Is the UFC more of a sport? Or more of a business?

Lol @ people praising White and co. for making the UFC more like K-1.

I love MMA because it is a full contact competition between two highly skilled competitors using a variety of athletic and technical gifts to achieve victory in a limited combat situation. This includes ground combat.

I really think this sport loses a lot of legitimacy when you crucify grapplers... lol... if you want pure or mostly just striking, GLORY is around, as is boxing. If you discourage grappling from fighters, because they aren't part of the "Just Bleed" Chuck Liddell school of fighters, this sport becomes just as limited as boxing or kickboxing in terms of scope of combat. So I for one prefer MMA where if you cannot block a TD, you get squashed. Maybe more fighters should learn wrestling, actually make it a huge priority and not depend on UFC management to punish their fellow fighters for being better ground fighters.

Seems kind of odd we are bashing Okami when as far as I am concerned lots of his fights have been more exciting than GSP's.

The UFC is a business. profit comes before everything else.

The NBA and other sports do change rules to encourage entertainment. They also don't drop fundamentally sound ballplayers simply because they'll never be the stars of the team.

You don't even get on the team without being elite. Lol at players not being dropped. Teams drop players all the time who can't cut it anymore even sound players. Even veteran players get traded off clubs when they get long in the tooth.

Players are sent to the minors all the time in baseball.

It's a sport run as a business.

The UFC is a brand that wants to feature the best MMA fighters on the planet in their organization. At this point they are the premier MMA organization and at the end of the day they are a business.

UFC is of course a business trying to make money on the sport of MMA.
And UFC is doing well at that and growing the sport.

People bitching about entertainment and not a real sport should try and look into curling..
Yes curling a sport that are a part of the Olympics...
Now how many people in here find curling entertaining? No?
OK... Let me tell you there are today NO pro curling teams and NO pro curlers or what the hell they would be called. People making money on curling does it by side business connected to curling and not by winning matches...
Now thats what happens when a sport is not entertaining....

See to make money and make people be able to be pro you need to get people to feel entertained by watching your sport. If they do they will pay MONEY to watch and by merch.. If they do that you can use the money to PAY your players/fighters money to do their sport.

Back