Is there anyone that still has the "unstoppable" aura anymore?

I doubt that armbar couldn't have been any better, but thats just me.

If thats the case, then nobody has said aura.

Mir would've taken that arm home with him and fisted his wife with it.

Lol at the people who want to discredit Jones for getting caught in an armbar. His arm gets wrecked, he doesnt tap, and then he goes on to dominate and finish the fight with one good arm. How does this not give him a perception of being unstoppable lol? What WILL stop this guy, nothing else has lol...

He would have been stopped if Vitor had managed to break his arm. Something a better grappler probably would have managed to do.

A fighter can't get that close to being finished and still have his aura of invincibility imo.

Aldo wasn't really ever in trouble in the Hominick fight and it was obvious he was going to win. I never thought he was going to be finished, but I'll get back to that.

Trying to quantify something like someone's "unstoppable aura" is never going to yield a formula or answer where one person can be correct. It's a matter of opinion, and when I watch guys like Anderson and Aldo, there's just something "different" to me.

It's a mystique thing. If I saw Anderson or Aldo in an armbar, I'd expect them to be just fine, get out easily and go on to finish the fight in a devastating or glorious fashion. I thought Jones might tap when the armbar sunk in, so that's what constitutes him not having that "aura" for me yet.

I wasn't saying he had to finish nor have trouble with Hominick, but it wasn't the same Aldo who ran through everyone like he did in the WEC.

Not all armbars are the same. Its just like Anderson for example, I would expect Jones to not get subbed via flying scissor hold nor get caught in a RNC like Azeredo did to Aldo.

But its just me.

I doubt that armbar couldn't have been any better, but thats just me.
And I think it could have been executed better by someone on the same skill level of Maia/Mir/Werdum.

I agree with this, but I feel the same way as Anderson getting tooled for 5 rounds and coming back to submit Chael same as Fedor getting randleplexed but responding as though nothing happened. A lot of people seem to view this differently from me.

To an extent I see this. The difference is that Silva before that fight (UFC only mind you) was nowhere near losing any of his fights. Chael had many people believing that he was going to win the rematch. Does anyone here really think the same with Vitor/Jones? Cheal really knocked the aura off of Silva, IMHO Vitor did not do this to Jones. Vitor did something similar to what Randleman and Fujita did to Fedor. They got one good move in a fight but the aura for Fedor was still there afterwards...

He would have been stopped if Vitor had managed to break his arm. Something a better grappler probably would have managed to do.

A fighter can't get that close to being finished and still have his aura of invincibility imo.

This defines invincibility to me. Being so close to finished or being beat on for 5 rounds and still being able to win. Its like the opponent has to bring a Desert Eagle in the cage with him to have a chance.

To an extent I see this. The difference is that Silva before that fight (UFC only mind you) was nowhere near losing any of his fights. Chael had many people believing that he was going to win the rematch. Does anyone here really think the same with Vitor/Jones? Cheal really knocked the aura off of Silva, IMHO Vitor did not do this to Jones. Vitor did something similar to what Randleman and Fujita did to Fedor. They got one good move in a fight but the aura for Fedor was still there afterwards...

Anderson was also injured, and Chael was a little stronger than usual.

If you feel that way, then currently no one has that aura. Like a previous poster said, its all opinion anyway, but Jones to me is the champ that I feel no one is anywhere near defeating, thus he has that "aura"

This defines invincibility to me. Being so close to finished or being beat on for 5 rounds and still being able to win. Its like the opponent has to bring a Desert Eagle in the cage with him to have a chance.
For me an invincible fighter is someone who is never really in any danger, never close to being finished etc.

I guess my standards are a lot higher when it comes to what constitues as an invincible/unstoppable fighter.

And I think it could have been executed better by someone on the same skill level of Maia/Mir/Werdum.

Of course a 4th degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, a 2nd degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, and a BJJ Blackbelt/NCAA wrestler all would have done better than a MW BJJ Blackbelt who fought at LHW for the first time in years against a champion. Needless to say that two of your options are fighters from a higher weight class. Truly eye-opening.

Of course a 4th degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, a 2nd degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, and a BJJ Blackbelt/NCAA wrestler all would have done better than a MW BJJ Blackbelt who fought at 205 for the first time in years against a champion. Needless to say that two of your options are fighters from a higher weight class. Truly eye-opening.
Well you seemed to question that a few pages back.

It doesn't mean that he cannot be defeated, but only Jones has that unstoppable aura right now, in my opinion.

Silva lost his aura after the first Sonnen fight.
GSP lost his aura after Matt Serra; the new GSP looked stoppable after the Condit fight.

Needless to say that two of your options are fighters from a higher weight class.
I didn't say those fighters specifically, I said a fighter with the same level of skill in BJJ as one of them. Big difference.

Of course a 4th degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, a 2nd degree BJJ Blackbelt/ADCC champion, and a BJJ Blackbelt/NCAA wrestler all would have done better than a MW BJJ Blackbelt who fought at LHW for the first time in years against a champion. Needless to say that two of your options are fighters from a higher weight class. Truly eye-opening.

and there is still no saying if they would be able to get the armbar on jon.

i dont see his submission def as a big hole yet.

Vitor is a competent grappler too. BJJ and Judo BB as well as placing in ADCC. Some in this thread are minimizing his grappling. The guy knows how to armbar someone. His flaw was letting up on it however, which shows compassion not lack of skill...

Back