Is there a video(s) detailing faults with typical workout programs?

Justice 4 All

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Trying to find one so I can show my friend.

He insists that he's doing the optimal programming for strength training, which is the same stuff that you would typically see from a lot of people in the gym (machines, curls, push-ups, etc.). The other day he actually uttered the phrase, "The mirror tells the truth"! I immediately replied, "I look towards my numbers for truth", which was brushed off as irrelevant...

Anyway, as I know he won't be willing to read the many fantastic articles out there addressing the subject, and won't take my word for it (as I have no credentials), I was hoping I could find an articulate professionally made video on the subject.

If anyone knows of one or more, please share. Thanks.

just keep lifting and getting stronger.

Are his goals even strength? If his goal is to look like "the situation", then he is probably fine. If his goals are to get stronger, then he will start asking you for tips when you get so much stronger than him.

edit: alot of people confuse getting stronger with looking like a guido. They really don't care about strength, they just think getting stronger=looking big and ripped.
sitch.png

Last edited:
True. Women generally believe strength is derived from bicep girth, hence men aim to achieve just that...

I always try and illustrate my point with, "Bodybuilding is like fitting your rusty old Ford Focus with a new chasy and a muffler. Strength Training is like sticking a supercharged V8 under the hood."

Trying to find one so I can show my friend.

He insists that he's doing the optimal programming for strength training, which is the same stuff that you would typically see from a lot of people in the gym (machines, curls, push-ups, etc.). The other day he actually uttered the phrase, "The mirror tells the truth"! I immediately replied, "I look towards my numbers for truth", which was brushed off as irrelevant...

Anyway, as I know he won't be willing to read the many fantastic articles out there addressing the subject, and won't take my word for it (as I have no credentials), I was hoping I could find an articulate professionally made video on the subject.

If anyone knows of one or more, please share. Thanks.

To(mis)quote Jim Wendler, you can't fight other people's battles for them. You can only give them the information; if they choose not to heed it, fuck them.

As Brass Balls states, if your friend wants to train like a Bodybuilder - and despite what a lot of Sherdoggers think, that is not the same as being a serial killer and hitman who trains Al Queda terrorists - then fine, his routine will take him where he wants to go.

And if he really wants to get stronger, he will eventually figure out that since you are blowing him away on all the major Lifts, he's doing something wrong and should ask your advice.

Bottom line: concentrate on your own training and leave your friend to embrace the Dark Side of the Force without dragging you down as well.

Last edited:
Bottom line: concentrate on your own training and leave your friend to embrace the Dark Side of the Force without dragging you down as well.

I will I will, don't worry, it's not like I'm thinking of jumping ship.

I guess what it boils down to, is that there are very few people I know (or am willing to spend extended periods of time with) who are interested in consistently lifting weights. So I'm trying to turn him over to the "right" side, and get a training partner... :p

True. Women generally believe strength is derived from bicep girth, hence men aim to achieve just that...

I always try and illustrate my point with, "Bodybuilding is like fitting your rusty old Ford Focus with a new chasy and a muffler. Strength Training is like sticking a supercharged V8 under the hood."

It is possible to have one's cake and eat it, so to speak; Westside for Skinny Bastards and 5/3/1 include higher-Rep assistance exercises. Although their primary function is, as the name suggests, to help build Bench, Squat etc, they have the rather nice side effect of building muscle as well.:icon_chee

It's a very simplistic analogy.

I was simply trying to point out that improving one's physique/appearance AND developing Strength are NOT mutually exclusive. In spite of what "fundamentalists" in both Bodybuilding and Powerlifting/Oly Lifting/Strongman think.

You only have to look at the numbers of guys like Stan Efferding etc to see that the two goals can co-exist and even compliment one another.

First off, the word is "chassis".

And second, a Focus doesn't have a chassis, per say, as it is of unibody construction.

Gosh what I would do to get the idea that looking good doesn't mean your stronger through some people's head the world would be a better place. I'm on the same page, so many people do these cookie-cutter routines expecting to look ripped, stronger, and fantastic, but they do not realize you must work your routine into your specific goals to achieve each one effectively.

Back