payer - while simultaneously devaluing the education they provide. And all for something, part of the American dream, which is more a cultural fixation than an actual practical or even desirable necessity for a lot of Americans...

We'll see what happens. Hell, I'm voting for Bernie and I don't agree with this element of his platform. Guess I'm asking for the thing I fear.

Back