Is there any actual advantage to using a cross check ?

Scrappy145

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
IE crossing your knee over to check a kick such as if he throws a kick to your left leg you check it with your right shin.

Only advantage Ive found is that it sets up your spinning heel kick/side kick/spinning backfist better if you land with your feet crossed, none of which are attacks I use so its useless to me.

In sparring I use it sometimes out of split second reaction not allowing me to use a regular check, i notice i often block with my knee rather then shin, which can result in actually hurting your opponents shins...but still...ive yet to see an advantage to it that will make me consider using it on purpose

I don't use any spinning kicks and the cross check works fine for me. Generally, I'm just quicker with my left/lead lead so it just comes naturally. If I check with my right leg (standard check), I also shoot my lead hand out, and push so i could throw the person off balance also sets up a counter kick, so in some ways the standard check is better. But it is hard to use if you keep most of your weight on you rear leg, which I do when I'm being defensive so cross check is the way to go. Also I always think it's good to vary your defensive to keep you opponents guessing, so use both!

Cross checks are for mids not low kicks. If he's kicking to your lead leg, check with your lead leg. If you bring the rear up and across to block a mid you can step out after the check and throw a powerful lead leg round kick. You can also combine the cross check with a catch setting you up with various countering opportunities. That's pretty advanced stuff tho.

I cross check with my lead leg all the time for the speed advantage it gives me. I don't have to shift my feet or weight, I only change the angle of my blocking motion. The cross-check turns into a really nice side kick (teep), too, if the distance is right.

IE crossing your knee over to check a kick such as if he throws a kick to your left leg you check it with your right shin.

Only advantage Ive found is that it sets up your spinning heel kick/side kick/spinning backfist better if you land with your feet crossed, none of which are attacks I use so its useless to me.

In sparring I use it sometimes out of split second reaction not allowing me to use a regular check, i notice i often block with my knee rather then shin, which can result in actually hurting your opponents shins...but still...ive yet to see an advantage to it that will make me consider using it on purpose

If your often landing with your feet crossed, sounds like you are overextending the cross check, though I could be reading your statement wrong.. The cross check of the rear leg can be used to close the distance from kicking to elbow range quickly with minimal risk of a counter becuase the opponent is already in the middle of an action.

I prefer a side-check kick.

LOL..... been taking Kick Boxing lessons with ole James Toney, eh....

I cross check with my lead leg all the time for the speed advantage it gives me. I don't have to shift my feet or weight, I only change the angle of my blocking motion. The cross-check turns into a really nice side kick (teep), too, if the distance is right.

I have seen and trained with guys who do this and say it gives them a speed advantage, but i don't seem to get that advantage. May just be that I use a wider stance, I guess if you use a more traditional MT stance (closer feet, more square) it could have that advantage? The only real advantage in follow-up speed when using a cross-check that i have found is when advancing on an opponent who is backing out behind his kicks (cross-check used while stepping forward and return kick from opposite leg, now in back)..... the other advantage to cross-checking is that it can be instantly debilitating to your opponent if executed properly, shit hurts like a mofo. Im curious though, how do you feel it provides a speed advantage? Just on the follow up? or only in certain situations? You always make real good post's so id be curious to hear how you feel the speed advantage is gained.

Last edited:
LOL..... been taking Kick Boxing lessons with ole James Toney, eh....

He has the advantage of being the only one who knows what the hell a side check kick is. That'll suprise ole' Randy for sure.

Cross check is technically sound because it lets you block the attack, and then drop your weight forward into your response.

Check > straight right/right hook/low kick/middle kick/etc

If youre a counter striker and youre moving inside your opponent's posture, it can be advantageous.

Other than that...

I've practiced this a bit, too. The side kick can go to the opponents supporting leg while the kicking leg is still in the air. Potential for a lot of damage.

I guess if he fakes a left and comes with a right your leg is still there

If your enough fast..when your leg is up to check de kick, counter strike with your other leg on the head. Im dooing it and it work 9 time on 10. In TKD we call that double bi-chagi

I was taught to check with my lead leg either way.

Back