Is there something wrong

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by silicavaginitis, Feb 11, 2016.

1. silicavaginitis

silicavaginitis Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

with working your way through college?
    Why would you want someone else to pay for it other than you are a lazy shit?
    B.S. supporters,there is a reason why his initials are BS.

2. Tobacco

Tobacco --------------------------------------------------

I worked my way through. Definitely nothing wrong with it. I worked 30+ hours as a full time student.

I was definitely at a disadvantage to my classmates from rich(er) families who were able to study while I was working all the time.

If I didn't work for it, I don't think other people would have paid for it. It was more like payback delayed since the amount of tax I pay now per year is six digits.

3. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

Thing is college is so much more expensive now than before.

4. lil billy

lil billy Forever White Belt

working on the side doesn't leave them enough time to convert you into a SJW?

5. ripskater

ripskater Guest

It's probably to the point now where it doesn't make sense for many college students to be in college. The cost is too high to really get your return for many people.

Thurisaz likes this.
  6. ehtheist

ehtheist #FreeBanchan Banned

I honestly think that, as a culture, we have to come to a realization that not everyone should go to college. In fact many, many people shouldn't. It's a lot of time and resources for something that just isn't the right fit for a lot of young people - but the old Boomer myth of "go to college and get a guaranteed big money career!" is still too prevalent in our heads. We need to wake up young people need to realize there are other courses, many of which are better for them, and there is nothing wrong with not getting a college education.

Instead, we're going in the opposite direction and acting as if another bazillion arts majors will be good, or producing enough engineers so that the profession is flooded and people aren't earning good money off of it. Making everyone a college grad will just do to college degrees what happened to highschool degrees... They become useless. Meanwhile, you can be a crappy electrician, work your own hours, and make six figures - and some kid who can talk about French literature is turning up their nose at the electrician from behind the counter at Starbucks.

Of course, if you throw more "free" money and getting everyone in college, do people expect the price to go up or down? Yeah, think about it... You're complaining about how expensive college is now, wait until it's "free" for everyone. Things always get cheaper when the government jumps directly the financials.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    Kafir-kun and ripskater like this.
  7. Ruprecht

Ruprecht Hands Of The Judges Staff Member Senior Moderator

I worked my way through College (AKA Uni), but fees at the time for Australian citizens were fixed at just under a grand per standard study period (half year).
    Even with our current subsidised system, that's now increased to about $5000 even for the cheapest courses.
    Very hard (if not impossible) to manage that while paying for food and rent and working a part time job or two.
    Without student loans and government assistance, virtually none of the lower socioeconomic groups would be able to manage and a fair whack of our sprawling middle class would seriously struggle as well (assuming at least some parental support).
    A situation which would be profoundly worse if the system were fully privatised.

Edit: Actually I just looked it up and there are still cheaper courses. It's basically streamed into three groups. Humanities, behavioural science, social studies, foreign languages, visual and performing arts, clinical psychology, nursing and education are about $3K per study period.
    Computing, built environment, health, engineering, surveying, agriculture, Mathematics1, statistics, science are about $4.5K.
    Law, dentistry, medicine, veterinary science, accounting, administration, economics, commerce are about $5K.
    Still very hard to manage.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. lookslikeseen

lookslikeseen Orange Belt

Does the G.I. Bill not exist anymore or something? Honest question. I've known plenty of people over the years that used the military to both mature as men, and earn money for college. If I had it all to do over again I'd do that too.

9. Serana

Serana Destroyer. Platinum Member

Because then you can focus on your courses 100%. You'll have the time for your homework, and not have the stress of jerk bosses and customers at those jobs. It will also increase the likelihood of people getting educated which will benefit society in the long run.

Falsedawn, FinalFight, Sohei and 2 others like this.
  10. Gutter Chris

Gutter Chris Chiropteran Enthusiast

You might not be cool with your taxes going towards that I guess bit I kind of think investing in americans to have better educations and less debt would be a good thing for america. Less debt after school probably be good for the housing market and the economy if you asked me.

I guess in the next few months well find out if more of the country agrees with me or with you

Uchi Mata likes this.
  11. GSP in 2006

GSP in 2006 Brown Belt

That's still a viable option, as long as you don't mind the possibility of getting blown up in the Middle East. To those that take that route, bless ya, but thats alot of risk for someone who's just looking for college money.

12. WorldofWarcraft

WorldofWarcraft Holy Paladin Banned

I just cannot recommend college anymore. It's much better to become friends with someone that can juice you into a government or a tradesman union gig.

M3t4tr0n likes this.
  13. Lustercross

Lustercross Brown Belt

We wouldn't have to go to the extreme of trying to make college free if it wasn't for it becoming excessively expensive. If college could go back to the prices of the old days then we wouldn't have this problem.

Sohei likes this.
  14. silicavaginitis

Taxes going to illegals? HELL NO!

15. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Well it is like buying a home. Most people borrow money to do it. Heck even Landlords do this. They borrow money, collect rent from other people to pay back loan and taxes, keep whatever is left after all expenses. If they lucky, they then sell it for even more borrowed money than they borrowed originally.

16. Jack V Savage

Jack V Savage Secretary of Keepin' It Real/Nicest Guy on Sherdog

Sad to see how common philistine attitudes like this are these days.

17. Yes it is a huge disadvantage and anyone who tells you otherwise is honestly lying or never worked. It is also always the same peoples kids (largely) attending the best schools, not having to stress to eat and balance school, and thus able to make great grades and then get into good grad schools or hit the 'prestigious' target GPA of many top recruiters have. In many ways a person is already at a disadvantage if they are in a particular class let alone if they have to work a lot. I do sympathize with those who have to still make do with crazy school deadlines, and really want to do well but often can't find the same level of time to commit to projects/tests because work interferes.

^ Yep this is a major issue and because minimum wage has not largely kept up with inflation it hurts even more. Just a modest increase in minimum wage that the American Economic Association favors would help a lot. Of course the desire to increase minimum wage isn't just for college kids working part time. Nonetheless though I know people basically 'killing' themselves and have no time trying to balance work and school.

Lustercross likes this.
  18. silicavaginitis

But you pay it back,which kinda gets away from the free concept.

Bernie is full of shit.

19. MadSquabbles500

MadSquabbles500 Steel Belt

Dont you have to pay back student loans too?

20. VulcanNervPinch

VulcanNervPinch Silver Belt

Yeah!

Everybody who went to high school and didn't pay for it is a lazy shit!

And a communist!