Is the womens division proof that the UFC is monopolizing MMA?

Theres no telling if it does well or not because it will be on cards with male fighters.

Zuffa will just put it out there until people just accept it.

Look at it getting main event status, and giving ronda the belt.

Actually, the Strikeforce cards featuring Ronda Rousey did much higher numbers than cards without her. Not only did she carry two cards as the main event, but they outperformed other all-male cards by the same promotion.

That's what made Dana stand up and take notice.

And the notion that it has to be an all-female card to prove its validity is ridiculous. This isn't a science experiment, it's a business decision. I'm not a fan of women's MMA, I'm not a fan of men's MMA...I'm a fan of MMA. If Dana adds a women's fight to a card, I don't really care as long as it's a decent fight. And if it's a contest between unknowns, guess where it will end up? On freebie prelims, just like all the other fights between unknowns wind up.

You realize the UFC has done everything by design, right?

They have stacked this card so people who are thinking exactly like you still order the card. They are making it as difficult as possible for the haters to not order.

Also, this card is not "interrupted". It's the last fight on a card with 13 fights. Turn the TV off after fight #12 - you're still getting your money's worth. I don't ever remember a card with 13 fights. 10-12 seems to be the norm for a numbered PPV event. This is essentially a free bonus fight.

This is coming from a guy who isn't interested in the division at all.

Stacked the card? Am I missing something? They only have announced 2 other fights that I know of. Only 1 I would call a real draw. Let's wait for the full card to come out before we start claiming they are stacking the card.

I hope they do stack it though. I would be pleased as punch if they stack cards to compensate for a female headliner. They can put a woman headlining every PPV if it means every other fight on the card will be big names and/or exciting fights.

I've argued since the Bodog days that WMMA should be given a bigger platform and that women can be just as entertaining as men. I think I used the argument that if Hollywood can turn huge profits from movies starring women as action stars, if television can generate tons of stars that are female, then why wouldn't MMA be able to?

I think that once people scrape the idea out of their head that MMA is somehow strictly for men, then the easier it'll be to respect the women for what they're doing and accomplishing. Martial Arts is not just for dudes. This isn't the WNBA, it's more like the Olympics.

The only problem I've had with the whole intergration of the women's 135 division is that it took so long for DW to even give props to female MMA fighters. Gina Carano imo is for sure a bigger name than Rousey, women's MMA was already on the rise thanks to companies like Bodog, Elite XC, and for sure Strikeforce. They had Cyborg murdering everyone like she was the Chuck Liddell of women's MMA (fuck a failed drug test, quite a few men have failed and received ZERO backlash from fans and they've failed more than one!).

The reality is, as daytime soap opera as it sounds, Dana only gave a shit about WMMA when he started getting closer to Ronda Rousey. Taking her to non-MMA events, pretending that all of the sudden Meisha Tate is a warrior when she's fought her heart out countless times in the past. Rousey isn't even a name like Gina and Cyborg, she has the armbar killing everyone which is cool but for me it's just a little disrespectful on DW's part to act like no one cared about WMMA and I honestly don't think he believes people care about it outside of Ronda.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f2/da...fighting-ufc-any-time-soon-506708/index2.html

Past zuffa zombies agreeing with dana that women shouldnt fight in the ufc.

Proof these fuckers just hop on whatever uncle dana says.

Sad really.

I stand up for what i believe.

Im not a blind "patriot"

How many of those detracting posters in that thread are now supporting WMMA in the UFC? You show me, because I'm not going to do your work for you.

And I would watch some WMMA fights over some male MMA fights. I was put to sleep (literally) by Jon Fitch and Jake Shields on two different occasions. I haven't been bored by any of Tate, Rousey or Kaufman's fights.

TS, you're wrong. There is one thing that the UFC does better than any other MMA organization, they know what the fans want to see and buy.

I can't wait for WMMA.

How many of those detracting posters in that thread are now supporting WMMA in the UFC? You show me, because I'm not going to do your work for you.

And I would watch some WMMA fights over some male MMA fights. I was put to sleep (literally) by Jon Fitch and Jake Shields on two different occasions. I haven't been bored by any of Tate, Rousey or Kaufman's fights.

It still seems the main consensus on here is that fans dont care about womens mma.

The ufc just wants to use them to fill more cards and water them down more.

With all the male fighters lining up to fight. Do u think the ufc just suddenly wants to give women a chance? Fuck no, they are used to water the sport down even more.

A perfect example is a womens main even with rousey vs ummm who carmouche? Who the fuck is that.

Is it not insulting you that they put a main event with rousey fighting an absolute nobody???

But somehow you guys still defend it. Smh

Im not a blind "patriot"

You should really consider learning what words actually mean before you use them. So far, you don't understand "patriot" or "monopoly".

"Sexism", on the other hand, you seem to have a firm grasp on.

The main arguments I hear about WMMA are pretty much what GSP has said, that he doesn't like to see women beat each other's ass. I'm sure there are just as many women who feel that way about guys fighting, not to mention the countless people, male and female, who just hate MMA with a passion and see no reason to support "human **** fighting". With that said, I believe that if you can wash away the idea that for some reason WMMA is a bunch of subpar fighters, think again.

You should really consider learning what words actually mean before you use them. So far, you don't understand "patriot" or "monopoly".

lol

It still seems the main consensus on here is that fans dont care about womens mma.

With all the male fighters lining up to fight. Do u think the ufc just suddenly wants to give women a chance? Fuck no, they are used to water the sport down even more.

A perfect example is a womens main even with rousey vs ummm who carmouche? Who the fuck is that.

Is it not insulting you that they put a main event with rousey fighting an absolute nobody???

Carmouche is far from a nobody. She nearly beat then 135 lb champion, Marloes Coenen when she took the fight on short notice and it was a great fight.

But you wouldn't know that since you think WMMA sucks (and/or just plain ignorant.)

People who bash on Dana for bringing Ronda in as a champion, giving her so much marketing, setting her up with a gimmie fight on PPV, etc., all seriously underestimate the power and influence of sports agents when it comes to negotiating big contracts with big promotions.

You seriously think Dana brought Ronda in as a champion and it putting like a million dollars in marketing behind her just because he thinks she is cute?

Fuck no. Her agent secured all of that shit for her with the leverage that Ronda can literally go to ANY promotion, get paid, and sell a big PPV.

Do you really think the UFC is in the business of offering every fighter the best contract for them possible and promoting them out of goodwill? Do you have any idea how a business in America is run?

If Dana could have gotten away with paying Ronda $10,000 for her fight and set her up against Sarah McMann in a fight for the title, he would've fucking done it.

But the last thing that the UFC needs right now is Ronda turning down an offer from them and signing with Bellator. Ronda has that kind of serious fan draw that would get MMA fans to check out a show by ANY promotion she is on.

my problem with Wmma in the UFC is that Zuffa is trying to push the Womans 135 division as legitimate while in reality its nothing but a freakshow where a one trick pony is dominating the few competitors available.

people on these boards like to make fun of the 125 mens division but every single fighter in that division would absolutely crush Rousey, and im not only talking strengthwise but skillwise aswell.

why i think Wmma is a freakshow at this point? lets be honest here, the biggest reason why Rousey is populair is because of her so called good looks. the same reason why Carano was populair a few years back. do people really think women would be in the ufc if Ronda was a ugly chick?? no way. its all about sex appeal im afraid.

only a select few enjoy seeing women compete because of their so called skills, only god knows why :icon_neut

You seem to not understand my comparisons of a blind patriot to a zuffa zombie.

Both are same in that they dont really question what their devoted org/country is that they will just agree with it wholeheartedly without criticism.

my problem with Wmma in the UFC is that Zuffa is trying to push the Womans 135 division as legitimate while in reality its nothing but a freakshow where a one trick pony is dominating the few competitors available.

people on these boards like to make fun of the 125 mens division but every single fighter in that division would absolutely crush Rousey, and im not only talking strengthwise but skillwise aswell.

why i think Wmma is a freakshow at this point? lets be honest here, the biggest reason why Rousey is populair is because of her so called good looks. the same reason why Carano was populair a few years back. do people really think women would be in the ufc if Ronda was a ugly chick?? no way. its all about sex im afraid.

Dana konws what sells best... Sex appeal

only a select few enjoy seeing women compete because of their so called skills, only god knows why :icon_neut

GTFO. Not only would Ronda take the whole 125lbs division, she'd take Dominick Cruz as well.

Just because you don't know who a fighter is doesn't make them a nobody. It just makes you terribly uninformed about a sport you claim to know a lot about.

Carmouche is a Marine and a veteran, with a professional fight record of 7-2, her only losses coming to former Strikeforce champ Sarah Kaufman (15-2) and Marloes Coenen (20-5). She fought the bulk of her pro career in Strikeforce.

Carmouche is far from a nobody. She nearly beat then 135 lb champion, Marloes Coenen when she took the fight on short notice and it was a great fight.

But you wouldn't know that since you think WMMA sucks (and/or just plain ignorant.)

Obviously i didnt know who she is...

And umm im pretty sure nobody talked about her until she was signed to fight rousey.

Back