Is there a revolution in CPU power coming soon?

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sometimes it feels like there is, but then again some people say cpu power is almost tapped out

What do you guys think?

It's the only way we're gonna be able to decipher the real meaning of @Clippy 's messages

It's the only way we're gonna be able to decipher the real meaning of @Clippy 's messages

deepthoughtcomputer-619-386.png

Traditional cpu’s are almost tapped out. Moore’s Law is reaching its end due to the laws of physics.

Quantum computing could do it, although I think it's still largely theoretical at this point.

But computer scientists seem to think it's possible, so I'd say it's likely to happen eventually.

Why is this here?
Should this not be in the gaming forum where computers are talked daily?

But to answer your question no, in the last couple years there has been significant milestones passed again.

Amd has gotten competitive again and forced intel to get off their asses.

Amd just released the threadripper 2 series, 32 core , 64 threaded beast of a damn cpu the wx 2990.

As far as single core speeds , yeah it takes a lot to get over 4.0 effective for 5ghz and up to 6 now they are liquid nitrogen cooling over locks in competition, but you aren’t doing that shit all day running

So if you just mean power, no , no where near it.

But process speed yes the effective limit has been reached until some new tech comes out that’s different from what they do now.

From a recent article, they're still not close to making a CPU that is immune to the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities.

If they figure out how to use photons instead of electrons they can increase the speed by 20x, as photons are 20x faster than electrons in a chip

I invented a dark matter CPU that has already computed the end of the multiverse

KEEP IT DOWN!

(We unite and march at dawn. DOWN THE WHIGs/UP THE WYSIWYGs!)

Back