Is the UFC slowly dying, in a lull, or neither?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by popinjay10, May 22, 2014.

1. popinjay10 White Belt

Honest question. Personally I haven't been this uninterested in MMA for a long while. I am wondering if this just me or the general feeling around? I was a huge fan from about 2000-2012, but lately I'm not feeling it. These are the main reasons I can think of:

- I don't feel there any superstars anymore. Could be wrong since I feel out of touch. There's Jon Jones who I would consider a legit superstar but he isn't even very well liked. Call me a GSP nuthugger but my loss of interest seems to have coinsided with his leave, who IMO was the last real likable superstar Maybe it's just a new era....new generation of fighters and fans?

- the PPV's are too watered down. I used to buy maybe 6-10 PPV a year. Now I don't buy any. Price keeps going up and the quality goes down. There are definitely some great fights between good fighters, but people pay to see big fights between superstars. The cards are so hit or miss it seems that it is not worth the $60 or $65 it costs now. Plus, although I do like Rogan, his commentary just seems to more and more annoying and biased or forced. Almost like he is told to pump Ronda Rousey and others so as to manufacture stars.

- Tired of the UFC, Dana White and fighter treatment. I met Dana White once, and he was a real cool guy and even went out of his way to come over to us after he saw we notice him. I do appreciate his honesty at times as well, but GD the guy is not very likable as a company personality. It gets old how he will throw guys under the bus, even some of the biggest stars of his company when there is no more need for them (see GSP)

That's basically it. Just wondering if that is the general sense of the fans or not? I used to travel to watch an event or two every year (Vegas many many times, Montreal 2X, NJ 2X, Boston, LA, Vancouver) and like I said I would buy 6-10 PPV's a year. Hopefully I get to an event this year or next, but the excitement isn't there for me. Anyways, troll or flame away, or respond truthfully, or not at all.... just wanted to get a general sense

2. Bubson Bubba Purple Belt

3. Jesus Freak Banned Banned

Any market, business, sport, etc. will have its peaks and valleys.

Plain and simple.

Maybe the UFC has already peaked, but it cannot die. It's an awesome sport with hardcore fans and enough casual fans to keep everyone interested for a very long time.

Peaks and valleys.

4. EndlessCritic Gold Belt

"i stopped buying the ppv's and now i don't recognize any of the fighters!"

cause and effect. amazing how that works.

5. King Kong Bundy** Orange Belt

UFC is very stale and most americans have got bored with it. its peak was 2008 and 2009. the ppv numbers prove this. it had its explosion and now its stale

6. Cocakillbana Black Belt

Yep

Each passing year since it's fallen a little bit, at least in North America.

UFC will never get back to what it was in 2009.

7. popinjay10 White Belt

Haha where did you get that quote from? Certainly not me. lol

8. DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

From what I've read from guys in the UK on sherdog, MMA has fallen over there too. Same as Australia.

9. popinjay10 White Belt

Yea you're right. I don't think it will ever completely die, but I don't think it will ever be the mainstream sport that Dana White and UFC want it to be. At least not in his time at the helm, IMO

10. ThaiPlumRillo Brown Belt

11. Jesus Freak Banned Banned

If YOU/I still get excited about upcoming fights, potential superfights, and the future of the sport, PPV buys mean NOTHING!

I could be wrong, but it seems to me like those of us who've been fans since the early days have a much greater appreciation for this sport and a more optimistic attitude towards the future of MMA...regardless of PPV stats!

12. Aussie 084 Orange Belt

Thank you , that is one of the best gifs I've seen.

13. Gervinho Banned Banned

I think its in a lull, I feel like I have lost alot of interest in the UFC. There was a time I knew all the events coming up as soon as they were announced and followed all the interviews and all. Nowadays I usually found out 2-3 days before the event where I see if there is any ufc event. Just yesterday I found out Henderson cormier where fighting this weekend

14. odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

[​IMG]

But seriously, I think it's just in a lull. It may take a while but some fighter will come along and ignite more interest. I would guess that a sport like tennis has seen some peaks and valleys in interest over the years depending on if they have interesting dominant players.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  15. KTMshredsall Green Belt

I bought every ppv from 2003-2012....ive stopped buying them for various reasons but mostly because chuck left...dont get me wrong i love mma and watch every event, im just not enthused about any of the new breed

16. oddjob Brown Belt Platinum Member

It's like a marriage once the honeymoon is over and the endorphins have receded. Doesn't mean you're not still in love.

17. popinjay10 White Belt

Exactly what I mean. There are no more superstars. Lots of great fighters, but Chuck and GSP were the two biggest fighters ever. There hasn't been anybody that can replace the enthusiasm that they drew. Maybe someone will come along soon enough?

18. popinjay10 White Belt

Good comparison. And you're right... I guess we await the next great superstar

19. Bluesbreaker Black Belt

Popularity-wise, it seems to br in a lull. They're shoving too much down our throats.

If you feel disenchanted TS, look for alternatives like Bellator, One FC, Deep, which you'll be able to watch.

20. DezWalker MMA Stats geek

This...

If you look at the numbers, there are as many or more eyeballs watching the shows now. It's just that casual fans are watching less and hardcore fans are watching more. All the while, UFC's PPV numbers have gone down a bit but their huge TV contract more than makes up for that.

We've also got a solid alternative in Bellator that isn't overspending like other UFC competitors did and has a solid loyal audience watching them every week on national TV.

MMA is doing just fine, brother.