Is The UFC Trying To Relegate Cormier To The "Legends" Circuit?

Holy shit I took a beating ITT. Fair enough.

I know Sherdog doesn't have the most gentle posters and most of them are generally retarded even if they're correct at the moment, but this guy really knows how to handle being wrong. I want more people like this on the internet.

Beating baristas should guarantee title shots

Jones was relegated to legends and mw circuit before fighting actual competition like Gus and Teixera

Stop the bullshit if anything he's fighting shot, past prime fighters with big names.
That will only build him up, and enable the UFC to promote a title shot for him.
Right now he has no LHW resume he needs some names on there because other guys have better resumes at LHW right now.

I don't think so, I think they are just trying to get the most out of their fading legends as they can before they aren't any good anymore and they want Cormier vs Jones to happen because it's a good match up. I also get the feeling that is why AJ was matched against Lil Nog, it feels like they already have the next 2 title shots lined up after Jones vs Gus with Cormier next and AJ next after him.

I don't see Jones fighting the three of them without losing at least once, they all will give him problems stylistically and have the skill level to back it up.

At first, I thought no. Hell no.

But then I thought about it. Other fighters get title shots gifted to them ALL THE TIME. Gus had what, one top ten win before fighting Jones? Weidman had one before fighting Anderson? Machida loses to some guys who aren't really in the title picture (Rampage, Phil Davis), then drops a weight class and beats Mark Freakin' Munoz and gets a title shot?

Yet Cormier beat Bigfoot (title contender x 2), Barnett, Mir, and Nelson yet has to wait to get a title shot after dropping down a weight class?

I think it's just bad timing, with Gus already being lined up for Jones and whatnot back when Cormier dropped weight, now with Gus vs. Jones 2 being an obvious rematch to compete with, but it does seem kind of funny. Cormier turns 36 next March, and that's an age when a lot of greats show major declines, including Fedor and Anderson. Maybe Dana's trying to buy some time and feed Cormier to Jones after he (Cormier) is on the decline.

I think it's just bad timing, with Gus already being lined up for Jones and whatnot back when Cormier dropped weight, now with Gus vs. Jones 2 being an obvious rematch to compete with, but it does seem kind of funny. Cormier turns 36 next March, and that's an age when a lot of greats show major declines, including Fedor and Anderson. Maybe Dana's trying to buy some time and feed Cormier to Jones after he (Cormier) is on the decline.

Risking further lumps, this is the idea I was kicking around.

Cormier is amazing and the Olympic factor brings 7-11/Wheaties Box appeal. But Jones is potentially the GOAT.

(But which means more $? Cormier could be the next GSP mainstream darling... the mainstream has a lot invested in the Olympics.)

Bizarre tangents aside though, looking at Jones's schedule it makes sense that he's been fighting whom he's been fighting, and that Cormier's getting warmed up for his title shot.

beating well known guys is what is going to build his resume so that he can get hyped for a title shot.

Back