Is There Any Use of the Backfists?

I have a pro fighter I work with who broke their arm in the second round of a fight with a spinning back fist and had to go on fighting anyways. lost a decision but earned my respect for all time.

I never used it in sparring, or any of my fights, that being said I dont discredit the technique, im sure it is and can be effective, I just never found much use for it myself. The only "weird" jab I would use when fighting is the shovel jab or flick jab, bill wallace jab is simiar to a flick jab in a way.
They banned it in some ammy fights early on, because spazzy ppl jump in and ate spinning elbows

While not a full back fist, watch any Manny Pacquiao fight and he flicks out his jab almost backwards. He uses it to maximise his reach and he has such good andexplosive footwork, he follows it up by diving in with a straight left hand down the pipe

I think Ciryl Gane used it a few times his last time out against Boser.

Andrei Arlovski dropped Travis Browne with a back fist

First- I mean the regular back fist, not spinning back fist. Is there any use in real fights for this strikes? When we spar light I use it from time to time, but when the spars are harder I forget to use it. I have never met someone who have used it in a hard sparring. This is a technique which is not very common, but still exists, why? As far as I know it is used in JKD, but is some kind of feint or is a real weapon?

I think that with conditioned knuckles it can hurt, it is also an unforeseen angle

sometimes ill flip a jab with the back of my knuckles which can be considered a backfist but i dont try to really hurt the person its more to keep something n their face for me to move and stay busy

Kyokushin karate name: Uraken mawashi uchi
Nickname in MMA: casting punch

Kyokushin karate name: Uraken mawashi uchi
Nickname in MMA: casting punch

I like this punch without gloves, it is like some hook with thumb down position, but some say that it is not good with gloves, because you can break your wrist/forearm like this.

Love when people demonstrate how to punch like fedor and it's nothing like it.
Many claim that these punches are used in SAMBO, because are good to mix the striking with grappling. Honestly I don't see how you can switch from striking to grappling hitting in this way, but I am not an expert. :)

The back fist is an extremely important move. Can be very powerful too.

The back fist is an extremely important move. Can be very powerful too.
Hm, sounds interesting! Can you give some more details? I think it is very fast, but powerful? Can it be?

For example like this.

But this isn't classic uraken. Classic uraken is done with algined fist with intent to smash templar bone. In order to perform it, one should know that this isn't less dangerous than throat smashing. So yeah, before to perform think about prison. If done properly, at minimum it will be GBH and to get know what stuff prosecutor and judge is.

Hm, sounds interesting! Can you give some more details? I think it is very fast, but powerful? Can it be?
Are forehand shot is always stronger than a backhand, this is known from tennis, it doesn't mean the backhand isn't a valuable shot. Not as applicable in fighting obviously, but it is something to work with. I'm not really a fan of jumping techniques (No air brakes) but that doesn't mean they aren't effective, and quite often the best technique is the one your opponent expects the least.

Like the poster below my original post said it is designed to strike the temple region with the 2 largest knuckles. Extremely dangerous.

Check out this video for example for it being applied perfectly in a self defense situation

For example like this.

But this isn't classic uraken. Classic uraken is done with algined fist with intent to smash templar bone. In order to perform it, one should know that this isn't less dangerous than throat smashing. So yeah, before to perform think about prison. If done properly, at minimum it will be GBH and to get know what stuff prosecutor and judge is.

If it is in TMAs, it should work barehanded.

Are forehand shot is always stronger than a backhand, this is known from tennis, it doesn't mean the backhand isn't a valuable shot. Not as applicable in fighting obviously, but it is something to work with. I'm not really a fan of jumping techniques (No air brakes) but that doesn't mean they aren't effective, and quite often the best technique is the one your opponent expects the least.

Yeah, I agree, if we don't like some technique, it doesn't mean that it don't work.

Like the poster below my original post said it is designed to strike the temple region with the 2 largest knuckles. Extremely dangerous.

Check out this video for example for it being applied perfectly in a self defense situation

Yes, it working as we have seen, but isn't dangerous for the knuckles. As far as I know big part of knuckle breakages are happening when knuckles connect with temples.

Back