Is there a huge difference betwen protien shakes and meal replacement shakes?

frettish

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In other words, if my goal is to just lose weight and wanted to start taking solid food meals out of my diet, could I just use protien shakes... or would specific meal replacement shakes be better?

Also, for this type of thing, what would be the cheapest/best (in that order) shakes to get?

Years ago I used to use SCANdiet, but I don't believe GNC sells that stuff anymore.

PS - what are some good websites for ordering this kind of stuff along with vitamins and supplements?

ON 100% whey would be my choice because of price and how good it is. I would eat it in oatmeal and skip the meal replacment shake, just used whey in oatmeal. or somother healthy food and the whey.

as for good websites were do you live?

damn i cant find ON around here, anyone on the boards in AUS know where i can get some?

The only difference between MRP's and Protein Shakes is the macronutrient profile: protein shakes tend to be all protein or a division of protein and carbohydrates (often simple carboyhdrates). An MRP is supposed to model your macronutrient intake for the day (or adjust it accordingly, if your whole food meals are off). So MRP's usually include primarily complex carbohydrates, but also protein and usually some "good" fats (i.e. monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, MCT).

Also, protein shakes may use fast or slow acting proteins (fast for pre or post workout, slow for nighttime). MRP's may use a combination, but since you're typically taking MRP's during other times of the day (not right before or after your workout), I think it's best to put in mostly slow acting caseins.

I like to keep my MRP breakdowns pretty close to this:
55-70% Carbohydrates (Maltodextrin)
25-45% Protein (Casein, Egg, Whey)
5-15% Fat (Flax)

CytoSport's Cytogainer seems to be a good product.

Hi, thanks for the responses. I live in the US - Michigan specifically.

Bodybuilding.com has killer prices I keep hearing good results about n-large so i'm copping that.

STILL LIFE said:
Bodybuilding.com has killer prices I keep hearing good results about n-large so i'm copping that.

I started using Cytogainer and switched to N Large b/c of price. I will warn you this.....stay away from the Vanilla flavored shake. It is fookin nasty! Chocolate is much better.

Prolab Lean Mass Complex is good. 40/40/8 grams of p/c/f. The Cinnamon Oatmeal flavor is the best. The bulk nutrition site is another good place to order from.

Newcastle said:
I started using Cytogainer and switched to N Large b/c of price. I will warn you this.....stay away from the Vanilla flavored shake. It is fookin nasty! Chocolate is much better.

That sucks because Vanilla is one of the only flavors I get MRPs in. I like to add things to them, and aside from not already liking chocolate in general, it's hard to add different things into chocolate to make it taste different day to day.

Edit: Oh, I just looked at those and they were like 600 cal per serving. Mind you my main goal is to lose fat. Lots of it. I am pretty overweight.

frettish said:
Do you know if there is a big taste differnece with the low-carb formula? My experience has been that everything "low carb" taste like dog shit. :icon_sad:

$23 for 27 servings is quite a nice deal though.

well there is a low carb and classic the low carb tastes great read up on forums and you will learn that this is the best tasting MRP shake out right now low carb or classic. Order it you will find yourself ordering plenty more.

MTfighter said:
Grow and Low Carb Grow are by far the best MRP's out there you have to try them, your going to thank me after.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=298E07C34A8A062937E0B5E5BBD3ABC6.hydra?id=459253

Not necessarily, MT. MRP's are designed to replace meals, it's that simple, so if you're diet is already rich in protein, I don't think this MRP would be ideal for you; the protein content far exceeds the carbohydrate content. For guys who have difficulty getting the necessary protein they require from whole foods, this makes sense, because it balances their intake for the day.

That's why I prefer to customize everything. Buying pre-packaged powders limits your control over your diet.

Newcastle said:

N-Large is marketed as a weight gainer but I also love it as an MRP.

I grew accustomed to the vanilla throughout the tub I consumed, but the chocolate is definitely preferable, and the cinnamon is good too.

I keep hearing good results about n-large so i'm copping that.

N-Large is a very good product to supplement with. I'm currently taking that in between meals and 1 right before bed. At first I thought I was going to get fat, but with a hard work-out routine you will build lots of lean muscle.

Back