1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

is there a market for a Greco-Roman coach of Olympic caliber?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kyuktooki, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

So here is the story. My uncle-in-law was a Bronze medal winner in Greco-Roman wrestling in the '88 olympics in Seoul. I heard he also won first place twice in whatever the premier international competition for the sport is (I do not pretend to know about Greco sorry). He was the coach for a corporation for a number of years (corporations sponsor wrestling teams in Korea) and a number of the people he coached went on to make the Korean Olympic team. Sounds great but none of his students won medals in the last Olympic games and he was dropped as a coach for the team as a result. He and his wife really want to emigrate to the U.S. and are toying around with the idea of opening a restaurant or some other business in order to make it happen. Do you think there is enough of a market for wrestling coaches in MMA that someone like him could start his own gym or get work at an existing MMA gym in the U.S.?
    It is a weird question, I know... just throwing it out there. I know I'd love to learn wrestling from him but I am certainly not everybody.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. Dono**

Dono** Banned Banned

I'd personally get in touch with a big gym, like Xtreme Couture or Team Quest. He could probably open up his own branch of one of them.

3. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Go to this wrestling forum and post his name and an e-mail address.

A lot of people in the US wrestling community post there.

Maybe he could get a stint in Colorado or with the US Army, Navy, Marines.

USA Wrestling Nation Forum

4. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I'll post there after I finish work today. Any suggestion as to what specific forum I should post in?

5. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

So far there is only one MMA gym in Korea that uses Greco and its owned by a former training partner of my uncle.
    I have noticed that no MMA gym in Korea is particular well rounded in all the useful disciplines so it does not seem like a major stretch that someone like him could open a gym with his experience. The problem is that MMA is still small potatoes in Korea and even the most successful gym owners in Korea that I know just barely scrape by.

6. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Post it in the International since it has the most relevance there as well as COaching and Officiating.

You also want to post in the College section because that gets the most traffic (Like sherdog with the Heavies)

7. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I realize that last comment is off-topic. I guess I was just thinking that opening your own gym without MMA specific experience seems like a less than perfect idea although I have no doubt that there are many MMA gyms in the U.S. where the owners are not experts in every area of the game.

8. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

He could get a job teaching Wrestling at an MMA gym, sure.

And if he has the money, he could open his own, and hire a striking and BJJ coach and be ready to go.

9. BSFT

BSFT Brown Belt

ditto.

where does he want to move to in the states?

10. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I have not heard him specify where he wants to move in the US.
    I'd be wary of him opening up his own gym in a foreign country without any experience and limited English skills even if he did have the cash. Then again, they were thinking of opening a restaurant so maybe they have more than I think.

11. knoxpk

knoxpk Black Belt

A gym would be MUCH cheaper and easier to maintain. Trust me I know, my family has been in the restaurant biz as long as I have been alive, and I am pretty old.

HE can start a grappling/MMA gym with a good striking coach as a partner and a submission discipline and he is good to go. There is a HUGE marekt for adult wrestling, just read these boards from time to time.

12. Dono**

Dono** Banned Banned

Also, just putting the word "Olympic" in reference to the gym will get peoples attention.

13. Kyuktooki

Kyuktooki Blue Belt

I posted on the wrestling nation forum as suggested.

14. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Saw your post.

It might help to poast his name.

If he is an Olympic Medalist they already knoe who he is so might as well get the best publicity you can.

Just so you know Randy Lewis and Mark Schultz post there occasionally.

Also its not just the military there are Greco clubs in the US.

15. skey91***

skey91*** Banned Banned

Also post in the college section. It has the most traffic so people that have connections can see it.