Is There Any Use of the Backfists?

Adnan Adil

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
First- I mean the regular back fist, not spinning back fist. Is there any use in real fights for this strikes? When we spar light I use it from time to time, but when the spars are harder I forget to use it. I have never met someone who have used it in a hard sparring. This is a technique which is not very common, but still exists, why? As far as I know it is used in JKD, but is some kind of feint or is a real weapon?

Use it like a jab it's not a power weapon. But to be honest I prefer the hammer fist type of strikes over the back of the knuckles back fist point karate style. You're just not allowed to strike with the bottom of the glove in most sports.

A female fighter named Gabi Garcia accidentally landed one and got a knockdown out of it. Probably the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Happens at 4:10

bill wallace used the backfist as his jab, i cant seem to find the video, but he demonstrates it in one of his tutorials.

I only use it when I’m off balance but not worried about being countered (opponent off balance or slow to react) and it happens to be the fastest strike I can throw

bill wallace used the backfist as his jab, i cant seem to find the video, but he demonstrates it in one of his tutorials.

There is a video of Wallace on that youtube channel of Karate Nerd or something like this.

I only use it when I’m off balance but not worried about being countered (opponent off balance or slow to react) and it happens to be the fastest strike I can throw
Yes, me, too. I also know guys who do the same. I think the back fist is faster than the jab, but less powerful.

In combat sports it has little application, but in self defense it could be even even less used. I wonder is there big difference if it is bare handed?

There is a clip of Baer hitting the bag with everything including elbows and backfists. He used it a bit against schmelling.

It looks like that he was a complete boxer! :)
Baer was a wild man for sure. He had a murderous right hand, and wasn't scared to throw the sink at them. Baer is a great example for people that think boxers are defined by the big "puffy" gloves.

Baer was a wild man for sure. He had a murderous right hand, and wasn't scared to throw the sink at them. Baer is a great example for people that think boxers are defined by the big "puffy" gloves.
Interesting, I would make some research about him. I know many people who claim this for boxers and for boxing at all.

They disrupt rhythm.
Chris Weidman knocked out Anderson Silva because he threw a backfist, which through Silva's rhythm, then he KO'd him with the hook.

for sport? ya, i'd say a lot.
the round back fist can be quick and used for judging distance similar to jab as mentioned before, and while people likely won't expect it or see it coming, 99% of fighters in MMA, KB, MT would likely never see an over the top backfist coming as it's such a weird technique...one i've never seen outside of traditional karate.

from a karate standpoint both types should have the fist snapping into the target to create extra momentum and thus force, rather than being used rigidly like a club.

Last edited:
tumblr_o07ttygZiN1rofocqo1_400.gifv

This is how I use it and the guy I learned it from. Bill uses it as a way to get his opponent to cover in various ways so that he can land various kicks in full contact or score ridge hands for point fighting.

When I come to sparring drunk I use it sometimes.

This is how I use it and the guy I learned it from. Bill uses it as a way to get his opponent to cover in various ways so that he can land various kicks in full contact or score ridge hands for point fighting.

I never used it in sparring, or any of my fights, that being said I dont discredit the technique, im sure it is and can be effective, I just never found much use for it myself. The only "weird" jab I would use when fighting is the shovel jab or flick jab, bill wallace jab is simiar to a flick jab in a way.

Back