Is there any chance that DC is arrogant enough...

iboufring**

Green Belt
Reaction score
To not train off of his back? The guy obviously has a huge belief in his wrestling, which he should.

But we've seen it before, some wrestlers just dont feel the need to train their guard or off their back because they are so used to be on top (Kosheck vs GSP 1 for example)

This is not just about DC, its about Great wrestlers in mma in general. What do you think of this?

He'll train to scramble back to his feet as fast as possible (which he no doubt has plenty of practice doing in an MMA context considering he spars all the time with Cain).

To not train off of his back? The guy obviously has a huge belief in his wrestling, which he should.

But we've seen it before, some wrestlers just dont feel the need to train their guard or off their back because they are so used to be on top (Kosheck vs GSP 1 for example)

This is not just about DC, its about Great wrestlers in mma in general. What do you think of this?

I think the days of wrestlers being turtles on their backs is over. Granted, some really elite wrestlers aren't going to spend considerable time working off their backs, but I can't recall in recent history a wrestler being put on their back and being totally useless because they didn't train there. Even the GSP-Kos 1 example, Kos pretty much negated all damage off his back better than BJJ fighters did against GSP. It wasn't his lack of training off his back; it was the fact he didn't work his wrestling to improve his striking.

I think the days of wrestlers being turtles on their backs is over. Granted, some really elite wrestlers aren't going to spend considerable time working off their backs, but I can't recall in recent history a wrestler being put on their back and being totally useless because they didn't train there. Even the GSP-Kos 1 example, Kos pretty much negated all damage off his back better than BJJ fighters did against GSP. It wasn't his lack of training off his back; it was the fact he didn't work his wrestling to improve his striking.

Pretty much. The inverse of this thread is just as valid.

That GSP fight was awe inspiring, GSP broke KOS twice. The first fight was exceptional how he out wrestled arguablely one of the best MMA wrestlers ever, beating him at his game.

He'll train to scramble back to his feet as fast as possible (which he no doubt has plenty of practice doing in an MMA context considering he spars all the time with Cain).

i'm sure of this.

I actually feel TS brings up a good point and was wondering the same thing myself. I happen to know a couple fighters who avoid training off their back for this reason. I disagree with this approach but I'm not a pro fighter.

Back