Is there a 'eureka' type moment?

i've been training for almost 2 years now and i'm just now starting to not only understand why and when to do things, but actually finding success and doing them.

keep training hard and you'll be amazed at the progress.

hmm..strange as it may sound, i had a "eureka" moment yesterday in class. I've been doin BJJ for 3 1/2 months now. There are a few really aggressive guys who are long time white belts or blue belts that i usually dread rolling with. Yesterday, i had to roll with the guy who is known to be ultra aggressive, young, very strong and knows what he's doing.

So i decided, that no matter what, i'm going to completely relax and keep my composure and work on everything that i've learned thus far.

low and behold. he tried to muscle me all over the mat, but whenever he pushed hard, i pulled. whenever he pulled me, i pushed. I was so relaxed and was able to completely negate all his strength. Eventually, i secured a very tight americana while he had me in his half guard. I stayed relaxed but didn't let go of the lock. He became so uncomfortable, that i was able to easily pass his half guard into side control while still maintaining the lock. I stepped over his head and applied the kimura and he tapped.

I was so shocked how much energy i had conserved and how gassed he was.

It was a huge lesson for me!

Back