Is The UFC Trying To Relegate Cormier To The "Legends" Circuit?

oyyak

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Edit: Ever been so wrong about something that you couldn't possibly have been more wrong?

Cormier's not young. But he does pose a legit threat to the champ. Himself much younger, more marketable.

Do you think that the UFC is trying to prevent Cormier from getting a title shot in hopes that he'll either get old or lose? Dan seems to think he's getting denied and I think he's on to something...

Given that Jones as champ is potentially the biggest story in MMA to date when it's all said and done, and how much the UFC has invested in him, do you think the UFC is trying to relegate Cormier to showcase / legends fights rather than title contention?

Last edited:
Have you even following Cormier at all? He could have waited for a title shot but he wants to fight.

These "legend" fights are what's going to get him to a title fight. Beat the big names and you take some of their legacy with you.

By giving him an easy fight to almost ensure he fights Jones? Dumb is dumb ...

what the crap is this crap?

then who does he face? let me guess.. some kind of rematch. hammil comes out of retirement. rumble/nog winner?

Holy shit I took a beating ITT. Fair enough.

seems like they want to raise his stock.....even up there in age he is still fresh to the sport and doesnt seem to have lasting fight damage....they give him older vets like mir, Barnett, now one fight from retirement hendo.....

they want dc too look good for a possible title shot.....

just like it seems like they wanted to push Cain for HW champ and promote his brown pride..

I think that Cormier got favorable match-ups throughout his UFC tenure so far - 1) a nearly retired Mir with a propensity to get clinched into a living death by wrestlers; 2) a predictable and plodding cardio-less machine in Nelson, 3) a 4-0 last minute replacement for Rashad, 4) a nearly retired/predictable/plodding cardio-less Hendo. Of course, you could argue that he's fighting whomsoever is available, but there could have been much harder/longer paths to the title shot. Lastly, I think Cormier could have made his case for being a #1 contender (at either HW or LHW) much stronger by showing some sense of urgency/going for the finish in either the Mir or Nelson fights.

No.

Cummins and Handerson are like the two easiest fights for Cormier.

I think that Cormier got favorable match-ups throughout his UFC tenure so far - 1) a nearly retired Mir with a propensity to get clinched into a living death by wrestlers; 2) a predictable and plodding cardio-less machine in Nelson, 3) a 4-0 last minute replacement for Rashad, 4) a nearly retired/predictable/plodding cardio-less Hendo. Of course, you could argue that he's fighting whomsoever is available, but there could have been much harder/longer paths to the title shot. Lastly, I think Cormier could have made his case for being a #1 contender (at either HW or LHW) much stronger by showing some sense of urgency/going for the finish in either the Mir or Nelson fights.

Tbf Mir wasn't regarded as near retirement when the fight was first made for Strikeforce but when I got scrapped it made sense to make it again in the UFC and Mir is dangerous cos he can get you at any time with a sub.. that said it was obvious DC was gonna steamroll him
Nelson I agree with you but you can hardly say he was given a favourable match up against Rashad Evans

Yea couldnt agree more.

The UFC is obviosuly protecting Jones from Cormier by giving him an extremly winnable title eliminator in his second fight in the decision.

:rolleyes:

Back