Is there any fighter ever below 147 that could beat prime Duran?

s1ncity

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Prime Duran at 135 is widely considered the most invincible fighter ever

So is there any sub welter that could beat him? I don't think so

Maybe a prime SRR at 140 would have the best chance but he would still get KTFO eventually

Beau Jack would DESTROY Roberto

Jk idk

Pernell Whitaker would have been a nightmare for Duran.

Maybe a prime SRR at 140 would have the best chance but he would still get KTFO eventually

What makes you think prime Robinson gets knocked the fuck out? Who ever did that to him?

What makes you think prime Robinson gets knocked the fuck out? Who ever did that to him?
Robinson was a big lightweight when he was down there...

I could picture Ray giving Duran all sorts of trouble

There are a few that could beat him in the same way that the very best can beat the very best on any given night, but not many you would favour over him.

Duran has a good chance of beating anyone. Great fighter

sweet pea, mayweather if he fights right could give him a lot of headaches, hector camacho on his best night could give him a handful. Duran didn't have the patience for dealing with boxers, like a lot of high strung guys like hagler, they get pissed off when someone is dancing around and it can hurt them. You can't force an opponent to fight your fight if they don't want to, you just have to use skills.

Robinson was a big lightweight when he was down there...

I could picture Ray giving Duran all sorts of trouble
ya, ray, people totally forget ray was a lightweight as a young pro. Delahoya would also be an interesting fight at 135, many fighters on their very best nights would be competitive, what was duran's best night? the 1st leonard fight? one of the dejesus fights?

ya, ray, people totally forget ray was a lightweight as a young pro. Delahoya would also be an interesting fight at 135, many fighters on their very best nights would be competitive, what was duran's best night? the 1st leonard fight? one of the dejesus fights?
Hard to say with srr at lightweight...i can't find much on him at that weight as far as high level fights unless im glossing over something. He might have been too young and inexperienced to deal with Duran.

As far as Duran it'd probably be beating Leonard. Leonard was untouchable in that moment and it was quite the upset to many people. That's one of the "best wins" in boxing history i think

Hard to say with srr at lightweight...i can't find much on him at that weight as far as high level fights unless im glossing over something. He might have been too young and inexperienced to deal with Duran.

As far as Duran it'd probably be beating Leonard. Leonard was untouchable in that moment and it was quite the upset to many people. That's one of the "best wins" in boxing history i think
Ray was a champion from the moment he entered the sport, not a natural per se but a winner. His own manager was always trying to talk him down, didn't even want him to fight. Didn't want him taking fights like fritzie Zivic and later on, didn't think he could make a comeback in the fifties. Took a lot for him to do that, essentially alone. I'm not sure what weight he beat an over the hill Armstrong at, i'll check, but even then he sounds like he was smart enough to change up tactics and box. I've read differing accounts on the robinson/armstrong fight. Ray says or hints rather, that he held back to keep from knocking his old hero out, armstrong says he caught him good once and Ray ran for his life the rest of the way. Also, don't know how long he was a lightweight, i'll check, or how long he could have stayed there. What we do know is that Ray had to wait a long time to get a shot at the welterweight title, five years to be exact, so, he was getting up in age and had lost a chunk of time being avoided.

i just checked, ya, he probably couldn't have stayed at lightweight, he fought there at 20 and left around that time.

Hell, even frankie randall on the night he beat chavez would have been a great fight. Take guys on their best nights not on all the nights they quit, or were hooked on drugs or whatever it is that makes fighters go off the rails, taking fighters on their very best nights, at the very best periods really makes judging things kinda tricky. legacies aren't built on one night alone though so a Frankie Randall or a Meldrick Taylor really loses a lot because they couldn't sustain. That's another strength in itself, staying power, in a sport like boxing where it's no guarantee you can even spar without getting injured, staying power is one of the most important things for the sport. Ali and Frazier were really never the same after the first fight, Frazier never really won another big fight Ali did a little better because he didn't take as much punishment in most of his fights.

What about Chavez sr vs Duran ?
both great chins, duran has to rate higher in that area I think, different types of fighters, duran wasn't as heavyhanded, had much better hand and footspeed. so, too versatile for chavez who wouldn't outpoint him and wouldn't knock him out. Duran could box much better and was probably more intelligent although chavez is smart.

Yeah Floyd and Pernell style wise would be tough

I can see Duran vs Floyd going different ways, depending on both guys tactics and attitudes. If Castillo could get to Floyd then so could Duran, but that supposes he stays focused. It’s an interesting matchup.

Pernell is also a tough matchup, maybe tougher, but he has to keep a decent output to avoid dropping unnecessary rounds.

I remember watching Pernell's pro debut, thinking, "how is anyone ever gonna beat this guy?". That sentiment pretty much never changed. I didn't see the Ramirez fight at the time but looking at it today, it was fairly close, hardly the robbery I'd always heard it was and although I thought he clearly won the Chavez fight, I didn't think that was as lopsided as they said at the time either. Pernell really shouldn't have been defeated until the drugs totally derailed him, which is an impressive thing in itself, how did he maintain when no one does on cocaine? Emmanuel Steward once said that Frankie Randall would beat Chavez because he could do the things whitaker could but was "mentally tougher" . I don't know what stewart saw that made him say that but I always thought Pernell was a vicious, mean guy, basically a brawler stuck in a boxers body. Buddy McGirt also gave him credit for being a great body puncher, which not many slicksters are.

Back