1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Is there a rhyme or reason to when fights get announced?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Mcnugget, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Mcnugget Purple Belt

The LW and WW division is fun as shit right now with tons of good matchups that make sense. Rivalries storylines. Is there any rhyme or reason to how they sort this all out?

As a fan I would have much more fun with the sport if this stuff was easier to track.

like can’t you have a p4p rankings AND a q score ranking?(a q score is hwo well the public knows you).

The benefit of that would be transparency. So a fighter like let’s say gaethje would go ok I’m ranked 4 in fighting but 11 in name recognition. Let me get to work here on some sponsors and shit. Viral marketing.

kind of give fans a big picture feel of the direction of the divisions .

2. Satan's Daddy. Black Belt Platinum Member

The matchmakers hold their private conference sessions in the cafe room and debate how and who they want in their specific tournaments

3. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Oh Jesus I’m sure that would go over just great

4. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

Sean shelby approves.

For real though it's basically what they are told in the back.

"You dont get this fight because you dont move the needle".

You are describing the exact business practice Dana employs bud.

5. Fight Professor Gold Belt

It happens after Dana approves the fight and fighters stop acting like divas being unhappy about the contract they had signed.

6. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

Read below. Then think about it

7. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

Right but they sign rebook and USADA so that they can “legitamize” mma. So why are they going to publicly admit to matchmaking that has nothing to do with who earned what fight, and everything to do with “who makes us money”. Even if we all KNOW it’s true. They would never come out and say that

8. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

Yes, here is the rhyme and the reason.

[​IMG]

9. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

Thay kinda dont have to. Aldo, yoel, hendo, and so on and so forth. It's been a story as old as time.

10. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

But how many casual fans that only watch on ESPN know about it? And how many of them would be turned off when Stephen A Smith pulls up two rankings lists and explains that the best contender has been sitting there for years at rank 1 because he doesn’t sell? As an uneducated fan I’d call it a WWE knockoff. I’d be turned off.

for the fans who do know all the inner workings of the UFC, we already know who’s worth what. You don’t need to give me a list, I’ll make it for you. So it seems counter intuitive, and again, it just goes against the grain of what they are trying to accomplish. Which is people to talk about this like it’s a legitimate sport.

11. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

Nope.

When fighters got paid less and there were only 4-8 events a year, it made a lot of sense for the UFC to give fighters plenty of input into who they fight next.

15 years later, it's starting to feel like an outdated model. Every fight has an agent looking out for their best interest, a win-win-win situation. Which I applaud, from the fighter's perspective, especially considering the UFC will bend them over and work them dry if they don't have an agent looking out for their best interest.

However, it sure makes it hard to find fights that all 3 parties consider a win-win-win.

12. Wizzlebiz Wizzlebiz is the Wizziest

I can't really argue with that tbh. However one could argue the casual fan wouldn't ever try to understand why who is fighting who as they only care for the name value fighters.

Because for the casual that's what makes them tune in. Right?

13. FrontNakedChoke ____________________

Nop

14. RiotWyatt Black Belt

It's too chaotic nowadays, with all the events they hold. Back in the day, when there was less, fights would be announced with around 3-4 months of promotion.

They also promoted the whole main card too. Nowadays, it's starting to become like boxing where it's all about the main event and sometimes a co-main.

PRIDE, sometimes, didn't announce fights until a couple of weeks out. I didn't understand their process unless it was part of one of their tournaments.

15. DarkneT Khamzat sucks Platinum Member

Usually when Dana is trying to put pressure on someone to sign a contract

16. VVarhead Banned Banned

MMA is a legitimate sport. UFC is not a legitimate sports league, and I'm not even sure they're still trying to be.

17. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

How often does that actually happen, really? (And BTW, this is about to segue (devolve?) into a whole different conversation, because there's no other way. Sorry in advance.)

You cannot talk about #1 v #2 without also talking about rematches. And you know what? Fans don't like rematches! The more immediate, the more they hate it. Not all fans...just most.

So review the officially unofficial rankings, 6 of the 8 men's division cannot fix one problem (e.g. #1 v #2 always) without causing another (e.g. fans hate immediate rematches).

HW: Stipe v DC
    LHW: Jones v Santos*
    MW: Israel v Whittaker*
    WW: Usman v Woodley
    FW: Volk v Max
    BW: Cejudo v Moraes
    *caveat: ignore for now the fact that these 2 guys are not fighting any time soon. That n/a to the argument I'm making
    Then take into account injuries. Then scheduling. And after taking into account that fans don't like rematches, injuries, scheduling problems etc, I ask again...

...how often does "the best contender has been sitting there for years at rank 1 because he doesn’t sell?" actually happen? I mean shit, has it even happened once since GSP v Fitch?!?

My guess is, when you dig in, you'll find it happens a lot less often than you think.

Just food for thought :) And please note, I am not proposing one solution over the other. More just pointing out something we all already know; you cannot please all the people all of the time. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  18. Mcnugget Purple Belt

They already reward stars with undeserving fights! Fuck it!

19. Mcnugget Purple Belt

I wouldn’t say “nothing “.

If two fighters are equal caliber (ish) and ken is a stud who does extra interviews and podcasts and shit to sell the fight he deserves the nod.
    For example:

imo gaethje deserves a title shot before Conor does. Bc the rankings shouldn’t be close. Conor hasn’t fought enough.
    But let’s say it WAS close. Like you had masvidal and usman and Conor all ready to fight. Well I think you let Conor and masvidal fight. Reward them
    For being good promoters. And the winner gets to have usman. So basically Conor and masvidal get two paydays.

20. Mcnugget Purple Belt

wouldn’t it be fun to have some guy ranked last in public rating. It only enhances the potential for a charismatic star to shit talk the boring fighter