Is there a name for.... mount escape...

What if your opponent goes to technical mount? I just don't see this working.

If someone had really high mount on me I'd try to force him back down first and try the leg scoop if that didn't work.

Take a look at any of the famous matches referenced earlier in this thread to see it working. I am also going to post a video of it working for one of my teammates years ago.

Here is the video demonstrating it and showing the good leg lock opportunity for the guy doing the escape:

This was from 2005 when we were noobs so it's hardly a proof of concept that it works on higher level guys, but the previously mentioned high level examples of it working demonstrate that much better than I ever could.

I don't doubt that in a rare instance that would work, but that is most definitely a noob escape. I've never had anyone but a whitebelt try it on me and that video is the first time I've ever seen it work. Desperation move IMHO.

I love you guys. Shit works on Roger, but it's still a noob escape.

Good luck. If any of you ever get to roll with me, remind me about this conversation so I can hit the escape on you.

Balto's right, it's a totally legitimate escape that is appropriate for a particular scenario--when your opponent has high mount on you.

I've had it done to me a couple times. I can usually stop the escape by doing a kind of "swim" move to clear the legs but I can't remember the last time I had a guy who is really good and persistent at it try it on me. But I also don't usually use a high mount unless I'm going for a mounted triangle, and then once it's locked in I tend to just roll to guard to finish it anyway.

That transition to the ankle lock is cool, I've never seen that. LOL at the opponent who had no clue how to defend the ankle lock and just sat there waiting to tap

I do the same thing, but I end up pushing myself out the backdoor. I call it the monkey roll=)

Here is the video demonstrating it and showing the good leg lock opportunity for the guy doing the escape:

This was from 2005 when we were noobs so it's hardly a proof of concept that it works on higher level guys, but the previously mentioned high level examples of it working demonstrate that much better than I ever could.

I use both my feet. I put them in front of their waist, and exit out between their feet. That was a good basic concept. A better set would be great.

I used to really do it a lot back in 2005 too. Me being mounted or side mounted was more dangerous than my guard at the time, oddly enough.

Balto's right, it's a totally legitimate escape that is appropriate for a particular scenario--when your opponent has high mount on you.

I've had it done to me a couple times. I can usually stop the escape by doing a kind of "swim" move to clear the legs but I can't remember the last time I had a guy who is really good and persistent at it try it on me. But I also don't usually use a high mount unless I'm going for a mounted triangle, and then once it's locked in I tend to just roll to guard to finish it anyway.

That transition to the ankle lock is cool, I've never seen that. LOL at the opponent who had no clue how to defend the ankle lock and just sat there waiting to tap

Yeah the transition was kind of loose on that since they were both so new. The other guy had some chances to get out, but I'm not sure he was familiar with leg locks at all so he just sat there.

Here is another match with a very similar setup to the straight foot lock that is done much cleaner. It is the same guy about a year or so after the first video, so he had a lot more practice by then and his transitions were a lot tighter.

It's at 0:22 of the video.

I use both my feet. I put them in front of their waist, and exit out between their feet. That was a good basic concept. A better set would be great.

I used to really do it a lot back in 2005 too. Me being mounted or side mounted was more dangerous than my guard at the time, oddly enough.

2005 was awesome. Remember when getting your blue belt was like getting licensed as a death machine on the mat? At least people acted like it was back then.

2005 was awesome. Remember when getting your blue belt was like getting licensed as a death machine on the mat? At least people acted like it was back then.

Haha yeah man, those blues seemed so untouchable back then. Halfway to black it seemed. It was a big friggin deal, I remember people going to BJJ.org or whatver and making sure they updated it.

I love you guys. Shit works on Roger, but it's still a noob escape.

Good luck. If any of you ever get to roll with me, remind me about this conversation so I can hit the escape on you.

Do you live near NYC?

When did Einemo pull that on Roger? Was it in the '03 match? Not '07 tho... I just re-watched that one.

Honestly... as the OP described it, I never see that move executed effectively on anyone with a decent mount game. Whenever someone tries this on me, they just get a face full of cup. Posturing forward in high-mount is all it takes and sitting straight up in mount is just asking for a million different reversals, so just pick your poison.

Do you live near NYC?

I live in the DC area.

I found myself in the high mount again during training today, and I remembered this thread. I decided to try the escape and it succeeded. I got out of the mount and attacked with a leg lock immediately.

I live in the DC area.

I found myself in the high mount again during training today, and I remembered this thread. I decided to try the escape and it succeeded. I got out of the mount and attacked with a leg lock immediately.

Haha nice good for you.

Where do you train? When in America I train at Evolve in Gaithersburg.

I like how you grabbed your own foot to help you get all the way over.

Pretty sweet.

I like how you grabbed your own foot to help you get all the way over.

Pretty sweet.

That was my training partner in the video, not me. But yeah he was really good at getting that escape and doing leg locks off of it. He had a very good straight footlock in general and finished a lot of matches with it.

YouTube - Roger Gracie vs. Jon Olav Einemo (3 of 3)

start watching at around 3:45

the op described where the opponent ends up belly down - that doesn't happen to roger, but the concept behind the escape is there and Einemo gets out the back door.

my first instructor taught me this escape - and him having 10+ years of experience, i don't think he would have showed this escape if he thought it wasn't a legit technique.

my current instructor immediately recognized this escape when i tried to do it, and he said, "hey no leg locks today" because he thought i was setting up for a leg lock. and he's been doing bjj even longer than my 1st instructor. again, if this was some fluke move or something he felt i shouldn't be using, he would have said so.

in my eyes, the escape can definitely look sloppy in execution since a scramble is usually involved, but i wouldn't say it's a crappy technique that only works on people less experienced than you.

YouTube - Roger Gracie vs. Jon Olav Einemo (3 of 3)

start watching at around 3:45

the op described where the opponent ends up belly down - that doesn't happen to roger, but the concept behind the escape is there and Einemo gets out the back door.

my first instructor taught me this escape - and him having 10+ years of experience, i don't think he would have showed this escape if he thought it wasn't a legit technique.

my current instructor immediately recognized this escape when i tried to do it, and he said, "hey no leg locks today" because he thought i was setting up for a leg lock. and he's been doing bjj even longer than my 1st instructor. again, if this was some fluke move or something he felt i shouldn't be using, he would have said so.

in my eyes, the escape can definitely look sloppy in execution since a scramble is usually involved, but i wouldn't say it's a crappy technique that only works on people less experienced than you.

It's not the same, tho. He tries to hook him with his legs and fails. Roger, being experienced, saw it coming and avoided it. And that was from a guy that's 6'6.

Kicking your legs up to bump your opponent to get out the back door is still just a back door escape.

You can't do it one way then call it another.

It's not the same, tho. He tries to hook him with his legs and fails. Roger, being experienced, saw it coming and avoided it. And that was from a guy that's 6'6.

Kicking your legs up to bump your opponent to get out the back door is still just a back door escape.

You can't do it one way then call it another.

i did call it a backdoor escape... kicking your legs up to bump your opponent is the concept behind the escape we're talking about right now.

the whole "end up belly down" thing is just a variation of how you could end the escape. as seen in that other video that ends in a leg lock, that's another way the escape can end

Back