Opinion Is the US political system spent?

what prevents State political majority from oppressing the State political minority?

Isn't that what democracy is and what is currently happening?
A democracy means the majority rules and "oppresses" the minority.
The point I am making is pushing for more federalism in a country that's too centralised.
Democracy is no longer working in the United States due to centralisation.

Even if it is there's not much that can be done about it.

You'd need a mandate from the masses to make any structural change and that ain't happening anytime soon.

We are getting closer to a third party on the left. You are seeing some separation between moderates and progressives. The right is far and away from a separation. Trump tested this and it failed as everyone, even moderates, got behind him.

We are getting closer to a third party on the left. You are seeing some separation between moderates and progressives. The right is far and away from a separation. Trump tested this and it failed as everyone, even moderates, got behind him.
I think the moderates only got behind him before he outed himself as a dumb fuck. I'm republican and I thought he could be the answer to the corrupt "system".. he then wasn't able to continue this bubble he created around him that made him look smart... Fire everyone that questioned him, even when wrong. I love watching the train wreck. OUTED
wenDMsv.png

Merkel remains in power because she does a great job and all parties respect her to lead the country, still she isnt above Congress and she can be removed the moment they lose faith.
Germany rarely have an outright winner though. Most of the time its a coalition due to no clear winner.

There is indeed unifying values, but the parties pull at divisions because its electorally expedient to do so.

Opposition against Obama was mainly over Obamacare and deficit spending, which the Republican party continued when they themselves got in power.

In reality parties are closer than they appear but in a bipartisan system the loss of one side is the gain of the other so there is no incentive to work together.
No, there really is no unifying vision or value. The way Trump supporters have been treated for the last 4+ years proves there is no unity left in this country. You either fall in line with the progressive policies, or you get left behind and mercilessly degraded until you kowtow into submission. It is going to be a dangerous world for white people these next four years.

Isn't that what democracy is and what is currently happening?

Yes, that's why i made the thread.

A democracy means the majority rules and "oppresses" the minority.
The point I am making is pushing for more federalism in a country that's too centralised.

That's a direct democracy, representative democracies are different.

Democracy is no longer working in the United States due to centralisation.

If you decentralize the country, you are just making bipartisanship a State level problem.

It was spent in 1776. The sneaky fuckers corrupting the system started from day one, welcome to the compounding effect of hundreds of years of corruption.

No, there really is no unifying vision or value. The way Trump supporters have been treated for the last 4+ years proves there is no unity left in this country. You either fall in line with the progressive policies, or you get left behind and mercilessly degraded until you kowtow into submission. It is going to be a dangerous world for white people these next four years.

Trump supporters are cancer, in the end Trump was just a useful idiot and policy remains relatively the same.

Despite 8 years of bitching about deficits and calling the federal debt an existential, they only grew larger under a Republican controlled government, because overally they have similar economic policy.

Germany rarely have an outright winner though. Most of the time its a coalition due to no clear winner.

Pretty much, which means everyone keeps everyone in check.

Isnt there some sort of proportional representation based on votes obtained? like in Germany.

No. Its still 1st past the post in our federal system.

Trudy made implementing a blended system a core pat of his 1st election platform, but he did not do it. Go figure eh? Thats why I voted for him the 1st time. Will not vote for his Libs again.

I don't think I understand what is being contemplated here. Are we saying the federal government should mandate 3 parties? I get the thinking behind wanting a third or fourth major party, but if we are talking about the system are we changing laws to mandate it? Obviously that won't work.

Speaking of spent, I know I am. I think I need a break from politics. Thank god Biden won and I don't have to hear about that motherfucker every other day.

I don't think I understand what is being contemplated here. Are we saying the federal government should mandate 3 parties? I get the thinking behind wanting a third or fourth major party, but if we are talking about the system are we changing laws to mandate it? Obviously that won't work.

Speaking of spent, I know I am. I think I need a break from politics. Thank god Biden won and I don't have to hear about that motherfucker every other day.

The thing is that the current system where the winner takes all, completely disenfranchises political minorities, and since it disenfranchises political minorities it basically mandates the existence of only two political parties.

There ought to be an electoral and political reform so that political minorities get proper representation in Congress

The US political system is a joke. But the main problem is not just the two party system (which is patently undemocratic). The problem is centralisation of power in Washington for a country that's third largest in the world and where people from one side of the country have totally different needs than the other side.

What the US needs is much more state power (aka more federalism). Each state should be much more independent.
For example if liberals and conservatives were to concentrate in states and create their fiefs, unimpeded by central government, there'd be much less tensions than today.

Since 99% of the problem stem from polarised sides trying to reach central power to derive policies that concern them and alienate half the country. That wouldn't happen with more local democracy.

Exactly. As currently defined, the 14th Amendment and commerce clause give the feds too much power. They should be restricted to handling foreign policy and suits between states. Stay the fuck out of everyone's personal business, health, and finances.

I was against this idea until taking to a Brit last year at an airport.

Not to derail the thread but he mentioned how crappy our political system is compared to China’s. They keep with the same political party and look what happened. They went from a country of mass poverty to being right on the heels of he US.

Would this work in the US? Instead of battling it out with ourselves at every turn while other countries make gains on us?

Exactly. As currently defined, the 14th Amendment and commerce clause give the feds too much power. They should be restricted to handling foreign policy and suits between states. Stay the fuck out of everyone's personal business, health, and finances.
It's not 1700 anymore. The country, and the world, are too interconnected for that. Can you imagine something like COVID with 50 states making their own policies??

Nope. There is only one party the famous Princeton Study proved that. LOL at thinking they diverge on anything of importance or that you have a voice. Only the rabble and dipshits think that.

Back