Is there any hope for Andrei Arlovski?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Kyojiro, Apr 14, 2019 at 7:30 PM.

1. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

So, Andrei Arlovski says he wants to keep fighting another four or five years. I'm a big fan, but I don't think that's a good idea, neither for his health or his legacy. He has said that he doesn't give a shit about his win-loss record, which already isn't exactly the greatest, and I suppose it never was. Lately, he hasn't been fighting like he has in the past, he's playing it safe. He says he still wants to get a title, but he'll never get there doing what he's doing now, but on the other hand, I don't want to see him get knocked the fuck out either. He's 40 years old and there's few fighters who have taken as much punishment as he has.

I'm hoping in his upcoming fight he could show us some life, but I think the best thing for him is to retire. Guy doesn't have anything left to prove, he's already a legend, and he's not exactly starving for cash either. Not many people can say they've been fighting for 20 years and still at such a high level. His career started in 1999, and he's still here. That's pretty insane. Unless he wins his next three or four fights or however many he has left, I doubt the UFC would want to keep him around. I do think he might have one more comeback left in him, but frankly, I'm not sure it's worth it. He's certainly crazy enough to try it. He doesn't need the money. Thing is, I think he's been doing this so long that he just can't imagine doing anything else. Right now he's a shadow of himself, losing decisions to nobodys, and if the same thing happens with Augusto Sakai it's gonna start getting unbearable.

I guess we'll see what happens on the 27th . . .

2. Twink182

Twink182 All the....small things Platinum Member

it gets to a point with some of these guys where they've been doing it so long, and they're long past that "avoiding the CTE" thing. Shogun, Arlovski and some others. At this point I just kind of accept that they are going to do it on their own terms, and eventually at some point they'll retire. I don't really think its about the fans or the legacy. Its just about doing what they love. And for being pioneers of the sport, I'm ok with them going out the way that they would like to.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 7:52 PM
  3. Klaavical

Klaavical Brown Belt

Arlovski's best days were 10 years ago

4. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

Wow really long thread for no reason

I could have given you a “no” answer without the need for Arlovski’s life story

He is too old and weathered

Can Michael Strahan make a comeback in the NFL??

5. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

I'm a wordy person. I like explaining myself.

6. blaseblah

blaseblah Gold Belt

He's still capable of beating bottom barrell UFC heavyweights in boring decisions but I'm not particularly interested in watching.

Gambit MMA, GuanoApes, ZxxRnn and 2 others like this.
  7. Rockapotomuss

Rockapotomuss Woke Based Poster

Yes he can. He is sharp and capable of beating anyone.

Kenny Powerth, Kyojiro and tasticles like this.
  8. Sapp

Sapp Silver Belt

I'm a huge fan of Andrei and I've been happy to see that he hasn't been taking all that much damage recently. I don't think he'll still be in the UFC in four to five years time, I'd imagine he'll retire when the UFC says enough.

Kyojiro likes this.
  9. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

Hell if I know. I hate football.

GuanoApes likes this.
  10. tasticles

tasticles Red Belt

I don't think its easy for these kids to understand that if you've been doing something you love for almost 20 years and suddenly someone says, hey you should quit old man, it's not going to change your mind easily. Maybe if you're taking a flogging every time (Ken Shamrock) but most of these guys are still competitive.

LazyViking, BADBOYKILLA and Twink182 like this.
  11. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

I'm aware of this. You could have said the same thing about Couture when he beat up Tim Sylvia

12. PicoPulse

PicoPulse Green Belt

Idk how he came back at all literally breathing his direction was flooring him

13. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

I can certainly respect that.

LazyViking and Twink182 like this.
  14. true_fan

true_fan Black Belt

He can be the best if he implants a steel chin

15. GearSolidMetal

GearSolidMetal I'm here to chew bubblegum and bang your mom. Platinum Member

10 years ago, he just got KTFOed by Fedor and was about to get KTFOed again by Brett Rogers.

Klaavical likes this.
  16. Rorschachxx

Rorschachxx Orange Belt

I've been saying for his last 15 fights he should retire. Somehow he puts a winning streak together from time to time. This time around though I think its enough. Just looking at his nose hurts watching.

17. Twink182

Twink182 All the....small things Platinum Member

Yeah I mean, I think we've reached a point where many fans have an attitude of "if your not a champ, and you were at some point you should retire". I don't think there's anything wrong with the shoguns and Anderson Silvas of the world that still fill a stadium and enjoy their career. Theres no way they'll ever be champ again, but they can still put on a show and compete with many capable fighters.

Anaconda99 and LazyViking like this.
  18. Kyojiro

Kyojiro Orange Belt

Or Mark Kerr, or Penn. True, he's not getting smoked.

LazyViking and tasticles like this.
  19. KeepItRealist

KeepItRealist Red Belt

If only he had the chin he appears to have now. Never seen a fighter's chin improve over the years except for Arlovski.

LazyViking likes this.
  20. Klaavical

Klaavical Brown Belt

I guess 15

GearSolidMetal likes this.