Is there a name for.... mount escape...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MMABullrider, Oct 21, 2010.

1. MMABullrider

MMABullrider White Belt

I've been able to hit this move several times in the last few months when I've been mounted...

When I'm mounted, if a guy keeps staying tight when I'm bumping and rolling (upa), if they get worked forward, then posture up/sit up, I'll kick my legs up and hook both legs around his body, usually trapping at least one arm. Then I'll push away with my legs and arch my back. At worst, it's created a scramble which has always left me in side control, but it has also ended me up reverse mounted on a guy's back (spun and took the back with him belly down).

If a guy knows his shit, he won't posture up readily, but the further forward I work guys, the more they have to posture up to work their attacks, which sets them up perfectly.

Is there a name for this technique? It takes me from being inside a mount, to at least a scramble, or to the guys back, and I've never "missed" the move. If it was there, I've hit it. I think it's very unexpected (based on the size of the guys' eyes as my legs rip them off the mount) and it puts them in a weird position, which gives me the advantage to regain control.

The arms seem to make a difference. If I miss both arms, then I had one guy post his hands, stopping on his ass, and I had to break lose and take side control. If I get one arm under and one arm over, I can usually drop the guy onto his back and posture up and take his back. If I get double over, I can either take the back, OR in one case, I got the guy on his hands and knees, and he backed out of my reverse back mount, and instead of spinning to take his back, I just took the D'arce choke as he backed out.

At any rate, is there a name for it? Any blatant holes in the technique that nobody has exploited on me yet? It's pretty unorthodox, so nobody has been ready for it, so maybe there's an easy counter than I'm not seeing that guy's haven't taken advantage of yet?

2. HardEight

HardEight Blue Belt

Back door escape. That's what I have heard it called.
    Nothing really wrong with it, other than the fact I kinda look at it as a last ditch effort escape. I never want the guy to be able to get that high up on me when mounted.
    If he breaks down my defenses enough that he gets that high, I will go for it, because there isn't much left.
    But my main goal is to keep him low on my hips and go for the elbow escape. But that's what works for me, and if this escape works for you you gotta go with what you can do. Just don't leave it as being the only mount escape you get good at.

3. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Its pretty low percentage on decent opponents. Kind of a noob move, although occasionally you see it working at higher levels.

People that have seen it before rarely get caught in it more than once.

4. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

If someone is good the you won't get your legs up there. By the time you reach blue belt you probably won't be using it anymore, trust me.

5. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

This is actually one of my favorite mount escapes. I use it from north/south to take the back too.

I find it just as high percentage as any other mount escape. None of them are particularly high percentage, but that's why mount is a bad position to be in no matter what. It is not supposed to be easy to escape.

The trick is using it at the right time. This escape only works on opponents who are mounted high on you. Against an opponent with a low mount, there is no chance of this working. You need to catch the guy under his armpits when he is high to buck him forward. This will create plenty of space to roll back and do this escape. There is no need to get the legs up there per se because you never try this on a guy with high posture. You need to buck him forward first before you even start with the legs.

6. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

Oh I forgot to answer the name for this move. I call it the ninja roll (same for the north/south variation as well), but we just made that up at CMU Grappling like six years ago or something so it's not really official.

7. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

I always hear it called the gumby escape. I actually think it works much better than people think.

8. BruceLeeMMA

BruceLeeMMA Purple Belt

This is the most important point.

9. bora y

bora y Purple Belt

imo it's a piece of shit escape.
    no offence, but just because something has worked for you a few times, likely against small whitebelts, doesn't make it a useful escape. you will not hit that on someone more experienced than you (and if u can, then they'll get wise fast), and it's even less likely on someone a lot bigger than you.
    you'd be better off just elbow escaping, because that works against everyone if u put enough reps in, and it doesn't risk losing position.

10. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I definitely group this escape in as one of my fun moves that work best on people who don't believe in it.

Once people recognize it as a legitimate move that needs to be feared, it loses some of its power. It's like the ending to Nightmare on Elm Street, except completely in reverse. It still works of course, but not nearly as well as when someone refuses to recognize it and walks into it repeatedly.

The ninja roll escape, the no arm triangle (The Phantom), the one side only cross choke -- those ones will always make me smile because they surprise people so much.

11. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

I have hit this on black belts larger than me more than one time.

12. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

The bridge and shrimp escapes are much more effective against low mounted opponents. Because the opponent's hips are over your own hips, you can use your hips to lift his weight easily (bridge escape) or escape your own hips back to guard (shrimp escape).

However, when the opponent's hips are high up on your chest, the bridge and shrimp escapes are useless. Your hips are much too far away to generate any power. If you bridge up against a high mounted guy, you will not even move him at all since he is not over your hips. Shrimping is futile because you have to shrimp a huge distance. That is where this escape comes in.

The ninja roll escape is good jiu-jitsu because it uses your hips as the primary basis for the escape. Because the guy has climbed up high, he has left your hips free to move easily. You should definitely take advantage of this since your hips are your best asset.

By rolling back and putting your feet in, you get your hips under your opponent's weight which makes him easy to lift. This works great on big guys too; size is not usually an issue here due to the leverage you can get.

Of course, the argument against this escape is that you should never let the opponent establish such a high mount in the first place. I do agree with that. However, by that line of reasoning, you should have never allowed the opponent to mount you at all either (I also agree with that line of thinking). All escapes are inferior techniques only used in the worst case scenarios, but given that you are in this mounted position due to your own mistakes, the ninja roll escape as explained above is a better option than bridging or shrimping given such a high mount.

13. Shemhazai

Shemhazai Black Belt

John Olav Einemo did it flawlessly against Roger Gracie in ADCC.

14. sanchezero

sanchezero Green Belt

^buuuuurrrrrnnnn!

:D

15. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Anderson Silva did it to Travis Lutter, also.

16. afterganger

afterganger Blue Belt

Is there a video of this somewhere? I'm curious how this looks.

17. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

I've also seen many people set up wicked ankle locks and kneebars off of this

Meaning the person who tries this gets his ankle grab and the opponent rolls back and too his side and cranks like a mofo. You may have escaped mount but now you've been subd and can't walk

18. NovaUniaoWesty

NovaUniaoWesty Yellow Belt

What if your opponent goes to technical mount? I just don't see this working.

If someone had really high mount on me I'd try to force him back down first and try the leg scoop if that didn't work.

19. Freezing Winds**

Freezing Winds** Green Belt

this is probably the only escape I have seen from being mounted high.

and if it works against lutter in mma and roger in bjj, then it is legit.

20. Balto

Balto Silver Belt

If anything, the leg lock opportunity is much better for the person doing this escape. In fact, one of the best options is to hit a straight foot lock or heel hook immediately after doing this escape. I find that it is a little difficult to do the leg lock off this without reaping the knee, but if that is allowed in the rules then the leg lock here is very, very good.

I'm actually going to put up an old video on YouTube of this from competition about six years ago to show what I mean for the people curious. I'm the main voice in the background, and my trouble naming the move plus explanation to the surprised guy next to me about how it worked cracked me up.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010