Is there an affordable e-ink reader for PDF files?

CombatCyborg

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
All I want to do is comfortably read PDFs on a screen that is not backlit. I'm looking into it and this marketplace is garbage. Any device relevant to my interest appears to be a $700+ gizmo that does a million things I don't need. Maybe I'm not appreciating the intricacy of e-ink technology, but it seems a bit steep just to read e-books without straining my eyes against a monitor. Am I shit out of luck?

This is mine. A little heavy, but portable and it does the trick.

6ip5X4rMT.jpg

You mean a book, TS? You see, a book is what we called PDF files when they were printed on paper, and bound together at the seams so you don't lose them all. Think of the paper as the document you want to read, and the binding and cover as all the metadata associated with that document.

My really old kindle displays PDF files. So I'd have to assume the newer ones do as well. They aren't very expensive.

I read books every day, guys. Do I have to put "no autists" in the thread title? Yeesh.

Yeah the standard e-readers have smaller screens that aren't designed to display PDF files. But that's probably what I will have to settle for.

That's what I mean when I say the marketplace is garbage. Anything with a screen larger than 6" costs more than a computer monitor.

The best device for what I want is Sony Digital Paper which is more like a state of the art electronic notepad for lawyers. I just want a big e-ink monitor designed for reading PDF files and nothing else, but apparently that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
This is mine. A little heavy, but portable and it does the trick.

6ip5X4rMT.jpg

I have like 100 of those just on my phone. Please learn to comprehend what the discussion is about before you answer.

I have like 100 of those just on my phone. Please learn to comprehend what the discussion is about before you answer.
Got any of these on your phone?
little-girl-gives-finger.jpg

The most absurd part is that Sony and Onyx don't even have sellers in Canada for their 13" readers. So not only would I have to spend 1000 smackeroos, but I would either have to ship it from Europe in the case of Onyx, or ask permission in the case of Sony.

But I guess it makes sense, because not many people need this technology. It is primarily for lawyers, academics, and other professionals. Case in point, I found this blog called Good E-Reader that is very soon going to release their own device. They have an Indiegogo page and only some 230 people have committed to a purchase. So I guess it makes sense.

I suppose what I'll do is buy a Kindle and see if I can tolerate it. And then save up for the Good E-Reader. It will still cost $700 USD but at least I will be able to purchase one from within North America. And it's a better use of money than video games, anyway. Maybe some day they will create a similar device that is more affordable because it doesn't have all the extra stuff I don't really need.

I shouldn't have made this thread on Sherdog. I just didn't want to make an account on one of those technology blogs because they are a goddamn mess to navigate. And you never know, someone might be lurking around on this forum that has experience. Maybe it will be useful for other people who don't know about this subject.

Cliffs:
-Standard e-ink readers like the Kindle have small screens that aren't suited to read PDF files, but they are cheap and probably good enough
-Tablets are better for displaying PDF because they have larger screens, but they are more expensive (though still affordable) and don't use the e-ink technology that reduces eye strain
-Sony and a company called Onyx have nice big e-readers that are perfect for PDF files, but due to their other professional features they are prohibitively expensive, and inconvenient to obtain
-Basically there is no device that suits my particular needs

All I want to do is comfortably read PDFs on a screen that is not backlit. I'm looking into it and this marketplace is garbage. Any device relevant to my interest appears to be a $700+ gizmo that does a million things I don't need. Maybe I'm not appreciating the intricacy of e-ink technology, but it seems a bit steep just to read e-books without straining my eyes against a monitor. Am I shit out of luck?

I read books every day, guys. Do I have to put "no autists" in the thread title? Yeesh.

Yeah the standard e-readers have smaller screens that aren't designed to display PDF files. But that's probably what I will have to settle for.

That's what I mean when I say the marketplace is garbage. Anything with a screen larger than 6" costs more than a computer monitor.

The best device for what I want is Sony Digital Paper which is more like a state of the art electronic notepad for lawyers. I just want a big e-ink monitor designed for reading PDF files and nothing else, but apparently that doesn't exist.

How big do you want the screen to be?

Here is a list of the largest e-ink readers that are on the consumer market. The 9.7" onyx appears to be reasonably priced (around $350). If you can live with 8", you save quite a bit:
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/large-ebook-readers.html

Back