Is The Wat the obvious choice for Muay thai in Ny

tonyazilla123

White Belt
Reaction score
If im looking to join Muay thai in Ny preferably manhattan because I live in Brooklyn is The Wat the easy choice for gym or is their other places just as good or better

I'd say it goes in the following order: Sitan Gym> 5 Points Academy> Evolution Muay Thai > Borodin's Gym> Renzo Gracie Academy> Chok Sabai> Camp Undefeated

IMO the Wat is a nothing gym. Their selling point is Kru Nurse who supposedly trained a bunch of UFC fighters when in reality he only jumped on their bandwagon after they already became stars (GSP, Frankie Edgar, Rashad, etc.) he's not their trainer, what he does is provide a gym for them to use when they're on the east coast, when UFC has an event in NJ so that he can advertise his gym through them and appear on UFC All Access. Notice when he comes out with a fighter he has a towel with THE WAT in large print and he'll mug for the camera at every chance.

Lastly, there are tons of local muay thai tournament/competitions in the NYC area and the Wat rarely makes an appearance and when they do they usually lose. Google "Take On Productions." They produce most of NYC muay thai events and look at their site, and listing of past events. Pay attention to the schools that compete and look at their win-loss history. You'll see what I'm saying.

Their selling point is Kru Nurse who supposedly trained a bunch of UFC fighters when in reality he only jumped on their bandwagon after they already became stars (GSP, Frankie Edgar, Rashad, etc.) he's not their trainer, what he does is provide a gym for them to use when they're on the east coast, when UFC has an event in NJ so that he can advertise his gym through them and appear on UFC All Access.
This is bullshit.

If im looking to join Muay thai in Ny preferably manhattan because I live in Brooklyn is The Wat the easy choice for gym or is their other places just as good or better

I would check out New York Jiu Jitsu, its NYC's best kept secret but it soon will be out. Coban a Five Time World Champion and legend in the sport is Head Muay Thai instructor, they also have Dave Branch of UFC and Renzo black belt as MMA instructor, as well as two other Renzo black belts for BJJ. There prices are very low for NYC and the facility is awesome, Definitely check them out, what do you have to lose? hope this helps.

I actually took a trial class at Ny Jiu Jitsu i like it but the problem was the price was defintely took expensive. Sitan gym is too far away from me its 2 hour train ride. Fivepoints i also liked but i spoke to other sources and they said The Wat was better and is the top notch gym but Shera your the only person who said The Wat is not a top muay thai gym. But imma look up the competitions and see what you said. I wanna train muay thai as my first discipline to help me in my hopeful future mma career. If that helps you guys give suggestions.

So help should i go to The Wat, Fivepoints Academy or Evolution Muay Thai and sorry Sitan gym is too far and schedule is not good for me so out of those three where should i go.

I actually took a trial class at Ny Jiu Jitsu i like it but the problem was the price was defintely took expensive. Sitan gym is too far away from me its 2 hour train ride. Fivepoints i also liked but i spoke to other sources and they said The Wat was better and is the top notch gym but Shera your the only person who said The Wat is not a top muay thai gym. But imma look up the competitions and see what you said. I wanna train muay thai as my first discipline to help me in my hopeful future mma career. If that helps you guys give suggestions.

Really? I know they are less than the Wat and if MMA is what you eventually want to get into they have a great MMA program as well. They just signed on as head instructor UFC middleweight and renzo gracie black belt Dave Branch, and Coban is their instructor for Muay Thai so that should def help your progress. I'm curious what was the price?

The prices were 175 for only one martial so like if i was only doing muay thai it was 175 and if i did two it was 200 and unlimited classes were 220 . And The Wat was 156 a month for unlimited classes and Fivepoints Academy was 168 a month for unlimited classes. So 175 for once class was too expensive for me even though i liked the place the price was too high for me who is only a hs student lol

The prices were 175 for only one martial so like if i was only doing muay thai it was 175 and if i did two it was 200 and unlimited classes were 220 . And The Wat was 156 a month for unlimited classes and Fivepoints Academy was 168 a month for unlimited classes. So 175 for once class was too expensive for me even though i liked the place the price was too high for me who is only a hs student lol

I understand where ya coming from, damn I wish I started training in High School, you are lucky! Good Luck! Just to be clear NYJJ is 175 for one style but unlimited classes in that style right?

yea thanks man and correct unlimited in that style
Awesome, I thought so just wanted to make sure you were given the right info, Coban def is an incredible teacher and his experience is second to none! I hope you find the right place, good luck and train hard!

thanks man i will

Hey I just thought of something. The guys at NYJJ are very cool and they are the type that don't like to stand in the way of someone who is serious about training if the only obstacle is price. I have a few friends on staff, if your interested I can put in a word and see if they can hook you up. just tryin to help, like I said I wish i started when I was in high school!:icon_lol:

well let me know what can you do private message me if you want and let you know

Is Coban still at NYJJ? I heard he's going to be teaching at Daddis Fight Camps a few days a week. (Daddis already has him listed an instructor)

Tonyazilla: Don't know what the prices are like, but if you're in BK and anywhere near prospect park, you may want to try Ardon's Sweet Science. I've heard good things about them

Is Coban still at NYJJ? I heard he's going to be teaching at Daddis Fight Camps a few days a week. (Daddis already has him listed an instructor)

Tonyazilla: Don't know what the prices are like, but if you're in BK and anywhere near prospect park, you may want to try Ardon's Sweet Science. I've heard good things about them

Thanks alot i emailed the gym to ask a couple of questions im going to defintely see how Ardons is

Back