Is the UFC more of a sport? Or more of a business?

MMALeBronJames

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With the current way the UFC handles its fighters, how will it ever be able to compete with major sports like football, American football, or basketball? Cutting athletes simply because they're boring is not exactly professional. There is without a doubt that the UFC is a business, but if it ever considers it a sport even a little, it should treat it so. Winning within the rules is still winning, boring or not.

The rules of winning a MMA fight doesn't consist of being exciting, or even finishing fights, as long as the fighter has his/her hand raised at the end of the bout, its a victory. If a fighter is laying on you for 25 minutes, it is the other fighter's responsibility then to know how to get back up, defend take downs, and win the fight from there. This posses a major disadvantage to wrestlers, BJJ practitioners, and more styles that are more or less "boring".

Dana and Rogan always defend Jones' knee kicks and other questionable tactics inside the cage, their response always is "It's within the rules, so he's allowed to do it". I'm a big fan of GSP, but he's been blanketing over guys since Serra, but he's allowed to do it. It seems like the UFC is having some major double standards. Shame on you, Dana White.

Basketball? NBA is a joke of a sports organisation and is closer to WWE then the UFC is.

UFC is a sports league
sports leagues are businesses
UFC is a business
UFC is MMA
MMA is a sport

UFC is business...MMA is sport

most of those sports are mind numbingly boring by default, I think that's how they will compete

At some point people will have to realize they just watch that shit because everyone apparently does and maybe look for something new

UFC is a sports league
sports leagues are businesses
UFC is a business
UFC is MMA
MMA is a sport

ufc is a sports organization like many others problem being it is ran off the whims of an immature idiot many other sports orgs are ran poorly but usually have to contend with owners and player unions giving them some balance
ufc is ran by one dude and all is based off his whims number one contenders mean little if he wants to see another fight, your record means nothing if he wants to cut you thats it, and never speak out against him

The UFC is going broke cannot keep up with College Football on the weekends so they have to cut cost savings and let some good fighters go.

I know they are trying to be a serious sport but they cannot even compete with WWE in terms of ratings and financials how are they expected to go toe toe with Boxing?

Man Dana slap yourself bro.

Every sport is a business. Football, Baseball, Basketball are all entertainment company's. Every sport is simply selling a competitive sport for profit. The UFC is no different of course the UFC wants the most exciting product but it's a sport and what happens happens. UFC try's to make fights which will make it the most money which means the fights the fans want to see

It's prize fighting.

It's the fighters job to fight... but they also have to play a part in generating the prize they're fighting for.

I'd say about half and half. It's Sports Entertainment like professional wrestling. No, I don't mean the fights are scripted but the UFC looks at all things with the eye toward what best benefits them. If it helps the sport, that's fine. If not, they don't really care.

every professional sport is a business. Otherwise, it would be simple recreational.

I'd say about half and half. It's Sports Entertainment like professional wrestling. No, I don't mean the fights are scripted but the UFC looks at all things with the eye toward what best benefits them. If it helps the sport, that's fine. If not, they don't really care.

And the NFL, NHL, NBA etc. does what benefit the sport more and not their monetary and monopolizing ambitions?

It's both morons.

Every sport must be entertaining which leans on the side of business. So you position your sport to be entertaining. If you don't nobody watches.

End this thread already.

Because the shot clock in the NBA isn't to encourage action?

The goal of all sport leagues is ultimately to make money. The UFC is just a lot more shameless about it than other leagues. That doesn't make MMA less of a sport.

What I dont like is boring fighters that fight within.the rules. Change the rules!!!! Start with the way fights are judged and scored. Then add knees and up kicks. Maybe even yellow cards. Then we will see more exciting action filled fights. The rules as is can be exploited. And they can make for some very boring fights. Not the fighters fault.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back