is there any good way to breathe in a choke?

hockeyfacekilla**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried holding my breathe and it seemes to work best, but I would still like to hear your opinions.

What a blood choke? No way to hold your breath through that since it cuts of the blood to your brain..

If its an air choke its posible to tough it out for a while but they are where uncomftable to take and there are some unecesary danger that you happen to get your windpipe crushed..

You don't breathe when choked. It's impossible.

However if you are talking about gutting it out while escaping chokes, breathe through your nose, tense your jaw and keep your chin to your chest.

Breathing isn't your problem. Getting blood to your brain is. I can hold my breath for like 2 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot stay conscious for 2 minutes without fresh blood to my brain and/or my vagus nerve.

Stoic1 said:
Breathing isn't your problem. Getting blood to your brain is. I can hold my breath for like 2 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot stay conscious for 2 minutes without fresh blood to my brain and/or my vagus nerve.

x2, a good choke is essentially cutting off the bloodflow not cutting off air supply.

Does anyone else feel like they are underwater in the deep end of the pool while being blood choked? It is actually a strange euphoric feeling afterward... although I don't want to be choked at all of course!

You could try breathing out your ass...but do it quietly. if your opponent finds out, he might plug your blow hole.

bacon said:
You could try breathing out your ass...but do it quietly. if your opponent finds out, he might plug your blow hole.

hey man, this isn't prison! :eek:

Ya if you're talking about people putting pressure on your wind pipe i usually try to get out of that situation asap when just rolling even if it puts me in a bad position, not worth the many things that could go wrong just to try to get a good position.

holding your breath? in a choke? it's like extending your arm to defend the armbar..gets you no where fast. IMHO.

How is holding your breath a defense against someone trying to stop your breathing?

Yeah.. by tapping out. Works all the time.

hockeyfacekilla said:
I tried holding my breathe and it seemes to work best, but I would still like to hear your opinions.

What are ya', a comedian or something? Wise guy.

Stoic1 said:
I can hold my breath for like 2 minutes. Unfortunately I cannot stay conscious for 2 minutes without fresh blood to my brain and/or my vagus nerve.

Holding your breath for 2 minutes works if you are static or relaxing, but during a hard role, you will not even be able to hold your breath for even 20 seconds. Acutally people passout with a regular air choke in 10 seconds during a hard roll, and about the same for a blood choke. So it doesnt really matter which one is sunken in.
The only advantage to holding your breath is not giving the opponent the satisfaction of thinking he did the damage!!! It was self inflected, which takes away from the assailant's ego. Its like a Palastian destryoing his own house before a jew gets to it with his bulldozer.

hockeyfacekilla said:

Never try to hold your breath, it's bad for you. Even if you manage to get out of the choke attempt after holding your breath you will be too out of it to defend anything else that he throws at you. It will also leave you too weak. I agree with the guys here that you should try and breathe normally through your nose and try to get your chin down. If you can't then you just have to tap out and restart.

ANother good point is that if the choke is applied properly then holding your breath won't matter cuz it cuts off the blood not air so holding your breath will not matter. It will just make matters worse because you're out of blood and out of air... double whammie.

how would holding your breath help you i mean you'll still be in a choke just delaying the inevitable ... i think the best thing to do is not get caught in the choke to begin with but i guess you are refering to a choke thats not completely sunk in or not applied properly in that case breathing out of your nose does help a bit and try to tuck your chin in as fast as you can

hockeyfacekilla said:

Are you holding your nose, too? Try that! And don't worry, that tingling feeling means you're doing it right.

You have two choices:

1. Tap out

2. After 8-10 seconds, he'll let go, cause you won't be awake.

The only thing you can do is try and clear your airway, or trying to get the pressure of your arteries, cause that's the only thing you can do. Other than that, you're done for.

Back