is there any way to know PPV numbers post-ESPN?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Dionysian, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Dionysian Silver Belt

Just curious... in particular I was wondering about numbers for 242 (to know Khabib's base since the rest of the card was a ghost town), 244 (for how much the BMF promotion worked) and 246 (to know Conor's base since the rest of the card was a ghost town).

Any idea? Or has that era passed and we'll never be able to measure the UFC's commercial success any longer? I miss the days when this was all public and we had some type of yardstick as fans.

2. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

3. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

4. Zebra Cheeks 2Cheeks Staff Member Senior Moderator

5. davidlemonparty Black Belt

Send Dave Meltzer a telegram

6. Soul On Ice Banned Banned

Yeah

Ask Dana or work for UFC/ESPN in some way where it's your jerb to know the PPV numbers

7. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

8. Dionysian Silver Belt

Sucks. Other than the one thread where the guy posted Dana saying some PPV was good "even in the ESPN era" we'll never know then. Obviously Dana wouldn't have said that unless ESPN numbers were, on average, lower than the numbers before. Then again that makes sense considering the medium.

Anyway, yeah it sucks. I was really interested in knowing how Khabib and Conor do on PPV post-229, since 242 and 246 would be perfect measuring sticks since there was pretty much no support from the rest of the card in both cases.

Anyway I'll be sure to call bullshit whenever anyone quotes PPV numbers in that case. Which for some reason plenty of people do on Sherdog about the recent PPV cards...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  9. Mammothman Silver Belt

The days of knowing who is a star based of PPV sales are long gone.

Welcome to the espn era

10. boss429 BowtieA$$a$$in

I don't think the 242 numbers could really be used as a gauge for Khabib since the card was on before noon on a summer Saturday, that's a pretty big handicap right out of the gate.

Though I guess if it put up even half decent numbers given the circumstances that would be a pretty big deal.

I really wanted to know the Diaz/ Mas numbers though since I predicted it would likely be the biggest seller if 2019 by a substantial margin and it had nothing to do with the "BMF" belt, its because it was the return of the guy people love to claim wasn't a draw before Conor despite that first fight setting the UFC record at the time on 10 days notice and both fights outselling the Alverez fight which should have been huge if it was Conor alone selling these cards, especially with that undercard and it being the MSG debut.

11. Dorkman Silver Belt

Doubtful. We're in the age of "This event did what would be equivalent to X amount of buys in the old model". So whatever they want to tell us to sound sweet I guess. Only way you'll get an idea is when quarterly earning reports come out since they're publicly traded now. You might be able to get an idea based on spikes in revenue in the reports kind of like people do with WWE's earning reports.

12. Sakurabaism Black Belt

Be the CEO of ESPN / Disney, Easy.

13. eddymotto Red Belt

The UFC PPV numbers were never public. Meltzer’s numbers were his estimates. Dana would sometimes make public statements but, of course, he is a well known liar.

Real historical numbers have leaked out from the Zuffa sale & fighter lawsuit

not sure what Disney will report but prob not much since UFC PPV numbers are not even a rounding error for the overall business

only thing to keep in mind is Disney is public & so if they release any numbers (eg. As a one off) they need to be valid or they would face liability

ESPN has made very clear that subscriber growth, not PPV buys, are their main goal

14. Thepaintbucket Gold Belt

The UFC has never released hard numbers to the public. It's always been Dana White blowing smoke up our asses to sell MMA.

The only exception from what i've remembered is when an investor document was leaked and maybe I think during a few legal battles.

Dana White for example was saying UFC 196 did 1.6 million buys and on the investor document it was listed as 1,317,000.