Is there a solution to the problem of Holding Someone against the cage to win?

Solution.. Learn to not let somebody hold you on the cage.

Maybe learn NOT to be held and controlled against the cage.

You wouldn't say, is there a way for a striker not to punch me all the time?

It should be a neutral position. Holding against the cage without attempting to do damage is blatant stalling. If the aggressor was actually succeeding in imposing his will, the defender would be on the ground.

How is it neutral when one fighter is being forced into a controlled position by his opponent against his will? It’s boring but it’s control any way you slice it

Yes. Make contact with the cage illegal. The cage is to define the fighting area and to contain the fight. Just like in other martial arts like wrestling and judo, if you go out of bounds, the ref stops you .

Solution:

Apply the judging criteria correctly.

"Octagon Control" should only be considered AT ALL if the striking and grappling (and agression I believe) are absolutely 100% even and any advantage whatsoever could not be assessed even if that advantage is only a single technique.

So basically once a feint or strike has been thrown, barring some mirror match impossibility, then octagon control should not be scored. At all.

Octagon control should only count if both fighters decide to fight as though is was a sumo match where they used literally no techniques other than to push each other towards the fence (no TDs no wrist control, no feints, no strikes no slaps, no underhooks no overhooks, because any of those things would supercede octagon control)

Last edited:
Yes. Make contact with the cage illegal. The cage is to define the fighting area and to contain the fight. Just like in other martial arts like wrestling and judo, if you go out of bounds, the ref stops you .
Electrify the fence!

No joke they were discussing shit like this for UFC 1. They wanted a moat around the fighting area with gators.

easy.

pressure your opponent and don't let your back get to the cage. the only guys i see getting stuck there are dudes who are scared to grapple... they keep backing up to maintain space.

i would like to see refs get guys off the fence quicker though. 15-20 seconds of not advancing your position... put them back in the center.

You are looking at this with striking perspective only.

From wrestling perspective, if you throw your opponent outside of the limited area of wrestling, you get a point, it's the same in Sumo iirc.

In MMA, you don't even get a point for doing that, despite being it ''Mix Martial Arts'', which includes wrestling, not only striking, so if they said if you throw your opponent outside of the cage you would get a point, then wrestlers would be even more dominant in MMA but they don't want that.

If they fight for putting someone in some location that the other fighter doesn't want to be, then that's imposing your will, imagine there is a jail, and I am single handedly carrying a guy on my own, pushing him through to that jail, and putting him there all by myself and then I am getting out from that jail, locking the guy and leave.

That's how you dominate someone, you don't need to hit someone's chin or behind his ear to KO him always, you can dominate via wrestling too.

It's the Ultimate Fighting Championship not the Ultimate Restraining Championship. Holding someone against a cage and not doing anything with it isn't really fighting.

Make everything into a fence. The floor, the gloves, WME...

It should be a neutral position. Holding against the cage without attempting to do damage is blatant stalling. If the aggressor was actually succeeding in imposing his will, the defender would be on the ground.
Ah.... so your solution is refining the judging criteria so the fighter doesn't get rewarded for that strategy on the cards unless there's other, more substantial results from it. That's actually pretty good.

Hungry grizzly bears on the other side of the cage. Hey have really long claws and teeth.

Plus they're good in an upright position, otherwise, it would have been tigers, like in Gladiator.

Oh wait, that wouldn't actually punish the source of the problem. Oh well, as long as there's blood.....

Fill all the cage holes with tennis balls.
This gave me an idea: Instead of tennis balls, extremely smelly socks. I'm pretty sure the fighters will do their best to remain in the center.

Maybe learn NOT to be held and controlled against the cage.

You wouldn't say, is there a way for a striker not to punch me all the time?

Can you imagine if the complainers were actually consistent? "Is there a solution for Moutinho getting punched in the head nonstop by O'Malley?"

Back