Is the Volkan fight relevant to the Jones fight?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Never saw that fight but many feel Volkan won, that is not a good look for someone going in against the goat, but how much is that fight relevant to the Jones fight? In Volkan you got a guy with good boxing and movement and HUGE power, some solid kicks and prefers to stand the whole time.

He probably wont be as cautious with Jones because the huge power isnt there, his biggest worry will be kicks and takedowns, just like any opponent he has to figure out how to get inside, santos tried with kicks, cormier tried with inside fighting, lets see what Reyes tries.

but yea how did that Volkan fight go anyway?

Never saw that fight but many feel Volkan won
Here I lost any hope for this thread. Go watch that fight, TS. Just another example of a promising fighter that once he gets in front of Jon he just freezes.

That was Reyes worst performance i've seen ever.

So i guess i will go with "not very relevant"

Volkan is a tank that moves forward with pressure.

jones more of a tactful Fighter

Reyes cardio was tested slowed a bit

Volkan is underrated. And nah, like you pointed out, Volkan and Jones aren't similar stylistically, so the relevance is very limited.

Then again many feel Volkan lost his last fight..lol

It was a very weak performance and Volkan hit him with some basic ass combinations. (pretty sure he threw the right overhand/hook like 4 times in a row and landed it 3 times.)
Reyes didn't hit much besides the leg kicks and occasional shots here and there while Volk would blitz for 30 seconds to a minute and shut down for the rest of the round.

Reyes has a nice step back straight counter but the Volkan fight shows he has a tendency to try and force it.
Reyes needed more tools to keep his range, he seems limited to the kicks and left straight. Teeps and a jab would help.
Reyes used more strength that technique to get back to the feet, which would be his end against Jones.

The fight seemed like an off night though, he looked better against Canonier who has less power than Volkan but he still hits hard and sets up his shots better than Volkan.

In a way , it " might ". I only say this because after that controversial decision, Reyes fought a former middleweight champion that's been on " the regress" and in hindsight- wasnt the greatest decision to ascend to 205 and fight a top fighter in class.

I ,personally, dont like the navigation on how Dominck got here ( the last few fights ).He is 12-0 and has legitimate good wins before hand but........

First of all people talking like Volkan isn’t a dangerous fighter.If that guy touches your chin you can end up with a broken jaw.I remember him putting an opponent out with what it seemed was just a graze.Knowing that who blames Reyes for not performing at his best.You constantly have to be weary of that power.

He pieced Volkan up in rounds 2 & 3. If there had been a 4th & 5th it would have gotten worse for Volkan. Announcers brainwashed ppl into believing Volkan won easily just like the Moraes/Aldo fight.

The same ppl using the Volkan fight as a reason Reyes can't win likely used the same reasoning for Weidman(vs Maia) going into his Silva fight.

It was a close fight. Apparently Reyes broke his nose in the first round.

He showed alot of heart. Volkan is one of the hardest hitters at lhw

Back