Is there anyone here who ignored / actively disrespected the Pledge of Allegiance at School?

I did both ignore and actively disrespect the pledge, but I was/am a decently sized shithead often times so it wasn't really exceptional.

The Pledge of Allegiance was one of my favorite parts of grade school and something that was actually beneficial.

I always said it, hand over heart. Still do. Don't have an issue with anyone who doesn't. If I'm pledging allegiance to the country and the liberty/justice for which stands...part of that is pledging allegiance to the idea that it's ok when other people express their liberty differently than I do.

It's weird that people who are so insistent on others respecting the symbols of American values aren't as attached to the meaning of the values behind the symbols.

Do we want people to just say the words or live the meaning?
This. I'll do it because of the respect for my nation, and try not to judge others for not doing it. It's hard not to think that we're so lucky and spoiled though, but the ability to not do it is what makes us strong.

Which other country has such a creepy cultlike behaviour enforced on children?
bellamy-salute01.jpg

05146aa3b4db46180998633712d71aa5a3fd09.jpg

051a648e0b4c4d7101579dce7301a42880a1d1-wm.jpg

o-rly023.gif

Is there anyone here that ignored or disrespected the pledge of allegiance just because it would get them more likes on Facebook?

Ask them what they're "protesting". They don't know.

I dont know what country you are referring to but thats not how i view our pledge of allegiance at all here in the U.S.
I dont pledge allegiance to the politicians or even to the government, just to the country and the citizens of the country. Governments change slowly, politicians change frequently, so far our country has made it 242 years and is going strong. I dont see any problem with publicly declaring your allegiance to others that support at least the basic ideas behind the United States of America. Maybe im brainwashed though, i was in the military.

You're pledging also to the Republic that is one and indivisible. And as I mentioned before, the wanking politicians are the brains of the republic. Being indivisible, when they say "suck my cock," you pledge that that statement is for the republic cuz you're under allegiance after all.

BTW, politicians change frequently = yes but notice: politicians just cycle. They might lose their position but end up in a lower position still with power in their hands. And who claims top position? Their allies. In my country we have a term "TraPo" pronounced Trap-poh. It's the Filipino word for rags used for wiping dirt and floors, and it stands for TRAditional POliticians. These wankers, dirty rags as they are, pass on the power from relative to relative, or to their political cronies/allies. Just think Bill then afterwards Hillary. Whatever happens, its still the same bunch of wankers gunning for first place. And the US, have only two primary political parties, have a deeply entrenched institution already. Then look at their local politicians and see how long are they in office already or someone related to them. Politicians change frequently?

You're pledging also to the Republic that is one and indivisible. And as I mentioned before, the wanking politicians are the brains of the republic. Being indivisible, when they say "suck my cock," you pledge that that statement is for the republic cuz you're under allegiance after all.

BTW, politicians change frequently = yes but notice: politicians just cycle. They might lose their position but end up in a lower position still with power in their hands. And who claims top position? Their allies. In my country we have a term "TraPo" pronounced Trap-poh. It's the Filipino word for rags used for wiping dirt and floors, and it stands for TRAditional POliticians. These wankers, dirty rags as they are, pass on the power from relative to relative, or to their political cronies/allies. Just think Bill then afterwards Hillary. Whatever happens, its still the same bunch of wankers gunning for first place. And the US, have only two primary political parties, have a deeply entrenched institution already. Then look at their local politicians and see how long are they in office already or someone related to them. Politicians change frequently?
You do have a point with corruption but we should always fight corruption as much as possible. Thats a never ending battle.
For some reason you are obsessed with giving blowjobs to politicians. Not only is that worrisome but it doesnt really apply. You do realize that pledging allegiance in the U.S. does not make you some kind of slave right? I mean, if my politician came to my house right now and knocked on my door, than said "suck my dick!". I could make him leave or have him arrested.
Has someone made you suck there dick because of the Pledge of Allegiance?

You do have a point with corruption but we should always fight corruption as much as possible. Thats a never ending battle.

Of course it's a never ending battle: a successful politician needs to be corrupt, no matter how small. Gaining power and staying in power is hard work, and corruption makes it easier to do so. It's like PEDs, you can ban it but you can't stop it cuz it works.

For some reason you are obsessed with giving blowjobs to politicians. Not only is that worrisome but it doesnt really apply. You do realize that pledging allegiance in the U.S. does not make you some kind of slave right? I mean, if my politician came to my house right now and knocked on my door, than said "suck my dick!". I could make him leave or have him arrested.
Has someone made you suck there dick because of the Pledge of Allegiance?

Nope, but the President of my country grabbed a wet kiss from a still-married woman in full view of the public. And the public can't do shit about it except wail and cry cuz they don't have the power. It drives home the truth about democracy: it doesn't take long for it to change from reality to illusion. My country's already changed, how about yours?

Of course it's a never ending battle: a successful politician needs to be corrupt, no matter how small. Gaining power and staying in power is hard work, and corruption makes it easier to do so. It's like PEDs, you can ban it but you can't stop it cuz it works.

Nope, but the President of my country grabbed a wet kiss from a still-married woman in full view of the public. And the public can't do shit about it except wail and cry cuz they don't have the power. It drives home the truth about democracy: it doesn't take long for it to change from reality to illusion. My country's already changed, how about yours?
Mines not that bad yet. Where are you from? Here in the U.S. we are heading that way but we still have options. There is a lot of corruption but its just below the surface. Like we all know its there but noone has bothered taking it head on yet. Our biggest problem is global conglomerates taking control. Im not sure if we can stop that.

I would stand to not make a scene but I wouldn't hand on heart nor say it. Pledging to the flag is whatever but the under god part that got added in pissed me off as a teen.

I think by compelling something like that you are really poisoning the well. A morning moment of silence where we were encouraged to reflect on the flag or say whatever we want to ourselves would have been fine.

As an adult, I'm not a fan of making children recite a pledge that they're too young to understand.

But if you're a school aged kid (with the life experience thereof), I have serious doubts as to whether you're capable of the depth of analysis (you lack the knowledge and experience) required to come up with political opinions that weren't simply spoon fed to you by either your parents, teachers, or some other role model.

I think it's wrong to make children pawns/mouthpieces whether you're the government or an anti-government ideologue. Teach children HOW to think, not what to think.

Last edited:

Most Phillipinos approve of Duterte though, don't they? Sounds like a case of getting what you asked for, from the outside.

Mines not that bad yet. Where are you from? Here in the U.S. we are heading that way but we still have options. There is a lot of corruption but its just below the surface. Like we all know its there but noone has bothered taking it head on yet. Our biggest problem is global conglomerates taking control. Im not sure if we can stop that.

And who protects the global conglomerates? When benefits are infringed, it's a no-brainer that the nation's military that where the employees and base of the company usually occupy are the ones mobilized to protect interests.

The president of my country already told us to turn around and bend over to China cuz no way in hell can we defend the Spratlys. It's true, but a candid public admission is a slap in the face to the military and signals to China that we are inept enough to be fucked over.

Most Phillipinos approve of Duterte though, don't they? Sounds like a case of getting what you asked for, from the outside.

They approve, as long as they don't get touched. The families of the targets of purging, however, think otherwise.

Never voted for him, or any other president in my country's history. I guess my fellow citizens get what they wished for: Duterte promised change, but he didn't specify exactly what change. A punch to the face changes the arrangement of one's face, so does a bullet to the head change the integrity and structure of one's skull.

For Change!

I’m okay with kids not participating if they don’t want to. I’m patriotic but I don’t believe in forced patriotism. I don’t believe they should be allowed to disrespect or protest it in a publice school however. Just sit or stand in silence if you don’t want to recite it. Kids don’t need to be patriotic, but they do need to be tought respect.

Last edited:
In school when it was time to say the pledge, I would just repeat "fuck you" until it was over.

Hard to sell a kid on freedom when he's getting patted down and searched in between classes at age 12

We use to be forced to sing the Australian national anthem in primary school. Don't even know if i can rememver the words, dorky was song I'd rather forget.

Back