Is there anyone on the forum who received a dan rank?

I'm a former pro boxer as well who also has a black belt in kickboxing & a first-degree black belt in Kajukenbo ( aka Hawaiian Kempo ).

I actually began training in Isshin Ryu Karate when I was 13 years old & made it to the rank of green belt after two years but then the academy that I was studying at closed down so I switched to Tae Kwon Do. And I made it to my red belt test after almost two years which I failed because of my half-assed preparation for it. I just didn't practice my forms nearly enough as I'd become bored with it as I was far more interested in boxing by that point.

I began training as a boxer full time shortly after my 17th birthday & I had my first fight about two months later. Then three years later when I was training for my pro debut I switched from my amateur boxing gym at the local PAL to a pro gym. One that happened to be a hybrid boxing/kickboxing gym. So, I began crosstraining as a kickboxer as well & I earned my black belt in a year. In fact, I was awarded my black belt just after my lone professional kickboxing bout in Kingston, Ontario against Jersey Long who was the Canadian light middleweight champion at the time. I fought him to a draw & while I was training for my second pro kickboxing bout a few months later I blew out my knee which required reconstructive surgery & titanium screws to put it back together. So, that put an end to my kickboxing career.

I continued to box though & after 60 amateur & professional fights I retired in my thirties but I wanted to stay active so I began training with an old friend, Marc McIntyre from my kickboxing days who had opened his own martial arts school. And within about 18 months I earned my first-degree black belt in Kajukenbo.

So, now that I've bored you with my history, what about yours? I'm always interested in hearing about fighters like myself who boxed but who also have experience in martial arts as well. Did you fight as an amateur? How about as a pro? And what style of Karate did you train in? How far did go in its ranking system?

Looking forward to hearing back from you as well as any others with similar backgrounds & experience.

Peace.
nice post
a lot of useful info
thanks

So I’m not sure who you are referring to about not caring about lineage here ?
Because students achievments are easily checkable in internet and not a dan ranking in all places might made someone to be eliglible tecah KB but certificiates, approved and registered by sports councils maintained under government control. = lineage doesn't matters nothing here. Unless, yes, that much worth it: yeah, teenager had been trained to box under disciple of the guy that was used for 3 Olympic teams, definitely worse stuff than belts.............. or a guy had been ranked by international orgs in ammy boxing top 8 th when he was a teen. = 0 worth of course. Or a bummy that had bronze medals at world championships.
-----------
Dan ranks in karate might matter not much at all until someone is under some federation that recognizes it and each of them does have their own hombo dojo, statutes and rules. + if for shotokan, usually only nidan can promote for shodan exam a guy, and shodan grading panel is with guys with sandan ( 3 rd degree ) or abowe ranks. Yup they does have now 5 different federations .........
-------------
If about Kata, in karate medalists in Kata rarerly are also Kumite medalists and there yeah, really depends will they ask 2-5 kata or these all 25-26-27 kata to show. = sport competitors not rarerly does have different masters for Kata and Kumite, this about continental level or above. Kata at high level is more close to almost true pro stuff than ammy or semi pro.

True that. Very impressive, bro.

My lineage in Kajukenbo goes back to Al Dacascos & Adriano Emperado.

While my kickboxing lineage goes back to John Longstreet.
Many martial artists were inducted into the hall of fame in 2015 ,I was invited to one through my own instructor and Master Seiber . Some boxers were there ,Frank Dux , Muhammad Ali was also inducted to that night but wasn’t there they had a huge giant screen showing though ,I sat next to former heavyweight Owen Beck who’s a far better basic martial artist then pure boxer ,he trains under another branch under another instructor below Seiber . These guys are in TN ,I’m in NY area.

I”ll check those guys out later, Longstreet sounds familiar .

Muhammad Ali
Ali = why not. In ammies too = national pride, Oly Gold medal for the U.S alone is a lot worth.
Then he bouted with Liston, a bit too undervalued Liston and appeared only one to continued fight after won Liston in pros. + later banged with Frazier and Foreman, Oly gold medalists & this Shavers guy.

Many martial artists were inducted into the hall of fame in 2015 ,I was invited to one through my own instructor and Master Seiber . Some boxers were there ,Frank Dux , Muhammad Ali was also inducted to that night but wasn’t there they had a huge giant screen showing though ,I sat next to former heavyweight Owen Beck who’s a far better basic martial artist then pure boxer ,he trains under another branch under another instructor below Seiber . These guys are in TN ,I’m in NY area.

I”ll check those guys out later, Longstreet sounds familiar .

Wow. That sounds like quite a night. Cool.

I didn't realize that Owen Beck was a martial artist as well as a boxer. Do you know if he started out as a Karateka first & then got into boxing or if it was the other way around? It would be unusual if it were the latter situation though. It's pretty rare for a fighter, at least not a pro fighter, to go from boxing to martial arts training. Most transition the way I did. Although, I suppose you could say I did both because I went from TMA training to boxing/kickboxing back to TMA. Although I consider Kajukenbo to be more of a combative system than a TMA.

Wow. That sounds like quite a night. Cool.

I didn't realize that Owen Beck was a martial artist as well as a boxer. Do you know if he started out as a Karateka first & then got into boxing or if it was the other way around? It would be unusual if it were the latter situation though. It's pretty rare for a fighter, at least not a pro fighter, to go from boxing to martial arts training. Most transition the way I did. Although, I suppose you could say I did both because I went from TMA training to boxing/kickboxing back to TMA. Although I consider Kajukenbo to be more of a combative system than a TMA.
Beck was a boxer first, he actually challenged Seiber in a seminar or Dojo not with evil intent but he lost in whatever they did and realized these guys don’t play around like many of them fake guys there’s plenty out there ,I believe Beck was dropped with kicks and he then trained took up the art under someone under him . I believe this was just a few years before he fought Valuev .

I went from more grappling ,to boxing ,to Martial arts back to boxing and still grapple , which I dabble in ,can’t say I’m committed to traditional arts but only use what works anyway as most smart practitioners will tell you ,your not going to use all the fancy stuff just remember a few moves and do others on instinct . I guess I’m the guy who has a black belt level understanding with no black belt at least that’s what I’m told ,I entered a few tournaments pretending to be one ( with permission) I went into a grappling tournament a year ago under a false school ( you needed one ) and conned my way into the national championship held in P.A with no training in the particular art of just top submissions Jui Jitsu and lied about my age because I was over 40 and wanted the best guys ( of course after a night out of drinking hard ) I managed to get a draw with the winner of the weight class and then they didn’t let me get a second match so I bowed out and left...lol

Sounds like we both been through wars , I have some boxing matches ,more tough man fights ,some bare knuckle ,I guess my claim to fame I sparred Yuri Vaulin back in the day when I didn’t even know how to throw a real punch but held my own and took over his boxing class pretending like I knew what I was doing ,I didn’t want to tell him I never boxed ,he thought I was a pro...lol

Beck was a boxer first, he actually challenged Seiber in a seminar or Dojo not with evil intent but he lost in whatever they did and realized these guys don’t play around like many of them fake guys there’s plenty out there ,I believe Beck was dropped with kicks and he then trained took up the art under someone under him . I believe this was just a few years before he fought Valuev .

I went from more grappling ,to boxing ,to Martial arts back to boxing and still grapple , which I dabble in ,can’t say I’m committed to traditional arts but only use what works anyway as most smart practitioners will tell you ,your not going to use all the fancy stuff just remember a few moves and do others on instinct . I guess I’m the guy who has a black belt level understanding with no black belt at least that’s what I’m told ,I entered a few tournaments pretending to be one ( with permission) I went into a grappling tournament a year ago under a false school ( you needed one ) and conned my way into the national championship held in P.A with no training in the particular art of just top submissions Jui Jitsu and lied about my age because I was over 40 and wanted the best guys ( of course after a night out of drinking hard ) I managed to get a draw with the winner of the weight class and then they didn’t let me get a second match so I bowed out and left...lol

Sounds like we both been through wars , I have some boxing matches ,more tough man fights ,some bare knuckle ,I guess my claim to fame I sparred Yuri Vaulin back in the day when I didn’t even know how to throw a real punch but held my own and took over his boxing class pretending like I knew what I was doing ,I didn’t want to tell him I never boxed ,he thought I was a pro...lol

Damn, that's pretty impressive stuff. Vaulin was a damn good fighter. He won the first four rounds against Tommy Morrison before he got knocked out.

Grappling was never my thing. I tried Judo for about a month after my Isshin Ryu school closed down but before I switched to TKD but I didn't like it. I was a striker at heart & I didn't really give Judo was much of a chance. Then, I did just enough grappling to get through the Kajukenbo curriculum for my belt advancements but it was modified for me because of my surgically repaired knee. So, I envy guys like you that are as good on the ground as they are on their feet.

Damn, that's pretty impressive stuff. Vaulin was a damn good fighter. He won the first four rounds against Tommy Morrison before he got knocked out.

Grappling was never my thing. I tried Judo for about a month after my Isshin Ryu school closed down but before I switched to TKD but I didn't like it. I was a striker at heart & I didn't really give Judo was much of a chance. Then, I did just enough grappling to get through the Kajukenbo curriculum for my belt advancements but it was modified for me because of my surgically repaired knee. So, I envy guys like you that are as good on the ground as they are on their feet.
I was always stronger physically grabbing then punching wise but then it was almost even late in my years .when I concentrated on power ,I never took up pro boxing bc of health issues concerning skin but my father was 19 and 1 in the ams and one of my uncles was undefeated in over 20 fights ,the other one was a Army champion who later trained a young Bowe in the PAL in the day said he was lazy...lol...my other uncle was a hit man / enforcer for the Irish mob . So yea we’re bread to fight ...lol.

I actually learned to fight from all the beatings I took from my older brother by the time he was through with me I was ready for anyone , I fought Jesse Oltmanns back in the day in a bare knuckle fight when he was actually tough I was coming off of chemotherapy so I wasn’t all there but he was the bare knuckle champion in the area . He actually fought Wilder in his 22nd fight ,not much of a boxer but great bare knuckle fighter ,it was a draw back to 1992 ,I think he hit me about 20 feet backwards with weight lifting gloves on splitting my eye open. I was the only guy he never knocked out in a fight ,to bad he didn’t hit Wilder ,he got clipped on back of the head so the fight was a fiasco .

Yea injuries suck as you get older ,I’m 46 now still looking to fight I still got it ,I also did strong man competition stuff like bench press and professional arm wrestling back in the day now I’m actually lifting giant rocks weighing hundreds of pounds at a body weight of 180 and the recovery sucks ,I don’t recover like I used to but I’m definitely not losing strength...yet . Lol

So just a little bio about me when you see me go on warpath with certain posters ,there’s always a reason behind it ,there’s a few ones I have problems with on here and they know why . Lol

Hope your injuries don’t effect you to much ,look forward to maybe seeing some vids ,I have one of a bout 3 yrs ago if I find I’ll post it. I had one of my fights but it was erased when the person recording it decided to record the ring girls instead .i wanted to kill him. Lol

I was coming off of chemotherapy so I wasn’t all there
After intense chemo it is good if fulltime hard work in office is doable, so congrats..........
chemo was with what kind of preperates? neo ad or ad or combo with this, ofc not palliative ............. u had been to be used to be strong not less than if for a tittle fight, bud.

I am a 3rd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, sure I can post my certificate from the World Black Belt Bureau but truth is all anyone has to do is fill out the application and pay the fee to get one.
In Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, I am a Blue Belt that trains at Carlos Machado Headquarters
0-1 amateur Boxing

I was always stronger physically grabbing then punching wise but then it was almost even late in my years .when I concentrated on power ,I never took up pro boxing bc of health issues concerning skin but my father was 19 and 1 in the ams and one of my uncles was undefeated in over 20 fights ,the other one was a Army champion who later trained a young Bowe in the PAL in the day said he was lazy...lol...my other uncle was a hit man / enforcer for the Irish mob . So yea we’re bread to fight ...lol.

I actually learned to fight from all the beatings I took from my older brother by the time he was through with me I was ready for anyone , I fought Jesse Oltmanns back in the day in a bare knuckle fight when he was actually tough I was coming off of chemotherapy so I wasn’t all there but he was the bare knuckle champion in the area . He actually fought Wilder in his 22nd fight ,not much of a boxer but great bare knuckle fighter ,it was a draw back to 1992 ,I think he hit me about 20 feet backwards with weight lifting gloves on splitting my eye open. I was the only guy he never knocked out in a fight ,to bad he didn’t hit Wilder ,he got clipped on back of the head so the fight was a fiasco .

Yea injuries suck as you get older ,I’m 46 now still looking to fight I still got it ,I also did strong man competition stuff like bench press and professional arm wrestling back in the day now I’m actually lifting giant rocks weighing hundreds of pounds at a body weight of 180 and the recovery sucks ,I don’t recover like I used to but I’m definitely not losing strength...yet . Lol

So just a little bio about me when you see me go on warpath with certain posters ,there’s always a reason behind it ,there’s a few ones I have problems with on here and they know why . Lol

Hope your injuries don’t effect you to much ,look forward to maybe seeing some vids ,I have one of a bout 3 yrs ago if I find I’ll post it. I had one of my fights but it was erased when the person recording it decided to record the ring girls instead .i wanted to kill him. Lol

No, the injuries are debilitating to a great degree. I just need the help of some prescription drugs occasionally when they flair up. No big deal. Things could be a whole hell of a lot worse.

self proclaiming something discredits all importance.

I never thought i'd ever defend broadcast, but get this nonsense out of here, this troll's proclamation in itself doesn't even make sense. Oh i guess the importance is discredited then.

Back