Is there anything Cain can do...

Koro_11

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
...in this rematch to top what Werdum already did to him?

I mean seriously, first he prepared better and spent more time in Mexico than Cain probably has in his life combined, then he lightly trolled him and got him to react like an emotional child, then he showed up and fought him in front of a 100% Mexican crowd, then he fought the actual fight wherever Cain wanted it and first broke him down standing, then he got him to commit suicide and go for a takedown. Then he made him quit. Then he mounted his new HW belt on his shoulder and gave a post fight interview in fluent Spanish, while Cain struggled to address his own crowd with his Spanglish.

I dont mind Cain, but this is the dumbest rematch I can think of. Even if Cain somehow wins it it will just demand a trilogy.

TS is conveniently forgetting that Werdum fought the worst Cain we've ever witnessed fight.

2 years layoff along with fighting at high elevation.

TS is conveniently forgetting that Werdum fought the worst Cain we've ever witnessed fight.

Cain is always fighting with 2 years layoff tho

I kid

Velasquez is an excellent fighter, but Werdum is just better. Werdum has always been underrated, and it's an easy thing to say in retrospect, but the truth is Werdum was always the best grappler in the heavyweight division, and showed incredible strides in his striking during the Travis Browne fight (where he also was the underdog). He's become the total mixed martial artist, and showed in his last fight that he's completely figured out Velasquez as well. Werdum was beating Velasquez before Velasquez gassed out.

Werdum will be to Velasquez, what Velasquez was to dos Santos.

Velasquez is an excellent fighter, but Werdum is just better. Werdum has always been underrated, and it's an easy thing to say in retrospect, but the truth is Werdum was always the best grappler in the heavyweight division, and showed incredible strides in his striking during the Travis Browne fight (where he also was the underdog). He's become the total mixed martial artist, and showed in his last fight that he's completely figured out Velasquez as well. Werdum was beating Velasquez before Velasquez gassed out.

Werdum will be to Velasquez, what Velasquez was to dos Santos.

He was beating Velasquez even though Velasquez won the first round.

I wonder if you'll willingly eat crow after the rematch.

As long as he stays healthy and in decent shape it should be enough. Gameplans don't seem to be a problem for Cain.

you are clearly a cain fan, which is cool, but i have an honest question.

if we assume that you are correct in that the 2 year layoff had a detrimental impact and that the elevation had a detrimental impact on cain's performance, how can you so blindly make excuses for a professional fighter that failed to perform or apparently train to extent that was necessary?

i dont wish to sound unkind, but i have had this argument with penn fans for years. he lost because he doesnt train, or wasnt ready or whatever. how can a person respect and follow a fighter that doesnt respect the sport or the fans or the opponent enough to properly prepare.

you are clearly a cain fan, which is cool, but i have an honest question.

if we assume that you are correct in that the 2 year layoff had a detrimental impact and that the elevation had a detrimental impact on cain's performance, how can you so blindly make excuses for a professional fighter that failed to perform or apparently train to extent that was necessary?

i dont wish to sound unkind, but i have had this argument with penn fans for years. he lost because he doesnt train, or wasnt ready or whatever. how can a person respect and follow a fighter that doesnt respect the sport or the fans or the opponent enough to properly prepare.

I agree he should've prepared in Mexico. He should've been ready for the elevation, but then again a 2 year layoff is also hard to overcome especially against an elite fighter.

I'm sure Velasquez trained hard, but he gassed out after the 1st round. Werdum did a great job of capitalizing when he turned into a punching bag, but he didn't beat the best Velasquez.

If he can follow through and win in dominating fashion again, then I'll happily say that Werdum is a league above Velasquez.

He was beating Velasquez even though Velasquez won the first round.

I wonder if you'll willingly eat crow after the rematch.

He won the first round? Shit, why didn't the ref call the fight then, so thoroughly impressed with Cain looking good for 3 minutes like he most assuredly was?

Werdum's clinch is DEADLY. I think if he had confidence in his thai clinch during that fight with Overeem, he would've beat him purely standup. Now that he knows he can manhandle every HW with it, there is no stopping him. This nullifies Cain's game, so the only way he'd win is to come up with completely different strategy. And he has not shown that kind of versatility.

He won the first round? Shit, why didn't the ref call the fight then, so thoroughly impressed with Cain looking good for 3 minutes like he most assuredly was?

When did I imply that's the entirety of the fight? The poster I was replying to said that Werdum was beating him when he was fresh which clearly wasn't the case.

For such 'domination', the significant strikes landed for each men was surprisingly close...

When did I imply that's the entirety of the fight? The poster I was replying to said that Werdum was beating him when he was fresh which clearly wasn't the case.

For such 'domination', the significant strikes landed for each men was surprisingly close...

Because Cain is a volume striker, but was barely landing with any force. On the contrary, nearly every time Werdum landed a shot, it would rock Cain or snap his head back. Rogan even made a comment about the sig strikes landed not reflecting that difference, and Rogan is as big a Cain nuthugger as a man can be.

Cain looked good for about 3 minutes before he started getting rocked in exchanges. Blame it on altitude or a layoff if you want, but he's always been very hittable and this whole "he won the first round" narrative I see Cain fans tossing around means dick because he didn't do any significant damage and got landed on hard.

I think the rematch will be closer, Cain has a couple rounds under his belt with the champ. I thought Cain got beat in every aspect of mma but I felt werdum did get hit alot. Cain needs to work on his clinch game I hated how he was escaping by turning his neck and body. It looked like he struggled everytime to get out and probly wasted alot of energy in doing so.

This rematch is fucking stupid and it's just a big ol' "FUCK YOU" to Werdum from the UFC.

Still, I think he can take it. Cain will come in stronger, hopefully. But there isn't really a spot where Cain has a clear advantage. Cain's striking has always been aided by the fear of the takedown. Same with his clinch work: throw strikes when they are defending the takedown, shoot takedowns when they react to the strikes.

Neither of those things are exactly troubling to Werdum. He has no problem ending up on his back. So, it will be interesting to see. In a straight striking match, I'd favour Werdum. So, unless Cain really finds a way to beat Werdum up the cage the entire fight, I think Werdum takes it again.

The vegas bookies know what's up, not a single place offering Velasquez as the underdog. Cain fans seen this all before with the 1st JDS fight and it will be equally glorious when history repeats against Werdum.

Werdum in my eyes did beat ubereem.. it was a shit fight, but werdum while looking terrible still did more than Reemm...

Cains style can beat werdum but im not sure that he can implement that style for 3, let alone 5 rounds... he can train to technically outmatch werdum in the clinch but that will take his full effort and im not sure he can keep up that pace...

striking wise he is faster and has better MMA boxing but its still a pressure based style... unless he can hurt werdum, werdum will outsmart him.. and technically out work him eventually...

its a tough road but being ready for 5 rounds cardio wise is the first step to beating werdum...

Ts and then is that the only word you know how to start a sentence with. He was coming off a 2 year lay off and made a huge mistake by not going to Mexico 2 months earlier. Also it was not an all Mexican crowd.

Back